Babies: 0 - 3 Months

does breastfeeding .....?

whenever i nurse my lo it hurts like CRAZY! she will be 3 weeks tomorrow and i just cant handle the pain anymore. So the past 2 days i just have been pumping and giving her the bm in a bottle, but im not sure if my supply has came in yet?

i can feel when my boobs are full, they get super hard to point were it hurts and then they leak. but when i pump i can only get a total of 2oz from each boob. Do you ladies think my supply hasnt fully came in yet? Please i need advice/opinions !

TIA :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: does breastfeeding .....?

• I'm not sure about your supply but nursing is the best thing to get your supply to what it needs to be for baby. Even if you are only getting 2oz from each breast, are they still engorged when you are done pumping? Also, I pump for about 10 min after the last drop of milk and I usually get another let down.

The pain in breastfeeding I have read is normal. BUT it could also be a sign of something else. It depends on the pain. Other ladies prob have better advice/experience on that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • 2oz is probably plenty for a baby that age...and also a baby is way more effective at draining the breast compared to a pump. Pumping is not a good judge of milk supply. I encourage you to keep going...it does get better! What do you mean by hurt...is it your nipple? Do you have a good latch?

DS #1- Ares Christopher

DS #2- Taj Lee

DD #1 Alba Gray

Baby #4- coming in May

• Loading the player...
  • all the pain is in the nipples. it hurts when she starts sucking, like i have to grab on to something thats how much the pain is. At night i do nurse but during the day i pump every 3 to 4 hours. Breastfeeding is really important to me and i want to do it as long as i can. But im worried im not getting enough. I've never heard of fenugreek, what is it ?
  • imagejaimelee8:
    all the pain is in the nipples. it hurts when she starts sucking, like i have to grab on to something thats how much the pain is. At night i do nurse but during the day i pump every 3 to 4 hours. Breastfeeding is really important to me and i want to do it as long as i can. But im worried im not getting enough. I've never heard of fenugreek, what is it ?

Your LO could be latching on incorrectly, that could explain the pain.  Are you applying nipple cream after each feeding?  Why do pump during the day and not nurse too?  Like pp said, your LO is the best pump there is.  You can nurse LO and then pump right after to increase your supply.  Also make sure to drink lots of water and eat.  Fenugreek, I believe, is a natural ingredient that helps stimulate milk production.  You can find that in mother's milk tea.  Also try eating oatmeal (not the instant kind) and I've heard dark beer can help.  Have you checked out kellymom.com?  That has been a great resource for me in the past.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If your breasts are engorged, then you are making plenty of milk. Two ounces from each breast is more than enough for a three week-old. DS was still taking 4 ounces per feeding when I pumped up until very recently. Babies are also more effective pumpers than actual pumps. 

Are you using Lanolin on your nipples? I would not have made it through the first month without that stuff. I was applying it after every single feeding and cursing myself if I forgot.

• yes i put lanolin on all the time. Maybe she is latching on wrong, but would it be at almost every feeding? I guess the only reason why i started pumping during the day was to give the nipples a break! lol Does it get less painful? But it does hurt when i pump but not as painful when im nursing her. :(
  • I could have written this exact post myself when my LO was the same age as yours. In my opinion, the 3rd week is the absolute worst. DS is a biter so I did the same thing as you--pumped throughout the day and was only nursing in the morning and at night. I just about lost my mind and threw in the towel on BFing. I know it is SO hard to believe when people tell you "it will get easier, just hang in there" but it really does. It's really important that you keep nursing through the 3 week growth spurt because it is really important to your future in BFing. Your supply still may not have fully come in and you really need LO nursing to help regulate it. Although pumping seems like an easier alternative, it really becomes quite a hassle. I can nurse DS for 10 minutes and he is full & satisfied and ready for a nap--or I could hook myself up to a pump for 15 minutes, hope that I pump enough for him to eat, if not then I have to supplement with formula and end up frustrated with myself and mad at my body for not doing what it's supposed to, then have to wash out the bottles and pumps. All in all, much easier to nurse. The pain is unbearable sometimes, at least at that point it was to me as well, but it DOES get better. Have you looked into using a shield? I've heard it can help with the pain of latching. Good luck, don't get frustrated & don't ever be afraid to ask for help! =)
  • Your supply is in by now. Your breasts are hard because they're full of milk. Pumping 2 oz is a normal amount to pump and pumps do NOT work as well as a baby's mouth, so you'll get less out than your baby will.

