3rd Trimester

has anyone used an IKEA crib?

DD has a huge crib from BRU that was of course extravagant (being the first child and all) but now that we've got DD#2 on the way, we're not sure it's size is practical when we have to put another crib in her room.

We were looking at getting two matching IKEA cribs and I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with them??  There are no reviews on the website, so I was hoping someone could tell me.  Specifically, DH likes the SUNDVIK model because it converts to a toddler bed.  I really love DD's crib and hate to get rid of it, but I told DH I would at least look into these and see what I can find out. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: has anyone used an IKEA crib?

• We have this crib and love it. DD is still in the regular crib but we will turn it soon. Our friends have the same one and they love it as well.
  • All IKEA cribs were pulled from the market a few months back because none of them met the new safety standards.  They are just starting to come back now. I think the SUNDVIK is actually the only one you can get at the moment.

In general, I LOVE IKEA however, as someone who has had the mattress supports of my own IKEA bed collapse out from under me on more than one occasion, and seeing the number of past recalls of IKEA cribs, there is absolutely NO WAY I would put my baby to sleep in one.

You get what you pay for.  IKEA furniture is a bargain for a reason.  We bought an IKEA dresser for our son, if that falls apart in a year it won't kill anyone.  If his crib collapses, it might.  We get tons of stuff from IKEA but, not a bed.  Not for anyone, not ever again.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMommaErica:
    All IKEA cribs were pulled from the market a few months back because none of them met the new safety standards.  They are just starting to come back now. I think the SUNDVIK is actually the only one you can get at the moment.

In general, I LOVE IKEA however, as someone who has had the mattress supports of my own IKEA bed collapse out from under me on more than one occasion, and seeing the number of past recalls of IKEA cribs, there is absolutely NO WAY I would put my baby to sleep in one.

You get what you pay for.  IKEA furniture is a bargain for a reason.  We bought an IKEA dresser for our son, if that falls apart in a year it won't kill anyone.  If his crib collapses, it might.  We get tons of stuff from IKEA but, not a bed.  Not for anyone, not ever again.

Yeah, I read about that, they actually have over 6  crib models available now (at least that's what is shown on their website), all compliant with the new safety standards.  That was my main concern, since that's what I had heard recently.  We had a bed from there, it didn't fall apart thankfully, and all of our media cabinets as well as our dresser (which we've had for several years, and I love so hopefully you have a good experience with yours).  We also just bought a similar dresser (just smaller) for DD.  Thank you for your feedback though...I will be discussing all of this with DH and get his take on it all.  :)

• imagesassafras007:
    We have this crib and love it. DD is still in the regular crib but we will turn it soon. Our friends have the same one and they love it as well.

Thanks for the review! :)  After the recalls, I was a little hesitant.  How long have you had it? 

• I have never used an IKEA crib, but I was considering purchasing one and from what I read all of them were very highly rated for safety and were good cribs.

My little goofball born 1/2012
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • From a cost standpoint, I'd highly recommend a Graco crib (there are numerous models under $150). I don't know how the size compares to that of IKEA cribs, but I'd be inclined to say the quality is better with Graco (highly recommended by Baby Bargains).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i have an ikea crib and never had any trouble with it at all. Even checked the recall info and mine was fine. They are great for the price, easy to swap heights/toddler bed position. Mattress size is standard and all that. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageVisit The Nest!
  • We have an IKEA crib for this baby and I really like it so far. It is very sturdy and I like the simple design. I was also concerned about the recalls but when I checked, the crib that we have had a recall for one of the screws on the bottom that needed to be three threads longer just to ensure that it wouldn't come undone. When we inspected it ours were already the longer screws, but there is no way even if it was a 1/2 in shorter that the crib would have collapsed. It just seemed like an extra precaution but in no way a real risky situation. DH is pretty paranoid about safety and he didn't think it was a big deal. I think it's important to do your research and make sure you feel good about it, but after our experience I'm not at all concerned.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • we have this one. got it when our drop side broke. Sad

I like it fine. DS liked it fine. we haven't converted ours because we transitioned DS to a twin and will have this baby sleep in it. so I can't comment on that part. but I like the design, it looks nice, it's pretty basic and space efficient. no complaints.

ETA: comments on the recall. I got mine pre-recall and I'm not really worried about it. I'll just keep checking for signs of wear or issues with it I guess. DS wasn't too rambunctious with it or anything but maybe if this one is it'll cause problems?

but this is also coming from someone who used a drop side crib that was a (gasp!) hand me down!!! Surprise

• imageMommaErica:
    All IKEA cribs were pulled from the market a few months back because none of them met the new safety standards.  They are just starting to come back now. I think the SUNDVIK is actually the only one you can get at the moment.

It was my understanding that the standards primarily affected drop-side cribs, which most IKEA are not. They were pulled as a preventive measure and more safety information was added to the box. We asked IKEA and they said that the design of the crib was not being changed, they just had to add/change some literature b/c of the new regs. The white Sundvik crib is currently in most stores, but of course, we want the black/brown version. We were told that will be available by February.

• We have an IKEA crib for our 18 month old and have been very happy with it and have never had a problem with how sturdy it is (same goes for the two IKEA dressers we have).  We're buying the exact same one next month again for our new baby.  The recalls were due to a newer standard about the screw length and apparently they've made whatever change they needed to make and now they are back on the market.  The safety standards all things baby have to meet are pretty strict and I have no qualms about the safety of IKEA cribs.  Definitely don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a piece of furniture we'll only use for a couple of years :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"