November 2011 Moms

Hello and Good-bye - Baby Carter's story

Carter was due tomorrow.  I am feeling the need to share his birth story and no one IRL has asked about it.  I hope it is ok to post it here. 

--------

ETA: 

If you didn't know, and couldn't figure it out - Carter passed while I was in labor with him.  I have included some small pictures below.  If either his birth story or the pictures will be traumatic to you, feel free to stop reading now.

-------- 

The Friday before he was born, I was having lots of signs of impending labor - spotting, cramps, etc.  Saturday morning came with some strong contractions, but they stopped and there were no signs of labor anytime soon all day Sunday and most of Monday.

By Monday afternoon, I knew something was starting to brew, but I couldn't say with any confidence that it was time.  The cramping increased during dinner and by the time I tucked Livie into bed, I was fairly confident that we would be heading to the hospital sometime that night.  In true nesting fashion, I cleaned the bathroom and living room before settling on the couch to watch TV with DH.

DH and I were laughing as Carter moved his little butt around in my stomach.  You could see and feel it moving from side to side.  I wish I had taken a video.  

DH and I headed to bed around 11:00.  I was really uncomfortable at this point, but didn't think that it was quite time, so I was hoping to get some sleep in.  I woke up at 1:00 feeling like I was having a never ending contraction.  I called the on-call midwife and told her that I needed to come in.  My brother came over and DH and I headed to the hospital it was about 2:30ish (i think) when we got there.

As soon as I walked in the door, the nurses announced that I looked awful and rushed me to labor and delivery.  It didn't take long for me to realize that something was wrong.  The nurse tried forever to find a heartbeat, and was acting panicky as my room filled with more and more nurses.  They wouldn't talk to me, but I knew that I hadn't heard that familiar heartbeat come out of the monitor yet. (at one point I heard a nurse call out a heartbeat of 140 and felt momentary relief - I later learned that was my heartbeat)  When I saw the ultra-sound machine rolling in, I knew we were in trouble.

Looking at a perfectly still baby on the screen was heartbreaking.  I felt like I was having an out of body experience.  This stuff happens to other people - not me.  

The placenta had separated from my uterus, cutting off blood and oxygen supply to the baby.  Additionally, it had formed a cup shape and was holding all the blood that the abruption had caused.  I am so thankful that the doctors were able to see this on the ultra sound, as it answered a lot of the questions that we would have otherwise had.

I broke down as soon as I realized what had happened, and begged for an epidural to take away the pain so I could sleep.  The midwife agreed that I could rest for awhile, and said that as long as my vitals stayed strong, I could rest until 5:30.

At 5:20, I was fully dilated (was a 4 at arrival) and the nurses were encouraging me to deliver.  DH and I took a couple of minutes to prepare ourselves, and then it was time to start pushing.  

An epidural was a unique experience this time.  It took away all contraction pain, but I could still easily move my legs and feel everything that was happening with my girl parts.  The only pain difference between Carter's birth and Olivia's (med-free) birth was lack of contraction pain.

Carter was born after only a couple pushes.  I felt everything, but without the contraction pain, I remember it all so clearly.  My memory of his birth isn't clouded like Olivia's was.  The room was dim and quiet as Carter came out and was placed on my chest.  Even though I knew it wasn't going to happen, part of me kept waiting for him to cry.

I will never forget looking around the room and seeing all the nurses standing there with tears in their eyes.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to look down at him, but I am glad I did because it was love at first sight.  He was perfect.  Lots of similar features to Livie, and the same mole on his back that his dad has.  I was expecting to have an hour or so with him, but the nurses told us we could keep him as long as we wanted.

Olivia came to the hospital to meet her brother.  She helped pick out an outfit, and then she bathed him and dressed him with mom and dad.  Liv chose a monkey outfit from Carter's diaper bag and from that moment forward he has been known as "monkey butt" (there is a monkey on the bottom)

DH and I spent the day talking and snuggling Carter, before calling Olivia back for dinner.  We ate dinner as a family of four, and then allowed Olivia to read to Carter, play with him and sing to him.  She tucked him in and kissed him goodnight.  

After Livie left, DH and I said our good-byes and tucked him in again.  We allowed him to be brought to the morgue for the night.  I asked for something to sleep and fell asleep right away.  

In the morning, I had Carter brought back to us and laid next to him for awhile.  DH and I sang him some our family's favorite songs, and talked to him about all sorts of things.  

Eventually, we asked the nurses to help us leave, because we could have never made the decision on our own.  DH carried Carter back down to the morgue and wrapped him up and tucked him into the baby basket they have there.  I couldn't handle the trip, so an amazing nurse sat with me.

Leaving the hospital without him was the hardest thing I have ever done.

The placental abruption caused a lot of bleeding on my part (to the nurses here, my hemoglobin was a 7 when we left the hospital) and the emotional and physical toll has me in pretty rough shape right now. (not to mention the pulmonary embolism a week later)

We picked up Carter's ashes last night, so we are all finally home as a family together - just not in the way we expected.  

Below are some (hopefully) clickable thumbnails of pictures of Carter.  I miss my little guy.  So much. 

Re: Hello and Good-bye - Baby Carter's story

• So sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.
    Be the change you want to see in the world. Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • What a beautiful boy. I'm so very sorry for your loss.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you so much for coming back to share it.  He is a beautiful baby and all children should have their birth stories honored.   

Forgive me, I just can't read it now.  I am saving a link to it it so that I can read it later.

I am touched that we mean enough to you for you to come back and share with us. Your family continues to be in my thoughts and prayers. 