To get your breasts to empty, massage your breasts while your baby nurses. The engorgement should go down. This has worked for me.

If your nipples are hurting any longer than a few seconds after latch, then your baby isn't latched on correctly. You need to gently pull on the corner of baby's mouth to delatch and then try to relatch with a better latch. To get a better latch, tease baby's mouth until he opens wide and pull down gently on his chin, then push your nipple into his mouth, getting as much as you can in. This should decrease pain. If all else fails, visit the Lactation Consultant at the hospital you gave birth in. If one isn't available, check out as many online videos as you can. Many are on YouTube.

Good luck to you!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • imagejaimelee8:
    all the pain is in the nipples. it hurts when she starts sucking, like i have to grab on to something thats how much the pain is. At night i do nurse but during the day i pump every 3 to 4 hours. Breastfeeding is really important to me and i want to do it as long as i can. But im worried im not getting enough. I've never heard of fenugreek, what is it ?

How much you pump is NOT a good judge of how much milk your baby is getting as pumps are not as effective as a baby's mouth for nursing.

If your baby is gaining weight and wetting/pooping diapers, then your baby is just fine. 

Note: babies who are breastfed may go several days between poops. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • I had horrible pain, I was often in tears feeding DD and was scared to feed her. After about 2 weeks both nipples cracked and bled. I started pumping since that didn't hurt but my milk dried up quickly so now DD is on formula :(
    image imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Don't worry, it gets better!  I'm sure everyone tells you that.  I had pain from nursing for probably over a month.  I think it had something to do with my baby not latching quite right.  She was just 5 lbs 13 oz when she was born, so she had a tiny mouth.  I think she was doing the best she could!  I would be brought to tears sometimes when she latched, but I kept going because I knew it was good for her.  She was gaining weight so well.  Anyway, I can nurse and read a book at the same time now.  I usually pump once a day (although it'll be at least twice when I go back to work).  Pumping can be a nice break if you are having pain, but you should keep trying.  Use something cool after nursing.  I used one of those "boo boo buddies" as silly as it seems.  They sell cool gel pads for sore nipples, but they are very expensive and have to be thrown away after a few uses.  Also, tylenol or ibprofen can help and it won't hurt the baby.  I wouldn't worry about your supply.  Unless your baby isn't gaining enough weight, then everything is fine.  You can also pay attention to how many wet/poopy diapers there are in a day.   Best of luck to you!  Just stick with it, if you can. :)
  • Pumping is not a good way to see how much BM you have. Babies sucks way more efficiently than pumps.  I think 2 oz per breast is great.  My LO is little over a month and I usually only get 1oz per breast when I pump for 15 mins.  I did have issues with Bfing earlier so my supply is low, but I mostly bf and only have to supplement with formula once or twice in 24hrs.  I had major issues earlier with bfing. I recommend that you talk to a LC because there could be lots of reasons why you are in pain. Meeting someone in person makes a huge difference.

After meeting a LC, I found out that my LO's tongue was tied and needed to get that fixed so he could suck efficiently.  Things got better after 2wks but than I had pain again and it turned out that I had a clog in my nipple.  This showed me that pain can be due to many reasons and not just cause of bad latch.  GL, I do have to say that things do get better.  Keep it up.

