Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Do you hold your DC until they are fully asleep before laying them down?

We have established a .bedtime. right now with DS...around 8pm.  We hold him till he is fully asleep and then lay him down.  During the day i can smoetimes lay him down drowsy and he will doze off on his own (which shocks me as DS #1 didnt do this till he was atleast 4 months old).  But at night and when he wakes up in the middle of the night we have to do this or choose to do this...anyone else?  It also often takes us 20-40 minutes to get him to fall back asleep when he wakes up to eat in the middle of the night...

Severe MFI resulting in IVF/ICSI #1 in Nov 2007. BFP!!
Our beautiful son was born July 2008.
2010: 2 IVF's,1 FET = 2 BFN's, 1 c/p :(
Feb 2011-Unmedicated FET= BFP!! DS #2 born Oct 2011!!.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Do you hold your DC until they are fully asleep before laying them down?

• I let DS fall asleep halfway and then I just lay him down on my chest or right by me until he's fully asleep. 
  • I wish I could lay him down drowsy...this kid will not let you lay him down unless he is darn near in a coma!

DS #1- Ares Christopher

DS #2- Taj Lee

DD #1 Alba Gray

Baby #4- coming in May

• Loading the player...
  • imagea4smith:
    I wish I could lay him down drowsy...this kid will not let you lay him down unless he is darn near in a coma!

DITTO, we feed LO and she falls asleep while burping, we then swaddle her (which makes her wake up a little bit), put her back up to on my chest and pat her to sleep.  If you even try to put her down awake she will make you pay for it!!  Our LO doesn't care for her paci, I know I lot of ppl who put their LO down drowzy use a paci to put them to sleep.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I can only lay home down drowsy in the middle of the night.  Otherwise I have to hold him till he's out.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's the opposite for us. I can lay him down drowsy at night. Once the sun is up, that's over. IF I manage to successfully get him to nap in his crib during the day, then it requires me rocking him to complete sleep. So I usually take a short cut and just put him in the swing. I can put him there completely awake, but relaxed, and he will usually doze off.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I never rock her to sleep. I'll either put her down drowsy or sometimes fully awake and she drifts off. The only time I rock her is if she's really fussy and I'll rock her enough to calm her down but not to put her to sleep. Also when she wakes in the middle of the night I feed her & lay her back down and then roll over to sleep even if she isn't asleep yet. As long as she's not fussy/crying, it's no need for me to stay awake and watch her go to sleep. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagemdotm0904:
    I never rock her to sleep. I'll either put her down drowsy or sometimes fully awake and she drifts off. The only time I rock her is if she's really fussy and I'll rock her enough to calm her down but not to put her to sleep. Also when she wakes in the middle of the night I feed her & lay her back down and then roll over to sleep even if she isn't asleep yet. As long as she's not fussy/crying, it's no need for me to stay awake and watch her go to sleep. 

This exactly. DD is a really good baby! She wasn't always though...this started probably when she was 5 weeks old. The only other thing is she needs her paci to drift off completely when I lie her down drowsy. But once she's out she lets it fall out and she's good to go! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I forgot to add that I put her white noise machine on too. It blocks out other noises, especially during naps, that could wake her back up before she's totally out.
  • We put DD in her crib awake. She watched her ocean wonders aquarium with no fuss and falls asleep.
    image imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Our son just started sleeping in his crib a few days ago...before that, he was in the bouncy seat at night because of a cold. He usually falls asleep while drinking his bottle, so I will hold him over my shoulder and pat his back a few times, then lay him in his crib. But we have to have the FP Rainforest Soother on, or he will wake right back up. Love that thing! In the middle of the night, it's the same thing...feed him, lay him down with the soother on, and he stays asleep.

During the day, this doesn't work. He takes all of his naps in a bouncy seat or swing.

• imagea4smith:
    I wish I could lay him down drowsy...this kid will not let you lay him down unless he is darn near in a coma!
    This?
  • imagea4smith:

this! I can only put her down when fast asleep... and it only happens after nursing

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• I've read that if you don't let them fully fall asleep before laying them down then they tend to learn to put themselves back to sleep when they wake up during the night.  My little one has gotten pretty good about putting himself back to sleep after awakening, he's almost 11 weeks.  But honestly, I think it may just have to do with the baby,  my LO would usually fall asleep on his own from the start.  Do what works for you and your family and it may just be a stage he's going through,  hope everything works out for you, best of luck :)
  • imagejcia1208:

This exactly. DD is a really good baby! She wasn't always though...this started probably when she was 5 weeks old. The only other thing is she needs her paci to drift off completely when I lie her down drowsy. But once she's out she lets it fall out and she's good to go! 

DS can't fall asleep on his own yet he is a really good baby. I'm saying this and quoting you because I don't feel that a baby who can fall asleep on his own necessarily qualifies as a good baby as opposed to one who can't.

OP - DS falls asleep on his own for naps in his swing. The odd time I can put him down very drowsy but awake in his crib and only for nighttime sleep. Even then, I have to stay with him until he settles - I will usually put my hand on his chest and wiggle it gently from side to side until he's relaxed enough for me to leave.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Sometimes. It varies so much- very inconsistent. Sometimes her eyes are open when I put her in her crib and I think: "There is no way this is going to work." Then she settles looking at her little aquarium in the crib and sleeps 6 hours. Other times she IS asleep when I put her down and she wakes up right away and freaks out.

I give up. Now I just put her down when I am tired and hope for the best. Sleep

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTeacherVicky:
    imagejcia1208:

DS can't fall asleep on his own yet he is a really good baby. I'm saying this and quoting you because I don't feel that a baby who can fall asleep on his own necessarily qualifies as a good baby as opposed to one who can't.

OP - DS falls asleep on his own for naps in his swing. The odd time I can put him down very drowsy but awake in his crib and only for nighttime sleep. Even then, I have to stay with him until he settles - I will usually put my hand on his chest and wiggle it gently from side to side until he's relaxed enough for me to leave.

Sorry....didn't mean it like that. :( I apologize you took it the wrong way... 

• imagejmcdionne:

Sometimes. It varies so much- very inconsistent. Sometimes her eyes are open when I put her in her crib and I think: "There is no way this is going to work." Then she settles looking at her little aquarium in the crib and sleeps 6 hours. Other times she IS asleep when I put her down and she wakes up right away and freaks out.

I give up. Now I just put her down when I am tired and hope for the best. Sleep

DD is very unpredictable too! 

I am so glad to hear someone else say this.  I felt awful last night because I was soooo tired at 3 am after rocking DD for 1 hr. after a night feeding and still staring at her wide open eyes.  I finally just plopped her down in her crib and grabbed a few winks while waiting for the crying to begin.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"