November 2011 Moms

XP: Where does your LO sleep?

I need help/ideas! LO pretty much won't sleep in his crib. After his night feedings I can usually rock him to sleep then lay him in his crib, but after a couple minutes he cries. I give him his pacifier and all is good until 10-30 mins later when it comes out. I've tried putting him in his bouncer or swing and that works for about an hour then he's up again. The other night FI was laying on the couch with him and he slept 6 hours straight (FI was awake the whole time). Am I trying too soon to put him in his crib alone?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: XP: Where does your LO sleep?

• DS sleeps in a bassinet right next to the bed-- that way, I don't even have to get up to put his pacifier back in when he loses it. We'll move him into his crib when he starts sleeping through the night. (For DS1, this was at 5 weeks.)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • All babies are different when it comes to sleep. My son was a horrible sleeper and I finally gave in to bedsharing with him. He would only fall asleep when held and would usually wake up if he was set down. He even slept in the pack n play right next to my bed and that was not close enough. He needed to be right next to my warm body. He will be 4 in February and we still occasionally let him sleep with us, and if he wakes up during the night in his bed (which is about 50% of them time) he will come crawl into our bed.

I did not start any differently with my daughter than with my son, but she is already a much better sleeper. I can put her down awake and she will fall asleep and if she falls asleep on one of us, we can set her down and she will stay asleep. We bought the Fisher Price Rock n Play Sleeper for her since I heard so many good things about it and she seems to love it so far. She has slept through the night 5 times already and she is breastfed and just over 2 weeks! If she doesn't sleep all night, the earliest she wakes up is 4am. So different than my son!

One thing that seemed to help both of my children sleep well is swaddling. DD is a pretty calm, deep sleeper, but DS would startle and his arms would flail and he would wake himself up. Swaddling wasn't a miracle, but it did calm him down in the evenings and helped him to sleep better.

My advice is just to find what works and what you are comfortable with. Don't let other people's opinions on where the baby should sleep affect what you do. I almost was ashamed to tell people that DS slept in our bed because so many people had such negative opinions. Once I was able to get over that though, I really loved bedsharing and it allowed me and DS to both get sleep, which made everyone happier and healthier.

If you do find that your son sleeps better when sleeping with you and you want to try bedsharing, the Attachment Parenting board can direct you to some great resources on how to bedshare safely. 

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • DS slept in a PNP (in the bassinet part) next to our bed for the first 8ish weeks.  His crib was upstairs, though, and I wasn't about to have to tromp up and down the stairs in the middle of the night, so we started putting him in his room (crib) after he was sleeping around 5 hour stretches.  I reazlied I kept waking up to every little wheeze when he was right beside me, so I wasn't getting any sleep even when he started sleeping longer, so up he went.
  • We are bedsharing

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD slept a couple of nights in her car seat, I think it helped her feel secure
  • Pnp bassinet from day 1 - I lay her in her crib when she's awake because she likes the mobile and mirror. She napped in it today too for the first time. She also sleeps in her bouncer chair or on us when we are spending time in the living room. I think she would sleep anywhere.  

• If I wait until he is good and asleep he'll sleep in the bassinet for an hour or two. But the longest naps I've gotten out of him were when being held.
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Right now, ds is sleeping in the pnp in the living room...and I am sleeping on the couch ( still can't get in and out of my bed with ease after my c/s). I wouldn't say this is working because he wakes up for his nighttime feedinds and I pretty much can't get him back to sleep. He pretty much is up from 2-5/6 am 

• My LO has not yet slept in his crib at 4.5 weeks. He sleeps in the pack n play next to our bed at night. During the day he's usually in his bouncy seat in the living room, or I wear him in the mei tai carrier. 
  • Both my boys slept in a basinette next to my bed for about 8 weeks. I assumed this would be the case for DD as well. Nope, she wasn't having it. She sleeps well in a boppy in the bed but that's not safe. I got the Fisher Price Rock and Play and it is great. She is doing well in that next to our bed. I second the advice to swaddle. Makes a huge difference.  I also think PP gave great advice that every baby is different and you have to find what works for your family. It's a lot of trial and error.

• Car seat or swing in our bedroom. She naps in bassinet but won't sleep in it at night.
    Be the change you want to see in the world. Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • DD slept in a bassinet in our room swaddled for 6 months. I was a little paranoid about sids. We may move DC #2 to crib a little sooner this time. 
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO is sleeping in her Rock 'N' Sleeper both for naps and bedtime.  She really likes it and I like it too because it's slanted so if she spits up she just spits up on herself.
  • My little guys sleeps in the bassinet at night in our room. During the day he sleeps in the pack and play. I am not ready to put him in his crib alone yet. Maybe after a month
  • My LO sleeps great in the bouncer, not so great in the cradle.  We have tried different things...and we are pretty sure it is just the laying flat he does not like.  We have a wedge positioner and he will sleep with that.  But sometimes If he wakes up to eat right before DH goes to work he will snuggle with daddy for 30 minutes or so in our bed. 
    image image Siggy Challange: Before and After 2 Days old Image and video hosting by TinyPic Almost 9 Months Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think we might try a wedge in the crib since it seems like he doesn't like to lay flat. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. Hopefully something works.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS, one week old, sleeps in a bassinet in our room. Our room  is downstairs, and his nursery is upstairs, and with how much I am up each night to feed him, there is no way I am putting him in the nursery yet so I can go up and down the stairs five times a night.

One note on the pacifier - I wouldn't give it to a newborn at night. It actually makes them more mad, because they can't keep it in on their own. So your baby is soothing himself with it, but then it falls out, and wakes the baby up, and it's a continuous cycle.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebrewcitybride:

DS, one week old, sleeps in a bassinet in our room. Our room  is downstairs, and his nursery is upstairs, and with how much I am up each night to feed him, there is no way I am putting him in the nursery yet so I can go up and down the stairs five times a night.

One note on the pacifier - I wouldn't give it to a newborn at night. It actually makes them more mad, because they can't keep it in on their own. So your baby is soothing himself with it, but then it falls out, and wakes the baby up, and it's a continuous cycle.

It was suggested to us by nurses at the hospital that a pacifier at night may help reduce the risk of SIDS. I know it's not 100% proven, but that combined with the fact that our LO takes it fine led us to start using a pacifier at night. We have very little issue with fussing when it falls out... 

To answer the OP, we also use the RnP. Charlie loves it. We swaddle him and he sleeps next to me. I have easy access to him, and can easily check to see that he's breathing and assist with the pacifier if it happens to fall out. I also love that I can rock him to sleep in it if he starts to fuss. I strongly suggest looking into one if the wedge doesn't work for you - they are relatively inexpensive. (I think like $45-ish on Amazon...)

As a bonus, it is also awesome to put him in during the day and bring into the bathroom so I can actually get a quick shower. It is very easy to transport. It is probably my favorite baby item ever.

• Our DD sleeps in a bassinett that has a vibrator next to our bed.  We also use a wedge to help if she spits up.  The only problem is that she is an active sleeper so I'm tempted to move her to her crib soon.  During the day she sleeps well (calm passive sleep) just about anywhere, esp her PNP with the vibrator. 

My DS stayed in our room for about 8wks and slept well in his crib at night once we moved him.  He didn't like napping in his crib for many months so he napped mainly in his papasan swing.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"