2nd Trimester

What are your parenting pet peeves? (uh oh, controversy)

I think this will be an interesting topic since we have both FTMs and experienced mommas on this board.

So, what things do you see other parents do that just irk your nerves?

For me, its when I see parents telling their children that they can't have something because they can't afford it. Your 2 year old does not need an explanation as to why you are telling them no....and they don't need to feel guilty because they wanted a candy bar. A simple "no" works just fine. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What are your parenting pet peeves? (uh oh, controversy)

• NO DISCIPLINE. It drives me crazy. Yes, I am against child abuse and beating. But when your 5 year old daughter is throwing a temper tantrum on the floor of the grocery store because you won't buy the cereal she wants, I think that deserves a swat on the behind. I hate it when parents ignore it and just let the child act like a brat, especially when they do it with EVERYTHING!   grrr!

ok, angry rant over. :-)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Parents that just flat out dont watch their kids in public places!

C'mon people!!! Round up your kids and keep them with you when you are out!  

• Loading the player...
  • condescending second-time moms
  • SIL & BIL smoke non-stop around the kids and let them eat garbage. I swear, these kids fill up on candy and Mt. Dew and I don't ever think I've seen them eat a vegetable! It drives DH & I NUTSO!!!

Also, people that put their kids on leashes. Ugh, don't get me started!

First came love, then came marriage - Oct 31, 09
    Then came a miscarriage March '11
    Then came a baby in the baby carriage May 16, 12

Waiting on our second little peanut!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this one.....

It drives me crazy to see little ones (some 18 months and up) still running around with pacifiers....I think it's weird that they suck on them, pull them out of their mouth to talk and put them back in...it's just goofy and it can spread germs to other little ones who find them lying around and pick them up (no i'm not a germ-aphobe either).

Just my thoughts for the day. :)

Oh and FYI my little one was done with his paci (quite fine with it I might ad) by 9 months. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hate when parents melt down in front of their kids in public. I hate to see parents hitting /screaming crazily at their children. Remove the kid from the situation, and then discipline properly. Be the adult! I don't know how making more of a scene ever helps anyone.  

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • on the subject of shopping.. cant stand it when a kid thinks he/she is going to get something everytime you go somewhere.. "mommy, mommy, mommy, can i have this? mommy, can i have that? mommy, mommy, mommy????"

this is me, "SHUT UP!!!!!" haha makes me wanna pull my hair out.

• I totally agree with the discipline/yelling at their kids in public.

My mom had this certain look that she'd shoot me, and I stfu really fast whenever I saw it. 

• imageJennyJensing:

Also, people that put their kids on leashes 

DO you mean the backpack leash?  I used to think that but on the boards last time there was a woman that said that if she didn't put her child in one their elbow would dislocate if they fell while holding someone's hand, or they pulled to go in a different direction or to run or what have you.  I never really thought about the fact there is a good reason for them, it really changed my opinion of them. 

• When parents say their kids will only eat certain foods and end up making the kid the same thing meal after meal when the rest of the family is eating something else. If kids are hungry, they will eat what's in front of them.
  • imageTwilightMV:

I hate when parents melt down in front of their kids in public. I hate to see parents hitting /screaming crazily at their children. Remove the kid from the situation, and then discipline properly. Be the adult! I don't know how making more of a scene ever helps anyone.  

This!!!!! And my other SIL has a few friends that are from my DH's small hometown that are VERY gossipy and she will talk mad $hit about people right in front of her kids. Ok, so just because you are a biitch, doesn't mean you need to teach your kids how to be one.

First came love, then came marriage - Oct 31, 09
    Then came a miscarriage March '11
    Then came a baby in the baby carriage May 16, 12

Waiting on our second little peanut!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Totally agree with yelling at kids in public, I just feel so bad for the little ones being screamed at. I can only imagine how those parents speak to their kids in private! I know my two year isn't an angel and when he acts up in a store, we leave. I put back my items and we leave the store. He knows I mean business when I say we're leaving and he tends to be much better the next few times we're out. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagenoycela:
    When parents say their kids will only eat certain foods and end up making the kid the same thing meal after meal when the rest of the family is eating something else. If kids are hungry, they will eat what's in front of them.

oh i know! when you say that in front of them, you are only reinforcing the food habbit and makes it harder to get them to try other things.

