3rd Trimester

Preparing for the physical examination...

So starting next week I'll be 36 weeks and my doctor will start checking how much I am progressed with the physical exam......I know its can be painful so it there anything you can do to be ready for it or do you just have to breathe and deal with it?

Re: Preparing for the physical examination...

• You just deal with it...from my experience...they are the most painful when your cervix is still very posterior and high up.  It isn't as painful when it starts coming forward and down...but that is just me!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • FWIW, you don't HAVE to just deal with it.   The exams are optional and the results don't really mean anything anyway.

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Loading the player...
  • j ust relax when the doctor is examining you. if you tense up it can hurt. youll be fine.
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker

Anniversary

imageimage

I'm a Dork. I Can't Wait for Dumb and Dumber To!

ME 28 - DH 30 ♥♥Married 7/25/2009♥♥
    Father's Day 2014 - 6/15/14 BFP!
    DD Born 12/8/2011 I Love my Mini-Me

• First of all, you can obviously decline the exam.  It is not revealing in any meaningful way.

If you don't decline, it is quick, a few seconds, and nothing compared to labour.  Wink

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • imagepinksweetpea2:

FWIW, you don't HAVE to just deal with it.   The exams are optional and the results don't really mean anything anyway.

THIS!!

• Definitely understand that you can decline. I plan to when I get to that point. I don't want anyone's fingers in me that don't have to be and honestly I don't want to risk being discouraged by the findings.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The only part that actually hurt was having to lay flat on my back. It's just too much weight for my back to take. Other than that, no big deal. He always asks if I even want him to check and I say yes because I am curious.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • it really wasnt that painful for me with my first pregnancy. i was more scared/nervous about the exams and they honestly didnt hurt when mine were done. my practice has different doctors that you see each time and one actually told me before she did the exam "I'm no Dr. ___, I don't have small hands"....too funny. I honestly was more scared of the post-partum internal exam, but that was not painful either...probably bc I was all stretched out from a child going through there, haha!
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had an internal done when my doctor did my strep B at 35 weeks, because she was down there anyway and she politely asked, "Would you like me to check you?" She did. It didn't hurt at all. I mean, it wasn't comfortable, but I didn't jump to the ceiling or anything. And I found out that I'm 1-2cm dilated, 70% effaced , and +1 station, which made me pretty excited.

I honestly didn't even know it was supposed to hurt til I saw this thread!! I've seriously had worse paps in my life than this. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Put me in the "internals didn't hurt" camp.  So please try to relax and not panic until you find out what it's like for you...you may be worrying for nothing :)

TTC #1 for one year with annovulation....
    Clomid Cycle #1: 50mg = BFP
    =Beautiful baby girl born May 23, 2009
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    TTC#2: BFP Cycle #1, no fertility meds!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I honestly have to say that a Pap pre-preg is more painful than what the exams are at this point because your hormones have likely loosened things up a bit "down there" in prep for LO's arrival...  It's more the anticipation freak-out than anything else.  By the time you're done with L&D it'll be like "whatever" (really wish I was kidding...)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"