Baby Names

Thoughts on Hermione, and nn ideas?

DH suggested Hermione as a name last night and it is growing on me, but I'm hesitating because I can't see any obvious nn ideas that I relaly like.

Not that everyname needs a nickname, but part of why I like DDs name Elizabeth is that there are lots of options for variations that she can choose from.

So to my questions:

1) What do people think of Hermione?

2) Is it a nice sibset with Elizabeth?

3) nn suggestions. I can see Herman (which horrifies me) and Minnie which I'm a bit blah about. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

Re: Thoughts on Hermione, and nn ideas?

• 1) What do people think of Hermione?  I think about Hermione from Harry Potter as I'm guessing most people will too.  It's okay but I wouldn't use it due to the movies.

2) Is it a nice sibset with Elizabeth?  I think they are okay together, although Elizabeth sounds classic while Hermione sounds exceptionally unique.

3) nn suggestions. I can see Herman (which horrifies me) and Minnie which I'm a bit blah about.   I really can't think of anything good.  Hermy maybe but that sounds weird.

Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • I love Hermione. Yes it's going to be attached to Harry Potter, but she's a fantastic character that is a good role model for girls anyways. 

Nickname ideas are:

Hermie, unattractive yes.

Mione, prn My-Nee.

Mia perhaps?

I think Elizabeth and Hermione are lovely sisters.  

• Loading the player...
  • imageKendalight:

I love Hermione. Yes it's going to be attached to Harry Potter, but she's a fantastic character that is a good role model for girls anyways. 

Nickname ideas are:

Hermie, unattractive yes.

Mione, prn My-Nee.

Mia perhaps?

I think Elizabeth and Hermione are lovely sisters.  

I agree with all of this. I think Hermione is fabulous! If you are gutsy enough, use it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1) What do people think of Hermione? I think about Harry Potter.  It's not a bad name, but I would use it as a middle name.

2) Is it a nice sibset with Elizabeth? It's ok together.  Elizabeth is more of a classic name though, and Hermione is very different.  I would put something like Samantha with it.

3) nn suggestions: Miya

• I think it's a beautiful name.  I would use it with the understanding that you would be dealing with a never ending stream of, "like the girl from Harry Potter?"  But if I loved it, I wouldn't let it stop me.  She's an amazing character and a great role model.  I can think of about 1,000 people who it would be worse to share a name with.

I think the nn Minnie is cute, but if you don't like it, I think the suggestions of  Mione or Mia might work.

• Ditto on all accounts.
  • 1) What do people think of Hermione?
    I think since it's a rather unique name and came to popularity with the introduction of Harry Potter, it will forever be attached to it.
    If I were to meet a young child with that name, I would automatically assume her parents were huge HP fans.

2) Is it a nice sibset with Elizabeth?
    With that being said, I think most names work well with Elizabeth.

3) nn suggestions. I can see Herman (which horrifies me) and Minnie which I'm a bit blah about. Mimi, Hera, Nene (Real Housewives of Atlanta)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • First thoughts are "hemerroid" and "heinie". I would never do this to a kid, sorry!

What about Harriet nn Hattie? Hattie and Elizabeth are nice. 

• imagecookies+milk:

First thoughts are "hemerroid" and "heinie". I would never do this to a kid, sorry!

LOL.  This! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • All I think of is Harry Potter so I would never use it. No nickname ideas.

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• 1. People think of Hermione as an association of Harry potter.  but if you love it, it shouldn't matter.  When I was considering Lorelei with NN Rory everyone kept saying "Gilmore Girls".  But that didn't matter to me.  

Hermione is a beautiful name! 

2. Great sibset with Elizabeth

3.  I like the idea of Mia as a NN.  Also, maybe have a more "common" middle name that way if worse comes to worse the MN can be her NN. 

Good Luck!

Pregnancy Ticker

• 1. Hermione = Harry Potter. I think you knew that going into this post. But hell, Scarlett = Gone with the Wind. Avonlea = Anne of Green Gables. Since when is having a literary name a bad thing?

That aside, I don't think it's a particularly pretty name, myself.

2. Sure, why not?

3. I don't see any nicknames there. But I'm not "into" nicknames, either.

VOTE on my Name List

Pregnancy Ticker

• 1. Harry Potter

2. Not with Elizabeth

3. Hermi? My?

-----------------------------
    Penelope Lynn 5.8.2009
    Harrison Peter 4.10.2012

Check out the blog at balletandbaseball.com
    click for toddler hilarity
  • 1.  Harry Potter, but she's a great character, and one I wouldn't mind my daughter being associated with.

2.  I think they go well together.

3.  What about Hermia, like from A Midsummer Night's Dream?

• I think the Harry Potter association would bother me, just because I'm the kind of person that gets really irritated when I hear the same comment over and over. If that doesn't bother you, then power to you.

I think it sounds fine with Elizabeth. It's a lot more "out there", but the actual sound of the names flows quite nicely.

I don't think there are really any suitable NNs

• 1) Of course it makes me think of Harry Potter but at least now, unlike when the books first came out, most people would probably know how to pronounce her name. For the longest time I thought it was pronounced Her-mee-own. I'm not a fan of it. If I met a little Hermione in my class, I would also think her parents were big HP fans.

2) Elizabeth goes well with so many names. Hermione? Not so much. Maybe I just feel that way because I don't like the name.

3) All I can think of is Hiney. Ugh.

Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • 1) I love the name, I think its great!

2) Lovely sibset.

3) My-nee  is the only one that comes from the name directly, but once you meet her you'll probably think of one that fits her especially.

My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • First of all, Hermione is one of my total guilty pleasure names.....I finally got my husband to agree to have it as a MN if we have multiple girls some day.

That being said, you need to own the fact that she is going to spend a lot of time getting Harry Potter comments.....it's just the way it is going to be.

I still love it though Smile

The only nickname I could see going with it is Mione.....which is also what they use in the book. 

• I LOVE Hermione. It has a fantastic mythological origin and a popular literary reference now. She's a strong, independent character.

I think that while the two names aren't really similar in style, threy sound nice together.

I think Mia, Mione, Minnie are good name based NNs. Our DS is Rex, there is no NN for Rex, but we have nicknames based on his personality. Mostly Poo-bear (it came from how often he pooped, not the yellow bear in a red shirt) but we call him bear a lot too.You may find you come up with a personality based NN even if you can't come up with a name based NN you love.

BabyFetus Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"