Preemies

Pissed @ intern! vent...

Liam is on the blue team at the hospital, it is a teaching hospital, so the Interns switch every 30 days. Thats fine, he still has the same attendings. This flipping Intern this morning said I was lying when I mentioned something that happened yesterday! And yesterday basicly said I did not know what I was talking about! When my SP told me what she said this morning I almost turned around and went to confront her. She has me soo pissed off right now, and I am supossed to be ok with her treating my son!! The part today with roounds that did put a smile on my face was when the attending was asking her questions and she did not know the answers to, but I did! HA!!! The attending was not to happy with her this morning either!!  I could go on but vent over!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Pissed @ intern! vent...

• I feel like you shouldn't be expected to know everything as an intern, but you d@mn well better have an attitude that portrays your willingness to learn the things you don't know. And it was definitely out of line for her to try and correct you. Yes, there are plenty of times when patients (or patient's mommies) ARE wrong, but not all the time and it's wrong to lump all patients together as uninformed dolts. Sorry you had to deal with her, but I hope your LO gets discharged while she's still on and you don't have to deal with another 30+ days in NICU!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageflutepharm87:
    I feel like you shouldn't be expected to know everything as an intern, but you d@mn well better have an attitude that portrays your willingness to learn the things you don't know.

This x1000

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • imagekatie4253:

imageflutepharm87:
    I feel like you shouldn't be expected to know everything as an intern, but you d@mn well better have an attitude that portrays your willingness to learn the things you don't know.

This x1000

I 2nd this x 1000. I really think that you should speak to his/her superior about this. I find teaching hospital to be full of egos especially if the hospital has a great reputation. My daughter was at a teaching hospital, which also is one of the best childrens hospitals in the country, and my DH corrected an attending which did not sit well woth the attending. You know you LO better than anyone and you are not there to stroke egos.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageChickensFive:
    imagekatie4253:

imageflutepharm87:

This x1000

I 2nd this x 1000. I really think that you should speak to his/her superior about this. I find teaching hospital to be full of egos especially if the hospital has a great reputation. My daughter was at a teaching hospital, which also is one of the best childrens hospitals in the country, and my DH corrected an attending which did not sit well woth the attending. You know you LO better than anyone and you are not there to stroke egos.

The intern needs to know this...you are THE expert on your child.  He/she is now almost halfway into her 1st year, he/she needs to get with the program!  My guess is (after seeing many residents/interns go through training) that the interns that have issues here and there have a hard time with residency in general, and they weed themselves out.  You can't only have the booksmarts, you need to be good with people too, I don't think everyone realizes this...the intern you dealt with needs to understand this.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimage
  • imagelilstar2009:

The intern needs to know this...you are THE expert on your child.  He/she is now almost halfway into her 1st year, he/she needs to get with the program!  My guess is (after seeing many residents/interns go through training) that the interns that have issues here and there have a hard time with residency in general, and they weed themselves out.  You can't only have the booksmarts, you need to be good with people too, I don't think everyone realizes this...the intern you dealt with needs to understand this.

THIS!!!! A very important part of residency, esp. in peds, is learning how to interact with families. This intern needs to learn that having the families as her ally is the #1 thing she can do to take better care of her families. Don't hesitate to tell her how she made you feel or talk to the attending about it. Someone really needs to tell her to tone it down a notch. Sometimes at a teaching hospital the families and patients are the most important teachers!! ((HUGS))

BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • I work with residents and let me tell you, PLEASE tell the attending of how they are treating you. They get evaluated sometimes daily (if not after every rotation) and this can be part of their evaluations.  Being a doctor is so much more than knowledge, patient care plays a huge role.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"