January 2012 Moms
Options

Formula Samples

Our OB office has started handing out formula samples to us at every visit now that we're 3rd trimester.  I plan to breastfeed and only suppliment if he's having nutrition problems.  I know they do it to try to be helpful, but I thought it was weird to be getting them this early!  I'd expect it from the hospital, but from the OBGYN?  If they try to offer us anymore, I'm going to politely decline and tell them we have enough free samples.  I'm not planning to use them except as a last resort.

What do you ladies think about getting formula samples from the OBGYN?  How about getting them from the hospital when they've been told that I intend to EBF?

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
Lilypie Maternity tickers
imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

Re: Formula Samples

• Options
    I'd take all I can now since I don't know I will be able to BF, formula isn't cheap.  You can always donate it if you don't use it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Usually the office is given so many of these it is helpful to take them so they won't get thrown away. we give all the free samples to our local food bank.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mmm I havent been offered any yet but if they do I defintely wont turn them down. I plan to breastfeed as well so sample could be used as a last resort. By samples do you mean a small can or bag?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

They've been giving me ready to use bottles.  All we'd have to do is unscrew the top of the bottle and put on the provided nipple.  They try to make it as easy to possible to grab and use so we'd be more likely to buy that brand again.  They do it for a marketing ploy.

I like the idea of donating unused samples though.  The oldest ones don't expire until June, and we'd probably know by March or April if we're really going to use them or not.

• Options
    Whenever I was given samples from the OB it was always the powder ones which I didn't use, I only used the ready to feed formula. So I gave them to a battered women's shelter in my area. The hospital gave me the ready to feed samples to take home, I was fine with it but I was FF, not BF so it was great :) 
    image image

• Options
    I would take them still. i take all the samples that i can. i have a friend who  uses formula, so i give any that i get to her. formula is not cheap. but i do find it weird that your ob gives them to you. i only got them from the companies and hospital.and remember just because they are there does not mean you will use them. if you really want to breastfeed you will.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I would find it slightly offensive.  It's like they are saying I won't be able to or I probably won't even try. Rude.

They should at least ask if you are interested in them...

• Options
    imageaubreyan:

I would find it slightly offensive.  It's like they are saying I won't be able to or I probably won't even try. Rude.

They should at least ask if you are interested in them...

What's funny about that is they give the disclaimer while they hand the samples to us that the practice isn't necessarily advocating formula feeding over other types nor that they are promoting a certain brand.  She said companies give them the samples to give out, so they do to get rid of them.

If nothing else, I may start declining just so it isn't being wasted on us.  Knowing us, we wouldn't get around to donating it before it expired.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"