Working Moms

Job Interview, 6 months pregnant

Advice needed: I finally got a job offer after over a year of job searching... I really need the money right now and could use something to do during that day. What should I do? I aced the telephone interview and am going for an interview. She knows I would only be temporary since I'm starting school in september... She just doesn't know I might be leaving early. Is it possible for me to not tell her and just give a mopnths notice before I leave? Or should I let her know and hope it doesn't affect things... I really really need the money :(

I was thinking of telling her since I am showing and writing a letter just explaining it is a healthy and uncomplicated pregnancy and I am capable of work until March 1st. [I'm due the 16th]

Rant: stupid me called my mom and grandma for advice earlier and they both bitched me out to shreds for attempting to get a job while pregnant. Now if I don't get the job, I'll have to deal with their told-you-so's. I also read online it's best not to tell when interviewing but telling when you have a job offer already... so much conflicting advice I'm really nervous and now I feel pressure because my family is so negative and stubborn...and I posted on fb about it and this girl in Edmonton who I was childhood friends with she came out and said she got the same offfer for the same type of job same wage and she's a known liar so if I dont get hired she'll lie and say she did to make me feel like crap and she lives in edmonton so no one can really say anything.

The job is at a call centre and they know I could only work until September due to school, [its fulltime], so it means the period they expected me for would be shortened, but it has a very fast turnaround rate since it's Collections..

I live in Canada btw. :)

Re: Job Interview, 6 months pregnant

• I'm confused. You have a job offer but are still interviewing.

Don't bring it up during the interview. If asked about your availability, tell them your plans. If you have the job already, tell them.

DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • Loading the player...
  • I am a little confused, but it sounds like you are interviewing still, right?  I had an interview for a 1 year contract job when I was six months pregnant.  I told them I was pregnant at the interview because I wanted to make sure they would give me leave and let me come back to finish the rest of the contract.  It worked out for me telling them at the interview and I got the job (plus 12 weeks of leave), but I know that isn't always the case. 

I think you should wait until you have the offer and then tell them your plan as part of accepting the position. But really, before you do anything, get a feel for the potential employer.  If you feel comfortable telling them in the interview then go for it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know Canadian law but in the US they cannot discriminate based on pregnancy (i.e., it should not factor into their decision) but don't say anything during the interview process. 
    BabyFetus Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"