• imageHannahO28:
    condescending second-time moms
    I am only quoting this because I pretty much have to sit on my hands for most of them in this thread. So I don't come off as a condescending non-first-timer. As the saying goes...walk a mile in their shoes. lol
  • I hate the parents that are trying to relive their childhood through their child.  If you didn't have a lot when you were little, don't drown your kids in stuff, they will not appreciate it like you want them to.  Also, if you miss being in pageants, get over it, don't dress your kids up as tartlets and prance them about.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree.

Also when their kid is throwing a tantrum in the cart and the mom says, "Stop that right now!  You are getting a BIG SPANKING when we go home!!!"  How about telling your kid that you don't accept that behavior right now and do something about it RIGHT NOW!  Like leave your cart and have a talk in the car.  I have straight up left a full cart before when one of my girls threw a tantrum in public.  It's a behavior that needs immediate intervention otherwise it keeps going.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Parents who are all about "choices". Now, Johnny was that good choice to throw that rock at Jimmy and cause him to need 10 stitches? 

Or the ones like my Sis and BIL who thinks its the rest of the family's job to watch their kids so they can play on their computers or smartphones. 

Self-righteous parents who think I've raised my daughter badly because I'm a single mom. Yeah, that's why my kid is in the National Honor Society while yours is out behind the dumpsters doing whip-its.   

• imageFyreFlyeRush:

Parents who are all about "choices". Now, Johnny was that good choice to throw that rock at Jimmy and cause him to need 10 stitches? 

Or the ones like my Sis and BIL who thinks its the rest of the family's job to watch their kids so they can play on their computers or smartphones. 

Self-righteous parents who think I've raised my daughter badly because I'm a single mom. Yeah, that's why my kid is in the National Honor Society while yours is out behind the dumpsters doing whip-its.   

I adore you. 

• I have several. The first being that acquaintances of ours who have had children in the last year or so think they are suddenly parenting geniuses and that I need to know everything they think is right or wrong. Ugh!

*Kids that hit. My child will NOT be taught that hitting is ever okay, entertaining, cute, etc. My nephew is one and my BIL thinks it is hilarious and applauds him when the baby smacks people in the face. What does he think this kid is going to grow up to be?

*Seeing babies out in public without proper clothing on. I see these teeny infants without pants or socks and it drives me insane. Babies are colder than we are people!

*Parents that are scared of their child causing a scene. You better believe I won't be scared of my kid. I am more stubborn, I can scream louder and I'm not afraid to pull my child away from everyone else and straighten them out.

I tell my husband all the time we will NOT raise bratty children. I know everyone says that but honestly, that's my biggest hope as a parent.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageACC0512:
    imageHannahO28:
    condescending second-time moms
    I am only quoting this because I pretty much have to sit on my hands for most of them in this thread. So I don't come off as a condescending non-first-timer. As the saying goes...walk a mile in their shoes. lol

Yes

I get irritated when parents think that it's cute that their child is bothering someone else in a waiting room. For example, I was waiting in OB triage a while ago with my son and a toddler comes over to see DS. Normally not an issue, but this kid is literally sneezing all over DS and trying to grab his toys and his father is standing behind him trying to talk to me (while I sit there waiting to see if I'm miscarrying). The toddler finally moved on to another kid across the room, and was doing the same thing. Dude, no one else thinks your sick kid is amusing, and most of us are pregnant. Get a clue. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Living in NYC I have to say my biggest is moms with carriages on the phone/talking to their friend by their side/texting with headphones on who don't look as they're crossing the street/in a parking lot. NYC drivers are crazy and you need to put your focus on where you are pushing your baby! DH and I will ALWAYS stop no matter what, but other people are animals! Scares the crap out of me!!

