3rd Trimester

Do all 1st time Moms think they'll go early?

I know that it's more common for 1st time moms to deliver past their due dates, but it seems like we're all so sure we're going to have our babies early. This might be because we haven't experienced pregnancy and birth before. Either way I'm feeling like I'll deliver this baby early! Do I have a case of the 1st time momma or is this legit? I'll let you ladies tell me! 

I'm only 33 weeks. A week ago today I was 2 cm dilated & 60% effaced. Lo dropped on Tuesday. I'm having BH every day now & sometimes they are as close as 10 minutes apart. By when I missed my period I should be 2 weeks further along than I am, but 1st sono put me 2 weeks later & I haven't had my due date re-evaluated.

Does this sound like I'll be early or do I sound like every other first time mom? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Do all 1st time Moms think they'll go early?

• I don't think I'll go early.  My due date is March 6th, but I keep telling everyone "early to mid-March" so I'm mentally prepared to go later.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Most go late...
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • ***lurking***

I was a FTM and I didn't think I was going early and I did. I was only 50% effaced and not dilated at 38 weeks but went into labor at 38.5 days 

Back to your question. I am a L&D nurse and you can walk around 2 cm dilated for weeks. Was there a reason your office checked you so early? Do your BH contractions go away when you drink a lot of fluid, change position, or relax?  If not then you need to keep timing and track of them because they could be actual contractions. You are in active labor if your cervix is making changes. So if it's not it's possible to be 2 cm for weeks or you could go early. GL and HTH 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I did the same thing for awhile but then someone said to me "its probably just because you want to go early".

My original due date from my missed period would have put me last friday, but then I measured for Dec 12...its such a guesstimate (my made up word).

Waiting ( even though I want the baby to be ready and not rushed) is the HARDEST part

• I just hope heredity has nothing to do with it. My mom was 2 weeks late with me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I always hear first time moms say they're going to go early. I just roll my eyes. My best friend was due yesterday, was convinced he'd be here by Thanksgiving, and she's still pregnant. 

I think there's no point over-analyzing your current progress, you have no idea when you'll go. When it's time, you'll know it. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageabailey1823:

***lurking***

I was a FTM and I didn't think I was going early and I did. I was only 50% effaced and not dilated at 38 weeks but went into labor at 38.5 days 

Back to your question. I am a L&D nurse and you can walk around 2 cm dilated for weeks. Was there a reason your office checked you so early? Do your BH contractions go away when you drink a lot of fluid, change position, or relax?  If not then you need to keep timing and track of them because they could be actual contractions. You are in active labor if your cervix is making changes. So if it's not it's possible to be 2 cm for weeks or you could go early. GL and HTH 

I went to labor & delivery for bad cramping & back pain that didn't subside with resting all day and drinking a ton of water. That's when they checked me. I didn't dilate any further the hour I was there so they sent me home. 

• My dr said at my first appt that because of my age (I'm 23) and small stature I'll prob deliver early. He hasnt mentioned anything about it since but Ive kinda held onto that comment as Solid Fact, which its not but... it just feels like it lol  

• I had my daughter at 34 weeks and NEVER once thought that was going to happen...
  • imagejewerner:

My dr said at my first appt that because of my age (I'm 23) and small stature I'll prob deliver early. 

I would LOVE to see the statistics that support this theory. LOL  

The average for FTMs is 41 weeks and 2 days, but it seems that most of them think they are going early.  I think it is because so many OBs imply that dilation, effacement, etc. means that they will...when none of those things mean anything until you are actually in labor. 

It is better to think your baby is going to come late and be pleasantly surprised if they come early....and this is coming from a Mama who had her first 3 weeks past her EDD.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• I didn't think I'd go early but then at 33 weeks I went into preterm labor. After that I was put on bed rest and the dr. kept telling me that he didn't think I'd make it to term. Well, DD was born at 42 weeks! 

Oh, and I was walking around at 4cm & 80% for a month so stats don't really mean anything as far as when you'll go into labor. 

Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My mom and both of my sisters were late with their first children, between 3 days and over a week. So I'm guessing I'll probably be late as well.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In all likelyhood, I'll go late (FTM). But it could go early, all 3 of my mom's children where early. So, who knows! :-)

• My doctor has said I could have a New Years baby, or I could go early. I don't take any of it to heart though. No one knows when your body will decide to go into labour.

