1st Trimester

California rolls....

Safe????
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: California rolls....

• i had cooked sushi (eel roll and crab roll) on friday. i live! i live!

• Just remember most people that prepare california rolls, have been handling raw fish too. Some wash hands, some don't
    ttc since 10-09 first visit with RE 09-10 ME-everything ok DH- AZOOSPERMIA...biopsy confirmed Sertoli Only Cell syndrome Donor IUI#4 was the charm (8-27-11) with 125iuFollistim/Ovidrel/Endometrin/PIO/vit D beta #1 9/8/11....BFP!!! : ) @ 47.7 beta...#2 9/15/11... 1,998 beta#3 9/22/2011- 27,900 Baby's hb seen @6w2d ! 1-3-2012 20 wk u/s everything lookin' good! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I hope so because I totally inhaled one a couple weeks ago...they're fully cooked/imitation crab so I'm not sure what the problem would be! I did a quick google search on it prior to eating, and everything I read pointed at cooked and vegetarian sushi's being a-ok.
  • Thanks!!!!!  I thought it would be safe and if I can't have the real thing for a while at least I can pretend!!!!
  • With crab or shrimp?  I avoid them as shell fish isn't recommended when pregnant. 

• Why not just get the vegetarian rolls? You KNOW they're safe.
    Eleanor Gwendolyn
  • I found this website from the American Pregnancy Association very helpful:

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/sushimercury.htm

The problem with sushi is the mercury levels in the fish.  However, there are lots of options for rolls that have very low levels of mercury and are therefore acceptable to eat.  Actually, sushi can be healthy for your baby as fish contains good nutrients.  I found the article very helpful, and it has a great list of what's safe and what's not in terms of fish types.

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageMamaLo1216:

With crab or shrimp?  I avoid them as shell fish isn't recommended when pregnant. 

Really?  That is the opposite of what my OB said. 

• For some reason my doc doesn't seem concerned about shellfish, but told me that I should only eat cooked fish about once a week because of the mercury levels (which is really only a concern for big fish like tuna and swordfish). I guess that they used to link mercury to autism, but found out that the research was falsified. That being said, mercury is still a heavy metal and therefore not a great thing to consume! She also told me that eating fish is important since the omega-3 fatty acids are really healthy for baby...
  • imagehopefulmom81:
    imageMamaLo1216:

With crab or shrimp?  I avoid them as shell fish isn't recommended when pregnant. 

I'm in agreement. Some shellfish are actually very healthy for you to eat during pregnancy!  On that "American Pregnancy" website that someone posted the sushi link for, they also have one about fish and shellfish. Say's your OK to have

• imagelpichach:
    imagehopefulmom81:
    imageMamaLo1216:

I'm in agreement. Some shellfish are actually very healthy for you to eat during pregnancy!  On that "American Pregnancy" website that someone posted the sushi link for, they also have one about fish and shellfish. Say's your OK to have

Most shellfish is perfectly healthy in moderation.  I think the limit was once or twice a week. 

To the OP - enjoy your California Rolls.  God knows what people have touched in all restaurants/food processors who are preparing your food.  I mean, who would have thought that canteloupe would be this summer's major killer. 

• imagegervaisj6:
    Just remember most people that prepare california rolls, have been handling raw fish too. Some wash hands, some don't

this. also, they use the same knives as the raw fish ones. it's totally up to the individual though. do whatever makes you feel best. for me, i absolutely LOVE sushi, but i'm cutting it out of my diet for 9 months. 

• It's an individual choice, but I have chosen to eat the "non raw" stuff.  Just had a California roll on Sat night!  So many of our foods can come in contact with contaminants, I think it pays to be cautious but realistic.  When my m/s allows, I think options like sushi, salad bars, etc... are a way better bet for me and the baby over fast food.  Choose places carefully, of course.  
  • I asked and my OB said safe. 
    ***S/PAIFW***TTC since forever ago....

DH-34-MFI-motility+morphology.... Me-32-Hypothyrpid+LPD

7/8/11: Clomid100mg+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN

8/2/11: Clomid50mg+Ovidrel+IUI#2=BFFN

8/25/11: Follistim50iu+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFP!!!!@14dpo

Beta#1 9/8 - 251 Beta#2 9/15 - 1622 Beta#3 9/22 - 12674

1st U/S; heard one beautiful HB of 129 - 9/29/11

OB visit; HB of 166 - 10/13/11

2nd US; HB of 163 - 10/18/11

A/S - 12/9/11 - It's a perfect healthy BOY!!!!

Our miracle baby boy - born 5/24/12

• all the cooked or veggie rolls are fine, and wasabi kills bacteria also
    Number 3 Here we come! BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"