3rd Trimester

Request Induction?

FTM here.  Just wondering if I can ask the doctor to set an induction date?  This is assuming I go past my due date (which is 1 week before Christmas - Dec. 18th) and ONLY if I go past my due date of course!

Re: Request Induction?

• Do you know what your doctor's policy is on inductions? I'd just ask at your next appt what happens if you go passed your due date, and when they start to talk induction. Some doctors will not let you go more than a few days, while some will let you guy 10+ days. I know my OB doesn't like you to go more than a few days, but of course will only induce if you're making progress on your own first. 

I don't really think you can request an induction, unless something is wrong. But unfortunately, being uncomfortable probably isn't a good enough reason (not that that's why you're asking, but I imagine that's how I'd feel). Totally depends on your doctor though! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Absolutely. It's called an elective induction. If you're "favorable" (dr's base it on a scale which I can't remember the name of -- but goes off of dilation, effacement and station) most doctors will do an induction from 40w on. I had an elective induction at 40w 3d with my first. I was swollen, miserable, and wanted our baby to come before the New Year (he was born on Dec 28th). My dr was working that day at the hospital and I went in at 8am to have my water broken. I was 3cm dilated and 80% effaced and the induction went really well! Better than when I went into labor on my own with my daughter, actually. I asked my dr if she'll do another elective induction this time around and she said because I had a successful induction the past and assuming I'm favorable she'll do it from 39w on.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Brayden (5 1/2) born 12.28.06
    Hailey (4 1/2) born 2.25.08
    Taylor (8 Months) born 12.26.11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My OB will induce at 39 weeks if there is a good reason. She mentioned it to me because my LO has been measuring very large, so she will induce 1 week early so that I can still deliver vaginally. I haven't decided if I want to do this or not, but she did suggest it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks.  I planned to ask at my next appointment - just wanted to see if anyone on the boards happened to know already.  I'm asking because I'm already VERY uncomfortable and getting little to know sleep every night.  I can't imagine how it'll be by then...  I'm sure some might think this is selfish, but again, I'm talking about an induction date PAST my due date - not before. 
  • Well, if sleep in the issue, you might ask if they can do whatever is the opposite of an induction?  However much sleep you're getting now is probably a least a little more than you're going to get with a newborn.
  • imageoverture:
    Well, if sleep in the issue, you might ask if they can do whatever is the opposite of an induction?  However much sleep you're getting now is probably a least a little more than you're going to get with a newborn.
    I had to laugh about this, SO true!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Brayden (5 1/2) born 12.28.06
    Hailey (4 1/2) born 2.25.08
    Taylor (8 Months) born 12.26.11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • prearranging an induction date is recommended in areas where induction rates are high (like in NW DC).

OBs are allowed to induce as early as 39 weeks and as late as 42, but most prefer to not go past 41. 

• I think first ask what their policy or thought is if you go past your due date and then go from there.  We set up an induction date 4 days past my due date, but I was also 3cm dilated at this point.  I ended up going into labor 24 hours before my induction date. 

And the inability to sleep is just mother nature's way of preparing you for life with a newborn. :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photobucket
  • To pp: current medical and nursing research has shown that there is absolutely no advantage in any way to inducing before 40 just because the baby is measuring big.  1. weight estimates can be off by a surprising amount, and 2. it's unlikely that you know the exact day baby was conceived on and in reality conception can vary as much as two weeks from the date the doctor gave you.  So, basically that means that if you're at 39 weeks, the baby could theoretically only be at 37 weeks gestation, which would deprive him/her of 3 extra weeks in utero they would be counting on. 

The only reason I would (personally) consider inducing before 40/41 weeks is for GD, PIH, etc- life threatening/ health threatening conditions that are only going to get worse or more difficult to control as time goes on.  They can estimate how big baby is from sonograms, etc, but they can't tell you with certainty how developed the lungs are.  I wouldn't want to risk it just to save myself a few days of discomfort. 

• I requested an induction date because my boyfriend is currently jump starting our life in a new state, and we needed a better estimate of when my son could arrive. My dr is inducing me at exactly 39 weeks. :)

I have been in preterm labor twice, and I have had a steroid shot for my little man's lungs to develop quicker. My honest opinion is that you do what you feel is best for you. My dr personally wouldn't even let me go past 41 weeks, and would have induced me at that point anyway, but like you, 41 weeks would be on Christmas exactly. To avoid holiday travel and to ensure my boyfriend is going to be there (to the best of our abilities) induction was the right choice for us. :)
  • I asked my doc about this because my MIL is coming into town to help us for a short amount of time and thats all the help we'll have, not to mention DH is military and while its not likely he'll be shipped out the Navy kindof owns him :/....so my doc said she would induce as early as 39 weeks no problem...You might ask about the gel they can put on your cervix to help you start to dialate and efface before your induction, my friend had that done a day before her induction and her water broke on its own while she was getting ready the next morning! You definitely don't want to start out at nothing so that could be a big help if you have to be induced! GL!
  • I plan on asking for one once I go a week over.  I am due Feb 20th and do not want a 29th baby.  My doctor is ok with it cause she did it with my sister although they just didn't want her having a 9.5lb baby again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageoverture:
    Well, if sleep in the issue, you might ask if they can do whatever is the opposite of an induction?  However much sleep you're getting now is probably a least a little more than you're going to get with a newborn.

No kidding.  Also, for me personally, induction was a lot more uncomfortable than being heavily pregnant.

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"