Preemies

coughing for attention?

LO has been coughing for the last 2 days, he doesn't cough while he's asleep or when he's playing.  Its just when he gets bored (when he is laying in his crib or when we sit with him, he always wants us to walk around). He's also drooling more, maybe its related because he clears his throat a lot too...he's on zantac 3 times a day... Is this new habit here to stay or should I be worried this is the start of something (reflux, virus, etc)?  I asked the pedi and he wasn't concerned, said he was trying to get our attention.  Anyone else's LO did this type of thing?
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimage

Re: coughing for attention?

• Yes.

My LO used to so this a lot. He has reflux and used to spit up in his crib sometimes at night. Of course we would run to him right away. He started coughing for attention. These babies are smart! He no longer does this by the way...

• YES! she now does this little fake cough with her impish little smile. she used to fake gag herself too :/
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersPhotobucket Keep up with Scarlette at http://kaylaaimee.com
  • Loading the player...
  • My girls do this also.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My boys still do this a lot, especially Ian. But we've been off the reflux meds for 2 months and they haven't had any issues with since stopping. Hopefully that means all is well and it's just something they do. Usually, they'll cough and I'll say something like "Oh, do you have a cold?" and they'll just smile up at me.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • He's just started doing this.  He coughs when he's over excited or wants us to change things up/he's bored.
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Watch it and make sure it's not coughing due to reflux.  My LO does the coughing thing when she has something in the back of her throat. She hasn't figured out how to do it for attention yet. :)
    3 failed IUIs, 1 successful IVF Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimage
  • YES! I noticed it often and asked our pedi and he actually told me that they were coughing for attention. You can tell the difference between that kind of cough and a real cough. It sounds "fake" (because it is:)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"