Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Horrible horrible mother.

I am a horrible mother. 1) I still use Johnson and Johnson products. 2) My 3 month old has seen TV. 3) Occasionally, I bedshare. 4) I use disposable diapers. 5) Sometimes my baby cries for more than 5 minutes. 6) I never sent out birth announcements. 7) I am not sure what my crib mattress is made out of. 8) I have never ordered off of Etsy. 9) I brought my baby out in public from day one. 10) I bathe him every single day WITH soap every time. 11) I do not have an Angel care monitor or video monitor (and to be completely honest, I think that they are a waste of money unless your child has a health condition). I could go on and on. I LOVE the Bump, but sometimes the whole Perfect Parent Syndrome that some people seem to have drives me crazy. I feel that I am doing the best for my child, and this site can really make people feel like they are horrible parents. I will still come back and use this site for the great advice and cyber-friends, but some days the "perfect" people just drive me up a wall. Sorry for the lack of formatting with my iPad. I just needed to vent.

Re: Horrible horrible mother.

• imagesuzyqjmu:
    I am a horrible mother. 1) I still use Johnson and Johnson products. 2) My 3 month old has seen TV. 3) Occasionally, I bedshare. 4) I use disposable diapers. 5) Sometimes my baby cries for more than 5 minutes. 6) I never sent out birth announcements. 7) I am not sure what my crib mattress is made out of. 8) I have never ordered off of Etsy. 9) I brought my baby out in public from day one. 10) I bathe him every single day WITH soap every time. 11) I do not have an Angel care monitor or video monitor (and to be completely honest, I think that they are a waste of money unless your child has a health condition). I could go on and on. I LOVE the Bump, but sometimes the whole Perfect Parent Syndrome that some people seem to have drives me crazy. I feel that I am doing the best for my child, and this site can really make people feel like they are horrible parents. I will still come back and use this site for the great advice and cyber-friends, but some days the "perfect" people just drive me up a wall. Sorry for the lack of formatting with my iPad. I just needed to vent.
      THIS
    If the house ain't burned down and the baby's fed it was a successful day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree 100%. btw, I am also a horrible mother based on some things I see on here.  I think you just have to just pick and chose what you take to heart on here, which sometimes can be tough. To each there own and who is anyone to judge how each of use raise our babies. When you ask for sugestions, thats different and deffinatly can be helpful, but the personal judgment drives me nuts.
  • Yes
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I could have written this exact post. And I use FORMULA...some one lock me up!!
  • imagesuzyqjmu:

Ha... I do most of those things to.  But no Etsy... wowser!  Love that site.

• I'm missing something.... What's wrong with Johnson and Johnson products? I must be a horrible mother too...
  • Ha! Thank you!!! I also feel like video monitors are a waste. My list is about the same as yours, plus formula!

• haha!! love this
    image 36weeks in image 36ish weeks out Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The most obnoxious thing about baby advice is that it contradicts.  Some people would say you're a horrible mother if you DON'T let your baby cry, or that you are if you DON'T bedshare for example.  

No matter what you do, somebody thinks you're a horrible mother.  So you just have to do what you think is right, try not to trust advice unless the source is actually credible, and smile and say "thanks for the advice" even if you don't intend to take it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • This was a refreshing post :c) And I also agree video monitors are pointless. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imagesuzyqjmu:

The thing is.  Not everyone does all these things.  You are taking multiple peoples things and putting it into one post  

I don't really think there are very many people on here that do ALL of these things.  

Also, how is ordering from etsy part of "perfect parent syndrome"?  LOL!  I've ordered from there for my house.  Does that mean I have "perfect house syndrome"?

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• imagekatie4253:

imagesuzyqjmu:

The thing is.  Not everyone does all these things.  You are taking multiple peoples things and putting it into one post  

I don't really think there are very many people on here that do ALL of these things.  

Also, how is ordering from etsy part of "perfect parent syndrome"?  LOL!  I've ordered from there for my house.  Does that mean I have "perfect house syndrome"?

I am not writing this towards any one person, and I was really just writing it as a fun vent. Sometimes The Bump just makes you feel like you are in the minority by doing things like having TV in the background or still using J&J products, when I am sure at there are many many people doing those things. I am not trying to start controversy. Just having fun. As for the Etsy thing, I see your point. It doesn't add to perfect parent. I guess I just felt like the minority not using it. I felt like a 'bad parent' for not buying a cute baby hat off it. Lol.
  • Count me in as part of this club as well! 
  • imagesuzyqjmu:
    imagekatie4253:

imagesuzyqjmu:

I am not writing this towards any one person, and I was really just writing it as a fun vent. Sometimes The Bump just makes you feel like you are in the minority by doing things like having TV in the background or still using J&J products, when I am sure at there are many many people doing those things. I am not trying to start controversy. Just having fun. As for the Etsy thing, I see your point. It doesn't add to perfect parent. I guess I just felt like the minority not using it. I felt like a 'bad parent' for not buying a cute baby hat off it. Lol.

I just responded to the 988343 post about J&J.  There have been so many the past few days.  It is annoying.  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• I agree that every parent has this, including OP at some point I am sure.

I know for a fact that I have had to learn to get over myself. I try to do what is best for my daughter, and that makes me feel like a good momma, but that doesn't mean parents who disagree with me are bad parents. I'm sure that I still do it from time to time, but I remind myself that it's my job to take care of my daughter and no one else.

• imageSnapdragon750:

The most obnoxious thing about baby advice is that it contradicts.  Some people would say you're a horrible mother if you DON'T let your baby cry, or that you are if you DON'T bedshare for example.  

No matter what you do, somebody thinks you're a horrible mother.  So you just have to do what you think is right, try not to trust advice unless the source is actually credible, and smile and say "thanks for the advice" even if you don't intend to take it.