BFP 1: 08Aug10, EDD: 14Apr11, D&E 11Sep10 BFP 2: 29Jan11, EDD: 12Oct11, DS born 07Oct11!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Contact a lactation consultant with IBCLC  after their name ASAP. Your LO may be latching incorrectly and you want to get this correct as soon as you can.
  • All I have ever been able to express is about 1 1/2 - 2 oz of milk when I pump.  Even when my LO was 6 months old.  The LC said that is perfectly normal but that baby extracts what he needs.  DS#1 was always happy and healthy and of course growing so I never really worried about it.  Your milk supply fully comes in about 10 days postpartum so you definitely are producing but sadly if you don't nurse him frequently you'll produce less milk.  Your breasts will eventually soften as your milk supply regulates itself.  If you are engorged to often you might want to not pump for a while so that your supply can regulate itself.  You can also try drinking "nursing tea" if you're worried about your supply.  If it hurts to feed your LO you might want to contact a LC to assess your latch and if it still hurts then use Lanolin on your nipples after each feed.  When DD was born, I couldn't take the pain either so at 4 weeks started single side feedings which seemed to help because one side got a break for about 5 hours or so each time.  If the pain persists you might want to contact your physician, you could have another more serious problem.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Pumping will never get out as much milk as your baby will. Can you describe more the pain you are feeling when BFing? Maybe you should speak with a lactation consultant. It could be anything from a bad latch to thrush.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just accidentally got on this board but I had the same pain that you describe. Nothing was wrong. The latch was fine. It just hurt like a b!tch and got better at about 6 weeks. I have fair skin and it's more sensitive. I feel like people always want to say that the latch must be wrong. Also it's possible that it's like chaffing skin all day long and it just really hurts till your skin gets used to it. (although something could be wrong to so get it checked out in case). Also it hurt way less with my second baby. 
  • I just came across your post and I was in your same boat with my son a week ago. (My little one just hit 4 weeks yesterday) I never had a problem when I breastfed my first son, but this one has been a challenge!

The latch is key, I've seen that in a couple of the responses. Try holding your breast the whole time she feeds, close to your nipple, to make sure she's keeping enough of it in her mouth. My breasts are rather large, and I found that although he was latching on just fine in the beginning, towards the end of the feeding he would have just the nipple itself in his mouth, none of the areola, and I was beyond sore, which led to pain at the beginning of the next feeding. Then because it's feeding frenzy time between 3-4 weeks, that means I was dealing with even more pain.

I've been making sure a good amount of my breast stays in his mouth for a little over a week now, my nipples are feeling A LOT better, and I've also found that his feedings are more spread out, so I'm thinking the deeper latch not only helped my nipples, but with releasing more milk when he feeds.

Stick with the breastfeeding as long as you can, trust your instincts, and good luck!!

• my lo wont nurse at all for some reason she doesn't want to latch. so i've been giving her a bottle with my milk. at first i was having the same problem as you. I started pumping every 2 hours to get more to come in then i drank alot more. my dr said how much you drink will deff. affect how much milk you produce. and once i upped my drinking and pumped more frequently i've been getting around 10 oz. each time i pump.

so if i were you, i'd pump more frequently and drink alot more. good luck!

• Don't Give Up!!!!

At 3 weeks I was crying every time he latched and was convinced I was giving up.  Someone told me to just wait it out one more week - I did and like magic, the pain became less and less until now it doesn't hurt at all!

I read that your supply comes in at 6-8 weeks, but you're making what your baby needs.

Have you tried different positions for nursing?  Check the Le Leche League website

GL

• I has this exact same problem. My LO is six weeks old now and I'm just now attempting breast feeding again after seeing a lactation consultant today. My LO didn't, and still doesn't have a good latch due to a small mouth, so now I'm using a nipple shield. I had previously been pumping and supplementing with formula. I would suggest seeing a lactation consultant one on one so she can help properly diagnose what's going on. Hang in there and good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • THANK YOU LADIES FOR ALL THE EXCELLENT ADVICE !!!!!

i would be so dang upset if it wasnt for all of you ! I've been trying to get her to open her mouth wider and try for a better latch and that seems to be less painful. You ladies give great advice. I think the reason why i became so upset is becasue i did see a LC ! lol But i cant thank you all enough !

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"