• I'm so terribly sorry for your loss.  Thank you for sharing your story.  He is beautiful.
    Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • He looks absolutely perfect...I am so sorry for your loss.  You and your family will be in my prayers.
    "Read the books, don
  • No one should ever have to go through that pain. I am so sorry for your heartbreak and hope that each day gets a bit brighter for you. Thank you for sharing your story. It was so moving and is a testimony to your strength and will to move forward. I hope you are getting the love and support that you need. May God bless and comfort you and your family...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm so sorry! That's so devistating, I can't even imagine.
  • I am so very, very sorry.  That was beautifully written and I hope that writing it helps to heal.  I can't imagine what your road forward will be, but I hope there is joy in your future

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You are one brave woman, one EXCELLENT mommy.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  I think of you often.
  • Thank you for sharing the story of Carter's birth.  As I sit here crying reading it, I cannot even imagine the pain you and your family are going through.  I will continue to pray for your healing. 
  • Such a beautiful and heartbreaking story... A million hugs to you and your family.
  • Thank you for sharing your birth story.  Carter was just perfect.  It sounds like you got to spend some wonderful (albeit heartbreaking) time together as a family of four, and you must be so thankful for that. 
  • I so admire your strength.  Thank you for sharing your story and the pictures.  Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Oh God BeccaMarie I am so sorry for everything you've gone through.  Thank you so much for posting the pictures of your beautiful little angel.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Thank you for sharing your whole story.  I am so sorry for the loss of Carter.  I'm glad you had some time to spend with him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am so sorry for your loss.
  • becca, carters story touches my heart so intensely. im so sorry you and your family had to experience this. thank you for sharing his story and his beautiful pictures. im sorry to hear no one irl has asked about his story... maybe they feel its too personal to ask. my thoughts and prayers are with you all.
  • I know there are simply no words that can ease your pain or answer the questions as to why. I just want to say I am SO very sorry for your loss. Your son was an angel. I can't even begin to imagine how your family is dealing with this. The mix of emotions... It just breaks my heart. I will pray for strength for you and your family!
  • Thank you for posting this--you've been on my mind, and I'm grateful for the update.  Carter was perfect, and I am so so sorry for your loss.  I can't imagine being in your shoes with all you're going through.  I pray that you find peace and comfort, and please post whenever you need support or just to share your feelings.

ETA:  How is your daughter doing?

Big A 06-07-08 Little A 11-11-11
  • I am so sorry BeccaMarie. My heart goes out to you and your family. I hope even the small amount of special time you spent with Carter will help you begin the healing process. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

• I am in tears!  I am so sorry for your loss!  He is beautiful!
    image image Siggy Challange: Before and After 2 Days old Image and video hosting by TinyPic Almost 9 Months Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My heart absolutely breaks for you.  Baby Carter was an absolute angel and he is looking down on you from heaven.  Your pictures are beautiful, what a precious son you have and he will always be with you.  I will keep your family in my prayers as you go through this unimaginable time of sadness and heartbreak.  You are such a strong, amazing woman and mother, please know that you will find peace one day and hold your son again in heaven.
  • Thank you for sharing. I hope writing it helps you heal. He is perfect and beautiful. A million hugs, thoughts and prayers are heading your way. Thank you for sharing as you have been on my mind.
    imageimage
  • So sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}

• I am so sorry.  My thoughts are with you.
  • Wow, I have no words.  I am so incredibly sorry that you had to go through that and I will be praying for you and your family. 
  • I am so sorry.  I wish there was something any of us could do or say.  Thank you for sharing your story - he is beautiful and perfect.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My heart is breaking for you. I am so very, very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the pain your whole family is going through. My prayers to you.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • Thank you for sharing your story.  It was so touching.  Carter is a beautiful baby - it was nice that you got to spend quite a bit of time with him.  I can't imagine your loss, and I am just tearing up again thinking about it.  Bless you with the strength to get through such a trying time. 

• :*(  Words aren't enough, but I'll say them anyways for lack of anything better: I'm so very, very sorry for your loss.  I hope that posting your story on here was helpful in some small way, someday soon.  A good friend of mine had a similar full-term loss and said that it helped her for those in her life to remember her daughter on the anniversary of her birth, so I hope that someone in your life can be that person for you.  HUGE hugs and much love sent your way.
  • I am so sorry for your loss.  I can not imagine your pain.  Thought and prayers to you and your family.  Thanks for sharing.
  • You are a amazing momma and Carter is SO lucky to have you for his mom. Thank you so much for coming back to tell us your birth story. I am so sorry for your loss. i know you will treasure th3 time you spent with him for the rest of your lives.

God bless you monkey butt. 

• My heart is breaking for you. Please remember you do not have to be strong all the time, it is ok to break down and let it all out. So sorry for your loss.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • **Hugs** I dont' have words to even say just how sorry I am for your loss but I'm glad you shared this with us. I think it helps to write it all out, to share it, and remember Carter. 

Praying for peace of mind, body, and heart during this difficult time.  

• I'm a dec 2011 mom but had to chime in here. I'm so very sorry for your loss. Carter was beautiful and I admire your strength for being able to write all of this out. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Sorry for your loss.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thank you for sharing.  You are a very strong woman and mother.  I am so sorry for your loss. 
  • Your story is truly heartbreaking and I am so sorry for your loss. Carter and Olivia are very lucky to have you as a mother because you are an amazing woman. You and your family are in my T&Ps.
  • I am so so sorry that you and your family have had to experience such a horrible loss.  I feel such grief for you.  Your little boy looks like a sleeping angel and I wish you continued strength as you move forward.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"