This for sure.

I 100% agree with you OP.  Good post.

Although I do have an angel care moniter, I got it because we heat with wood and I wanted to make sure his room stayed warm enough for him, so I got it for that reason. However, when DH and I are watching a movie and the warning beeb goes off fo DS I have an unnessasry panic attack. That thing is almost more stressful than it's worth to me!

• imageWundervoll:

I agree that every parent has this, including OP at some point I am sure.

I know for a fact that I have had to learn to get over myself. I try to do what is best for my daughter, and that makes me feel like a good momma, but that doesn't mean parents who disagree with me are bad parents. I'm sure that I still do it from time to time, but I remind myself that it's my job to take care of my daughter and no one else.

Very true.i definitely do not think that I am exempt from this Perfect Parent Syndrome. Of course I think I am doing everything right for my baby ... but I TRY to remember what's right for my kid isn't right for everybody. I am sure that I have made judgmental comments. I try not to push my opinions, but I will ot claim that I haven't judged people.
  • imagenfrtny:
    I'm missing something.... What's wrong with Johnson and Johnson products? I must be a horrible mother too...
    There have been a bunch of posts this week about cancer causing chemicals in their products.
  • imagekatie4253:

imagesuzyqjmu:

This is supposed to be tongue in cheek.

• Love this! So true!!
  • imageSnapdragon750:

The most obnoxious thing about baby advice is that it contradicts.  Some people would say you're a horrible mother if you DON'T let your baby cry, or that you are if you DON'T bedshare for example.  

This.  When I was pg and reading books about baby care, for every book I read that tells you X is the best thing for baby, the next book will tell you exactly why X is horrible.  I quickly learned that the only "right" way is whatever works for me and my LO, and not to get hung up on all the different opinions out there.

• Amazing. Big Smile And I just want to say little Mason is ADORABLE! I've seen quite a few of your posts and his pictures always stand out!
  • Great post! I love TB too, but sometimes when I am feeling that way I have to remind myself:

1) I was born in the 80's. 2) My parents smoked in the house. 3) I was formula fed. 4) I was propped up in front of the TV regularly because "I loved Fraggle Rock". 5) I slept on my tummy. 6) I had a crib bumper. 7) Etsy didn't exist. 8) Angle Care monitors and video monitors didn't exist. 9) My mother didn't even use any kind of a monitor. 9) I was bathed every day using... SOAP. 10) I was left with a teenage babysitter at 3 weeks old so my parents could attend a Beach Boys concert...  ;)

Yet despite all of this: 1) I was loved 2) I was healthy (ok, I do have asthma and do not condone smoking!) 3) I can now: read, write and heck, graduated with a math degree.

The most important thing I remind myself is that my mother didn't have the internet to compare herself to others! So while it is a fantastic tool, at the end of the day, we do our best and we love our kids! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• YesYes
  • imagesuzyqjmu:

I do almost all of this as well. I also started solids at 4 months (with pedi's blessing) and let DD nap in her swing. *gasp* Super Angry

• imageJillaBreeze:
    Slacker moms unite!Smile

:) this made me smile 

• Yes

Hey Suzy did you go to James Madison University? Is that the "jmu" part of your screenname?

__________________________________________________________________________________________Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagehallamb:
    Amazing. Big Smile And I just want to say little Mason is ADORABLE! I've seen quite a few of your posts and his pictures always stand out!
    Thanks. I can't stop taking pics.
  • imageSaltina11:

Yes

Hey Suzy did you go to James Madison University? Is that the "jmu" part of your screenname?

Yes. Loved JMU. I live back in MA now. Did you go there?
  • I guess we are both horrible mothers.  Ive done all of the above also.

• Love your post! I could have written this almost word for word. However, I do have both an Angel Care and a video monitor, otherwise I'd be checking on her all the time (Type A personality in the medical field - bad combo). Oh, and we're not on a schedule. This drives all my Baby Wise friends and family NUTS!!!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageJillaBreeze:
    Slacker moms unite!Smile
    ha! love this.

• imagesuzyqjmu:

YOU ARE MY SOULMATE MOM!!! I get SOOOOOOO tired of hearing all the cautions etc of what could/should/should not be done... it's exhausting and makes me wonder when people have time to parent and enjoy their babies. To each his own though! That being said, I know that some people are just wired more cautious and I respect that... I just think that things these days are OVER thoguht.

• imagesuzyqjmu:
    imagehallamb:
    Amazing. Big Smile And I just want to say little Mason is ADORABLE! I've seen quite a few of your posts and his pictures always stand out!
    Thanks. I can't stop taking pics.

Me either I'm just not efficient at getting them online! Also looking at your sig I just noticed the family shot, so cute you guys dressed up like a smore! Love it!

• I'm with you. You forgot to say that you don't use scentless colorless laundry detergent. 
  • I can also add to mine, my child is under 6 months and I sometimes at night let him cry it out...
  • HA - love this post - I love the one reply about what our parents did too - so true!  This post got me thinking - I post on other boards including those for older kids.  Seems like once your kids are completely out of the new baby stage (where we are doing everything we can to try to help our little one survive) to the toddler stage (where we are doing everything we can to survive) the comments are much more encouraging and uplifting.  Its rare (from what I have seen) to see people shoot others down and call them out for their parenting style.
  • WORD.

I love this list. Although I do a couple things that are the opposite of this list--like not bathe every day and do cloth diapers-- that I'm flagged as a terrible mother by older family members. Jeez. Everyone's a critic!

To add to the list, on Halloween I did NOT dress up my 5 month old LO, because I was too busy working/caring for LO/going to family functions and never got a costume.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"