2nd Trimester
Options

job interviewing when pregnant

I left my job almost two years ago to recover from some medical issues and try and start my own business.  My business is coming along, but at a snail's pace.  I really needed to start contributing more to our savings/expenses so I started applying for full-time jobs over the summer since my business is mostly nights and weekends anyway.  

I continued to apply to jobs after I found out I was pregnant, but honestly, I hadn't had much luck so I thought it was useless anyway.  Of course this week I've gotten calls about two different jobs and have interviews set up for tomorrow and next week.  I'm really struggling with when I should mention my pregnancy, if at all.  I'm 16 weeks, but am not showing at all, and I am on the heavier side so I may not show for a while, and could probably hide it for a little while once I do begin to show.

I'd feel like I was deceiving them if I didn't mention it until after I was offered or accepted a position (assuming that even happened), but on the other hand I just don't think anyone would hire me if they knew I was pregnant (I know it's illegal to discriminate against pregnant woman blah blah blah, but I also know it happens).

So, WWYD?  Any wisdom or advice would be appreciated!

DS - 7.5
DD #1 - 6
~ mmc 7.11.2018 @ 9w ~
DD#2 - born 12.24.19

Re: job interviewing when pregnant

• Options

I was in the SAME SITUATION as you. Exactly the same. LOL.

I was about as far along as you are, and it wasn't all that noticeable, especially when I wore T-shirts (I was interviewing at a casual restaurant to be a server, so a T-shirt was appropriate attire).

By law, you are not required to voluntarily disclose with a potential employer that you're pregnant. The guy who was interviewing me didn't ask, though, so I didn't have a hard time avoiding it. On the part of the application that said "Restrictions," I left it blank, figuring that he would ask me why. He didn't.

An employer is also not allowed to fire you solely on the basis of being pregnant. That said, it can be hard to prove why you were fired, and it would probably be difficult to get proof that it was actually because of your pregnancy.

So I got offered the job, and I took it. To make sure that there would be no reason I could get fired, I worked my butt off for the first couple of weeks to establish that I was a good worker and that I valued my job. That would be my advice to you. HTH

• Options

You need to look out for you and your LO. Don't feel bad about interviewing/taking a new job. It's not like you'll be gone that long when the baby arrives anyway...  You have just as much of a right to a job as a non-pregnant person does and you shouldn't feel bad/deceptive about it for a second. You don't have to tell them about your pregnancy and you shouldn't tell them before they've made their decision about you IMO. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would recommend not mentioning it. Employers aren't supposed to discriminate if they know you are pregnant but, lets face it--theres a good chance they will. If the interview goes well, and they offer you the job, you can negotiate for maternity leave, etc., then.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Tell them after you've gotten the offer, and before you accept the position.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks for your responses, everyone.

imagehuskymomma94:
    I would recommend not mentioning it. Employers aren't supposed to discriminate if they know you are pregnant but, lets face it--theres a good chance they will. If the interview goes well, and they offer you the job, you can negotiate for maternity leave, etc., then.

So, huskymama, you think that I could negotiate maternity leave?  That would be nice, as I'd like to take more than 6 weeks if possible.  I honestly didnt even think about this as a possibility.

DS - 7.5
    DD #1 - 6
    ~ mmc 7.11.2018 @ 9w ~
    DD#2 - born 12.24.19

• Options

I would interview and not tell them you are pregnant. You do have to look out for yourself and your family.

Good luck with the interviews!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMcKBaby:

Thanks for your responses, everyone.

imagehuskymomma94:

So, huskymama, you think that I could negotiate maternity leave?  That would be nice, as I'd like to take more than 6 weeks if possible.  I honestly didnt even think about this as a possibility.

I would. I mean, they probably aren't going to offer you paid leave, but if you start out saying that you will need 8-12 weeks (or whatever), I think thats completely reasonable.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageMattysGirl09:
    Tell them after you've gotten the offer, and before you accept the position.

This, so that way if they was to change their mind once they find out that would be discrimination and you can negotiate maternity leave before you accept the offer ...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I accepted a year contract position even tho I knew I was pregnant and would be on mat. leave for half of the contract.. I didn't say a word until I was 4 months the company was really supportive and said even when I am on mat. leave they will continue to send me job positing and keep me updated through company news letters... I felt really bad about it but sometimes you need to do whats is right for you and not to pass up a good opportunity 
  • Options

I think you need to be realistic about working and long term. Do you think you will continue to work after you have the baby?

I don't know what field of work you are looking for and the ramp up time it takes to be able to do your job. Keep in mind since it would be a new job you wouldn't be covered by FMLA so by that token they don't have to save a job for you in the event you would come back to work after having LO.

TTC since November 2010
    BFP: March 22, 2011 M/C: April 8, 2011 @ 7 weeks
    BFP: June 29, 2011!!! Crossing my fingers for a sticky baby :)
    LO Born early March 2012 We are so blessed image
  • Options
    A good time to tell them is when you are offered the job and you are in the negotiation stage to accept
  • Options
    imageBOTB2011:

I think you need to be realistic about working and long term. Do you think you will continue to work after you have the baby?

I don't know what field of work you are looking for and the ramp up time it takes to be able to do your job. Keep in mind since it would be a new job you wouldn't be covered by FMLA so by that token they don't have to save a job for you in the event you would come back to work after having LO.

This. I'm an employer and I'd be pretty irked if I hired someone and they failed to advise me they were pregnant until after they started employment - and the person was nearly halfway through the pregnancy. In fact, I would question their honesty,commitment and integrity. You should advise of your pregnancy after the offer and before you accept. You won't be covered under FMLA so they do to have to hold your position. As far  as negotiating any type of maternity leave, that completely depends on what type of job/ position/responsibility you are applying for.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Interview...and don't bring it up. Legally and morally, it has no bearing on whether you'd be the right person for the job. Only feel bad if you plan to use them for maternity leave and not come back to work afterwards....then you should be up-front. Or maybe if you're leave would be a huge burden on a small business or something? 

Having worked at a past company where a pregnant woman interviewed (and they didn't know)...the HR people were really kicking themselves. They wouldn't have offered her the job, had they known (illegal as that is, it seems to be an unwritten understanding at MANY places). Once she got there, it was no big deal...she just went through the normal procedures of informing HR, etc. Unfortunately...she did end up not coming back after leave, but the team was pretty messed up by that point anyways :(

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"