Also, parents who ignore their child in a store when they are not being obnoxious, then yell at them when they finally do pay attention and it ends up being the kid having to go to the bathroom. Don't get mad at them for not pissing their pants!

imagePrincessMenace:

imagenoycela:
    When parents say their kids will only eat certain foods and end up making the kid the same thing meal after meal when the rest of the family is eating something else. If kids are hungry, they will eat what's in front of them.

oh i know! when you say that in front of them, you are only reinforcing the food habbit and makes it harder to get them to try other things.

THIS!! My step brother refused to eat anything but chicken fingers and french fries as a child. Now at 21 I hardly see him eat anything else... despite the whole family having a different dinner with more than enough for him.

imageimage
  • imageLeah&Jack:
    Constant FB updates about potty training and other kid crap pisses me off after awhile. I don't mind the occasional funny kid comment, but most of the stuff I see on my feed should be on STFUparents.com.

^ This exactly. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hate it when toddlers say curse words.  Horrible things like the f word, and because the kid is just two or three the adults laugh and think its cute and funny.  There is nothing funny about a two year old saying the f word.
  • Parents who stick infants in front of the TV (and I'm talking, months old babies who obviously have no idea what's going on but are already learning to be glued to the thing), smoke around children/while pregnant, and feed them junk food at all hours of the day and night.
  • People that swear at or in front of their kids. There is no reason why you can't find a better word to use with your own children or in front of someone else's.

Saying your kids don't listen but then letting them do whatever they want.

Not using carseats. There is no excuse on this one.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Honestly....I learned a long time ago, not to judge. Every child, parent, and situation is different and I don't know the whole story. Being a parent is the hardest thing I have ever done and I am a pretty disciplined and well educated lady. There is no such thing as perfect parenting because there is no such thing as perfect children. We just learn as we go and do the best we can, and "when we know better, we do better."

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• imagecwie828:

*Seeing babies out in public without proper clothing on. I see these teeny infants without pants or socks and it drives me insane. Babies are colder than we are people!

Actually, they aren't. You are supposed to dress them however you would be comfortable for the given temperature. So if they don't have pants, but do have a blanket over their carrier, ok. They also have more brown fat, which is much better at regulating their body temperature than our white fat.

• imagebloverde:

imagecwie828:

Actually, they aren't. You are supposed to dress them however you would be comfortable for the given temperature. So if they don't have pants, but do have a blanket over their carrier, ok. They also have more brown fat, which is much better at regulating their body temperature than our white fat.

Mmmm Pretty sure I don't go out in public with no pants on or something on my feet ever. When I see a baby being wheeled around in a freezing cold grocery store (even if its the middle of summer) it makes me angry. What is so hard about putting pants on your infant?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • because toddlers & tiaras is on TLC right now... I have to say these CRAZY pageant moms drive me crazy! I'm not against pageants... just these mothers who totally spoil their children and treat their 4yr old like adults. Discipline your kids people! And don't objectify them either, little kids do not need to be sexy... ugg it just makes me sick.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I hate when parents say "I just can't get his paci away." or I just can't wean my 2 year old off a bottle to a sippy cupt". 

Ummm. They weigh 30 lbs tops? Take it away! They will eventually fall asleep without the pacifier or be hungry/thirsty enough to drink out of a cup. 

• Did you even read the rest of my post? And in the summer, yeah, I'm pretty sure many adults wear shorts and flip flops. 
  • I have 2 biggies...

1. My BIL and his BSC wife smoke around their baby, a lot. Like they will light up a cigarette with one hand while the other is hold the baby. Drives. Me. Nuts. 

2. My cousin is one who allows her boys to be OBNOXIOUS in the store. She totally ignores all the screaming and temper tantrums and everything while she continues to shop, but lord help one of those boys (a 1 yr old and a 3 yr old) who says the wrong thing too many times because then they get a pop in the face. 

I try really hard not to judge other people parenting styles but I have never smacked my daughter on her mouth, ever, and I really don't find it to be an appropriate discipline technique. And smoke if you want to but don't force the negative health risks on your child.

