Babies: 9 - 12 Months

ugh, first cold

It appears DD has her first cold.  She was up from 11-1 and again at 4 last night, totally miserable and unable to nurse because she was so stuffed up.  Today she was running a low fever so we gave her some tylenol and it seemed to help, but she definitely had periods of being inconsolable.  She went to bed an hour early because she didn't take an afternoon nap.  Luckily she was able to nurse some during the day and I also gave her a bottle at bedtime because she didn't eat much dinner.  Poor kid -- so unhappy and so much snot :( 

DH left again for London this evening so it's all me if she's up in the middle of the night.  It took the two of us to get the tylenol into her so I'm worried about doing that myself.  I also tried the bulb aspirator and the nose frida and she freaked out when I used them.  I took her to sit in the bathroom and ran the shower on hot and that seemed to help clear her out a bit.  Besides that and keeping up the tylenol, does anyone have any baby cold remedies? 

And I think I'm coming down with her cold.  This could be a long night :(

Re: ugh, first cold

• Target Up&Up brand Vapor Bath. It's the exact same ingredients as Johnson's Vapor Bath (but $2 instead of $5). I'm not a huge Johnson's & Johnson's fan, but that stuff is awesome. It's fragranced like baby Vick's chest rub. After a bath in that stuff LO should be able to nurse better.

I also like the Vick's baby chest rub. Make sure that whatever you buy doesn't have menthol- it's not good for them at this age.

Do you have a humidifier? Set one up in her room- it will have the same effect as the shower.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • a humidifier will help with the stuffiness and I've heard good things about vicks baby rub, though I haven't had to use it yet.  DD had a cold last month but she wasn't stuffy.

• Loading the player...
  • imageGreenFlamingo7:

Target Up&Up brand Vapor Bath. It's the exact same ingredients as Johnson's Vapor Bath (but $2 instead of $5). I'm not a huge Johnson's & Johnson's fan, but that stuff is awesome. It's fragranced like baby Vick's chest rub. After a bath in that stuff LO should be able to nurse better.

I also like the Vick's baby chest rub. Make sure that whatever you buy doesn't have menthol- it's not good for them at this age.

Do you have a humidifier? Set one up in her room- it will have the same effect as the shower.

All of this. Humidifiers are life savers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I do have a humidifier but I haven't used it since last winter so I have to soak some part of it for 24 hours before using it :( Wish I'd thought to take it out sooner!
  • I have no other suggestions, but I hope E feels better soon, and you get some sleep. You might also want to try a different brand of Tylenol. Hen loves the CVS brand drops, and super hates the Little Fevers brand...I'm not sure what the difference is, but there is nothing worse than fighting with a baby to get them to take meds.
    imageimage
    BFP # 1- DS ~ TTC #2 since Jan. 2012 - BFP # 2 - "Baby Elsie" - Blighted Ovum - D&C August 22, 2012 at 7w3d, BFP # 3 - CP - December 30, 2012, BFP # 4 - CP - March 19, 2013 ~ First RE Appt. 4/24/13 Med cycle #1: 50mg Clomid and Trigger shot = BFN. Med. Cycle #2: 6 cysts found. No meds/rest cycle. Trying on our own = BFP # 5! Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 129 Beta #3 = 94 - CP - July 2, 2013. BFP # 6! Beta#1 = 21, Beta#2 =58 Beta#3 = 134. U/S shows heartbeat of 142 at 7w2d!
  • I would try the Nose Frieda again. No baby is probably going to be thrilled with you doing it, but it really is the best for getting snot out. Also, consider yourself lucky that you made it this long without any illnesses.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • G had his first cold a few weeks ago and gave it to me too so we spent a lot of time snuggling next to the vaporizer together. Also even though the little elephant humidifier we bought at buy buy baby says "humidifier" it's really a vaporizer and that might be better to use than a humidifier. A humidifier just puts moisture in the room, whereas a vaporizer actually shoots steam out (like the hot shower method). The vaporizer really helped him breathe better at night, although it left everything in the room really damp in the morning. Other than that we did a lot of tylenol and water, and he only wanted to nurse- no solids or bottles- so I let him nurse as much as he wanted. It was over in 4 days for us if that's any consolation! Sorry!

• J&J vapor bath, Saline drops and aspirator (before bed, before feeding, and before naps), humidifier with door shut (keep it running even when baby is not in the room), Vick's baby rub, Pedia Care Gentle Vapors waterless vaporizer (fills room with menthol and eucalyptus - I loved it), Boogie Wipes (a LIFE SAVER).  And screw Tylenol - my pedi recommended ibuprofen and it works so much better.  I used all of these in combination (overkill, I realize) and she was only up for a couple of hours the first two nights.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"