Blended Families

s/o Christmas gifts

I'm at a loss for what to get SD this year. She turns 8 two months after Christmas. During the school year she is with us EOW. BM doesn't let SK's use stuff from our house so whatever we get her needs to stay here. I get each child stocking stuffers and 3 gifts. Usually one of those gifts is more expensive then the others, around $45 - $50. I've asked SD what she wants but everything that she has mentioned is a girl toy that she already has several of ( ponies, barbies, zhu zhu pets). I never see her play with what she already has because she like to play with hers brothers and they wont play with those things.

For her birthday she has decided that she wants a shopping spree. DH and I will get her one of those visa gift cards and take her shopping for a day. I'm thinking about getting her an american girl magazine subscription as one of her christmas gifts but I want her to have things to open too. If you have a DD/SD around this age what do they like?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: s/o Christmas gifts

• imagesabrina69barnes:

BM doesn't let SK's use stuff from our house so whatever we get her needs to stay here.

Is she allowed to bring things from her BM's house to your house?  If not, is there anything there that she really and truely loves?  You can have dulicates.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • So she likes American Girl doll stuff? Why not get some outfits for her doll?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • reading this reminds me of my SD and her BM. She is not aloud to bring things from her house to ours or anything from here to her house. Its so annoying how my husband and his ex are. My SD is put in the middle and feels she has to live to different life's. She is 10. My daughter is 13 her father and i have been split since she was 7y. We get along well. He even has stayed at our house over Christmas just to be with our daughter. My SD sees this, sees how much and how well we communicate and tells me she wishes her m&d would even talk without being so hateful to each other. Its actually just the BM my hubby is willing to work with her and get along. She is not. and they have been divorced for 8 years now. Anyways the gifts i choose to get my SD are gifts we can do together. she seems to love it more than anything. We get those kid science experiments, or make your own purse or necklaces kits, any kind of craft. built your own birdhouse....... all these gifts give us time to do things together she seems to cherish that more. and she can always take the experience home unlike the toys.
  • imageCurlyQ284:
    So she likes American Girl doll stuff? Why not get some outfits for her doll?

She doesn't have the doll. She had the opptertunity a few years ago and said she didn't want it. She found some of my old AG magazines at my mom's house are really liked those so that's why I'm thinking about the magazine.

• imageIlumine:
    imagesabrina69barnes:

BM doesn't let SK's use stuff from our house so whatever we get her needs to stay here.

Is she allowed to bring things from her BM's house to your house?  If not, is there anything there that she really and truely loves?  You can have dulicates.

She isn't but according to her she doesn't really have toys at BM's house because they are all baby toys. She says at mom's she watches TV/ movies and colors and draws. Every Christmas the kids get a few joint gifts a new craft/ art supplies are usually one of those. That is the only thing I can think of that she loves. If I go with the magazine I'll get get an AG craft book as something to open for that gift.

• What if you get her a doll? I know you said you generally get one of their gifts in the $50 range, but would it be possible to get her a doll & then 2 extra small gifts? 
  • Since the dolls are so expensive, can you look on Amazon, eBay, Craigslist, etc.  Or get her the doll and then a few of the fake outfits that they sell? Or another idea that she may like (and I dont know if you are into sewing or anything) you and her could make a few outfits together!
  • You can get an AG Magazine for her to open, just make sure it is the month/quarter before she would start receiving it so it is not a dup...the AG craft sounds good too since you said she is into arts and crafts.  It also sounds like she does not know what she wants which is why she is asking for what she already has, because it is all she knows.  Have you had her look at the Target, Walmart and Toys R Us ads?  Not sure if you are ok with doing that since her answers might be too expensive.  What are the boy toys she really wants to play with that they will not let her use?  Maybe buy her something they have that she likes, then she can join in too.  I am very anti-girl/boy toys, if she wants it then she can get it.  What about a camera?  I saw a Kodak one called something like My Own Kodak in an ad today for $50, I cannot find it now so I am not sure which store but probably Target or Walmart.  Then you can get her the magazine subscription with an AG scrapbook, she can scrapbook her pictures...of course she will need a memory card but if you look around they are really cheap like this (if you have Amazon Prime which used to be free if you ordered anything from Amazon Mom).
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • If she is really girlly, maybe a "make your own lip gloss" kit?  Or a pedicure kit (they have them in toy stores, so it is kid-appropriate"

My dd at 8 loved Barbies, Mad Libs, games like Apples to Apples.

image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.
  • My youngest SD and SS are only a year apart and are very close. She also played with him a lot so we tried to get them some things they could do together. The two that come to mind are:

1. Remote control cars. SD's was a girly color but they race those in the dining room for months.

2. A basketball hoop. SD got a pink basketball SS got a black one. They played with it till the backboard broke and they couldn't anymore. The hoop was counted as a house gift though.

• Thanks ladies for the suggesstions. So many of these ideas I never would have thought of.
  • It's not really something to open either but I love to get our daughter gift certificates for fashionplaytes. It's the most wonderful website where they can design and order their own clothes. It's really neat, not very expensive and pretty good quality stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"