WDE!!! Pictures, Images and Photos Auburn Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DD1- 12/26/05 DD2- 4/12/12
  • Regarding tantrums in the store - I don't love it when it happens, but I also don't care much if the parent is ignoring it on purpose.  My friend did the hustle and run thing a few times with her son before realizing the tantrums had ratcheted up and were happening every trip.  He wanted to leave.  He found the store boring.  He didn't like being restrained/kept near her, and quickly realized that he got what he wanted when he threw tantrums.

It took two or three tantrums (the full high-pitched shrieks, wailing, body crumpled on the ground) while she continued to shop and ignore it except for comments like "We're moving to the next aisle now, and it's going to take longer if you stay there." and quickly realizing she was serious, and then realizing he was getting disapproving looks from strangers and he stopped.  My friend said it was torture, because everyone glared at her and it frayed her nerves to hear him yell like that and she hated that he was causing a scene, but she couldn't continue what was happening.  

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

My Blog

• Parents who bring babies and small toddlers to loud sporting events. It makes me want to punch the parents in the face when I see their kids plugging their ears because it's too loud for them. The parents should take their kids and leave once they realize it's affecting the child to the point where they have to cover their ears. 
  • My pet peeve is the pacifier/bottle/sippy cup beyond certain ages.  My niece in first grade was still drinking out of a sippy cup, and I was blown away.  I think that's ridiculous.

I did sympathize with my sister though, whose son was a big, big boy.  He was in 3T at 18 months, as an example.  There was a point where people side-eyed her for the pacifier, because he looked older than he was.  I try to remember that kids are all sizes and just because the kid looks tall enough to be 2 doesn't mean s/he is.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

My Blog

• imageJennyJensing:

SIL & BIL smoke non-stop around the kids and let them eat garbage. I swear, these kids fill up on candy and Mt. Dew and I don't ever think I've seen them eat a vegetable! It drives DH & I NUTSO!!!

I'd seriously LOVE to see you try and get through a crowded airport during holiday travel season flying alone with a 17 month old who RUNS and a 6 week old. Lol. Only time I've ever used the backpack harness but it was absolutely needed. I was sure I'd NEVER need to use one until that situation came up and it was a huge lifesaver.

DC1 (2.5) | DC2 (1) | #3 due 6.1.2012
  • imageeasjer05:

I did sympathize with my sister though, whose son was a big, big boy.  He was in 3T at 18 months, as an example.  There was a point where people side-eyed her for the pacifier, because he looked older than he was.  I try to remember that kids are all sizes and just because the kid looks tall enough to be 2 doesn't mean s/he is.

My daughter is 2 and wears 4T-5T.  We get dirty looks everywhere for almost everything.  People just assume she is older than she is and the fact that she is in diapers, or doesn't talk well {don't even get me started}, or throws tantrums.  The judgement has been that way since she was a baby...she was just so big people jumped to conclusions.  

• imageJennyJensing:

This comment drives me crazy.  Especially when it comes from someone who doesn't know what it is to have a toddler who doesn't want to be strapped in a stroller during an outing in a crowded place.  It's not a leash, it's a harness and it allows kids to explore their surroundings in a safe manner.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • People who make excuses for their children.  No matter what it is.  Your kid has a pacifier, doesn't listen and acts that way b/c of you.  If you make excuses now instead of using your energy to correct the behavior it will only get worse.  I also think there are appropriate times to take you toddler out to eat 11 pm is not one of them and if you bring you poor tired child out ask to sit away from patrons and get up when they scream, you are just being lazy!
  • The "I'm the adult hear me roar" thing makes me giggle.  I pick my battles.  Some of these listed are things we wouldn't do.  But some of them just really aren't worth dealing with the tantrums and meltdowns...if it doesn't hurt them...and it's not actually interfering in your life...who cares.  There is no reason to have to fight my toddler all day every day so that she can appear perfect and I can look like a good mother to a bunch of people in public. lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"