Anytime after 38 weeks is fine with me, but in my mind I'm prepared to go into January if I go late.

• It seems like all FTMs say they have a feeling they'll go early. I think it's because you can't imagine going to or past your EDD.
    Going by your LMP can be quite inaccurate, since you don't know when you ovulated. Early ultrasounds are more accurate. Also, dilation and effacement don't mean much. My doctors office doesn't even do them until you're in labor or past your EDD. It can just get your hopes up.
    Sorry, but you might want to mentally prepare to go late and then be pleasantly surprised if you do go early! :-)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • I went into labor naturally and delivered my first at 39 weeks so it's not out of the question. 

• I'm preparing myself for going into March . . . which is over a week late. Then if I do end up delivering in February it will be a pleasant surprise =)
    Baby #2 - BFP 6/13/2014 - EDD 2/17/2015 BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepurpletulip:
    It seems like all FTMs say they have a feeling they'll go early. I think it's because you can't imagine going to or past your EDD.
    Going by your LMP can be quite inaccurate, since you don't know when you ovulated. Early ultrasounds are more accurate. Also, dilation and effacement don't mean much. My doctors office doesn't even do them until you're in labor or past your EDD. It can just get your hopes up.
    Sorry, but you might want to mentally prepare to go late and then be pleasantly surprised if you do go early! :-)

I'll ditto all of this.  It's also hard because you need to be prepared to go early, so if you're not forcing yourself to think that you'll go later, you forget once you look at your finished nursery and the carseat in the car that it could still be a whole month!  It's easier to remember if you've been there and if the whole situation is a little more matter of fact, and the kid crap has been everywhere the whole time :-)

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am guilty of this. Well, not really..I am not convinced she's coming early. I have no idea. I'm already incredibly crampy, and have been for weeks, which is the only thing that makes me think she could possibly come a little early. It's mostly just wishful thinking, I know. I want her to be my Christmas present.
  • When I had my daughter, I was actually the opposite: I was actually convinced that I'd go so far overdue that I'd have to be induced.  I think it's because I had trouble believing that my body would actual do what it's supposed to for once, lol.

Also, two days before I had my daughter, I was not dilated at all, nor had the baby dropped.  You really never know.  And I was only 6 days overdue and didn't have to be induced :)

TTC #1 for one year with annovulation....
    Clomid Cycle #1: 50mg = BFP
    =Beautiful baby girl born May 23, 2009
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    TTC#2: BFP Cycle #1, no fertility meds!
  • I didn't think I would go early with DD, which is good because she came 9 days late. My friend had her first 5 wks early and was expected to go early with her second. Well at 34 wks she was 4 cm dilated and very effaced. She had to be induced a couple days past her due date. You just never know. :)
  • I seriously think I'm going to go late.  I get the feeling for exactly one week late actually, don't really know why.  So I don't think all FTMs think they'll go early.  Of course, I'm sure we all feel like we're ready to go once we reach the third trimester. 
  • I'm not really concerned with going late. I'm being induced a week before my due date for medical reasons. But all the advice and stories were great to read! I guess I do have a case of the ftm & would love for her to be my Christmas present! Thanks ladies :)
  • Unfortunately, or fortunately since you are so early, "progress" really isn't until labor starts. You could sit at 2 cm until 42 weeks or go into labor with no dilation at all. You can even reverse. But the bright side is that the more dilated you are before labor, the less progress you have to do to get her out. :)

That said, my mom had all of her children very early, all before 35 weeks, and all good weights and able to go home same day. I had mine at 38 and 36 weeks and always "knew" I would go early. With my first, I only dilated to a 2cm before my water broke, and with my second I was 5cm before labor became active. The doctor has told me I have a short cervix and a shorter gestational period that is hereditary.

Soo...you could go early...or you may not. :) Good luck!

My "Irish twins" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

pPROM at 27 weeks, Birdy born at 28 weeks at 2lb 7oz.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I was convinced with DS that I would go early. Then, I had to be induced at 10 days overdue.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom went 2-4 weeks early with all three of her non-twin pregnancies (and all were 7-8 lb babies) so it's always been in the back of my mind that it may be a possibility. I'm trying to prepare myself to go late, though, because I have no idea if that sort of a thing is hereditary.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"