Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

To those with college degrees and SAH

Did you always intend on being a SAHM? Do you plan to go to work when LO is older? Just wondering if it's worth it to spend the time and money on school if you're not using your degree..

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: To those with college degrees and SAH

• I have a degree and I currently SAH but I do plan to return to work once my kids are in school. But beyond an education, my college degree was worth it for so much more to me. Life experience, friendships, skills beyond my major, etc. Is college for everyone? Nope. My husband didn't go (he went the military route) and makes enough money to comfortably support our family on one income. But for myself, personally, I think my college degree was entirely worth it even if it's not currently in use.
    DC1 (2.5) | DC2 (1) | #3 due 6.1.2012
  • I have a college degree and SAH.  I did not "always intend to stay at home", when I made the decision to go to college I was in high school.  I did not know what my life would involve, as far as getting married/having children etc., so I prepared myself the best way I knew how in order to be self sufficient financially. (not saying you must go to college to do so).  I agree with the PP who said that the college experience was worth so much more than just a degree.  

I have not decided yet if I will go back to work once my kids go to school. If I do, it most likely will be part time and not likely in the field of which I have a degree.  

If you are asking if I had it to do over again, would I still go to college, knowing I would SAH...yes - most definitely.  I have no regrets and yes Im still paying off student loans.

• Loading the player...
  • Yes, I always knew I would stay home if it worked out that way.  I don't see that as negating the importance of a degree though.  I will go back to work at some point, possibly as early as next year (if I can work it out part time).

• I guess I didn't always intend to, but I always thought of it as a real option.  I'm sure I'll go back to some sort of job at some point, but not for a long while.  Unless something changes, I'm doing the SAHM thing for the long haul. 

My husband is not the greatest at sharing household duties, but he is great at working hard to support us.  I know that if we both worked all day and I was still responsible for almost all of the household/not very fun parenting duties, it would be a strain on our marriage.  We have no desire to have that strain if it's not necessary. 

I definitely think my degree was worth getting.  I learned a lot, and I now have the ability to support myself and my family if the need should arise.  I was able to work to support us while my husband went to grad school full time.  Because of this, he was able to graduate debt free and permanently increase his earning potential.

I graduated from college without debt through a combination of going to a relatively inexpensive state school, working three jobs, and having help from my parents.  If I had gone $80,000 in debt for my undergrad, my opinions might be different.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have a degree and will go back to work after the little ones are in school all day long.  Although, I don't plan on going back to the corporate world.  I just don't have the drive for it any more since my priorities have changed.  I will just find something part time for fun/money.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had always wanted to, and after finding out it was twins it was the only option b/c my job wouldn't pay for childcare. 

I love the flexibility of sah and want to get into the fitness field so I can continue to have some flexibility for sick days and vacations, etc

• I have a degree & SAH, but not really by choice. Since graduating three years ago I have been unable to find a full time job in my field. To be honest, I would much rather be working than staying home full time with DS. DH's income is not enough to support our family & any money I do bring in doesn't make a huge difference at this time.
  • When I went off to college I was pretty anti-marriage and certaintly didn't think kids were in my future.   Obviously, my views on both changed when I got older.  When we started talking about kids I knew I would want to SAH for atleast a few years.  In an ideal world I would go back to PT, but we'll see what happens.  I'll never regret my degree. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I never planned on being a SAHM, but I got laid off when I was 32 weeks pregnant and have been unable to find work now.
  • I taught for nine years before I had DS and decided to SAH, so I definitely got some good use out of my degree and master's degree. I always wanted to stay home if at all possible, but after watching my mom go through college with two kids after staying home, I always new I would take care of my education before having a family. I plan to return to work part-time when my kids are in school and eventually go full-time.
    BFP#1 7/09 DS born 3/30/10 BFP#2 5/11 M/C 6/11 BFP#3 9/11 M/C 10/11 BFP #4 5/20/12 Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a teaching degree and I plan to go back once DD is in school full time! I never pictured myself as a stay at home mom. I worked really hard as a special education teacher and was very passionate about it. Last year, I was able to do a job share and work part time. That was perfect! That was cancelled and I couldn't imagine leaving DD full time. My husband has wanted me to stay home from day 1. So, here we are :)
  • I didn't always want to be a SAHM, I went to college will the full intent on working FT afterwards. After graduation there were no jobs in my field available where I live (moving was not an option) so DH and I decided that that would be a good time to TTC since I wasn't working anyways.

Then while pregnant and after Ian was born a few job opporitunities became available and I actually turned them down. I really love SAH, and couldn't imagine being away from Ian full time. I do work PT just on weekends at a job I had before college, but I just do 2 shifts a week to keep my health insurance. 

I do plan on going back to the work force after my kid(s) are in school, but I'm thinking of changing my career and going back to college. I don't know what yet, I have a few different things in mind, but I have a long while before I have to make up my mind. 

• I have a bachelors and 2 masters in education.  I taught for 5 years before having DS, but always wanted to be a SAHM.  I don't regret any of my degrees at all.  Like PP it helps that I came out debt free but still.  My last masters is in reading so I will have the option of going back part time at some point. I will wait until we are done having kids and they are in school as long as it is financially possible for our family.  
  • Personally I think education is ALWAYS with it, regardless of what you do with it. I have a BA in Social Work and I am now working on Natural Health diploma's while at home. I intend to go back to work in some aspect when our kid(s) are all in school full time. But I would also like to be home for them before and after school hours. I never had anyone around at home, and I want different for my kids (completely personal experience).

• I SAH and have a degree in education. We plan to send our girls to private school, so eventually I will go back to work part time to help cover tuition costs, hopefully something in the education field that will allow me to be home before/after school. I did always hope to stay at home, and we waited to have kids until we were financially able to make that happen. I love being a SAHM and would continue indefinitely if it weren't so important to us to send our girls to the school we've chosen.

I do not in any way regret getting my degree and I think it is 100% worth it. Partly for peace of mind that I have something to fall back on if, God forbid, something happened to DH and I needed to support my family, but also for the life experiences. And I met DH in college, so I don't regret that ;) 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I always wanted to be a sahm. I got my degree because I love learning and the experience and knowledge helped me grow as a person. I got a poli sci degree which is pretty worthless in terms of job hunting but I loved what I learned. 

If I go back to work I'll probably get my masters in education first and teach. Short of financial disaster I won't work until our kids are all in school so 8 yrs at the earliest if we have #2 when we hope to. 

• I completed my masters degree in special education the week my son was born. Previously I already had my bachelor's degree in teaching. I did teach for 3 years before deciding to stay home. I always knew that I would love to be a stay at home mom. There are times when I am paying these student loans that I feel like I wasted my time and money because while I do intend to get back into the field once my son and future children are school aged I have no idea what the market will be like that by that time. Overall, I am glad I got the education I did though. It was an accomplishment for me and hopefully I do get to use it more someday.
  • I have a degree in education.  I always knew if I had children I wanted to be home with them as I grew up with a sahm.  That being said, I went to college out of high school. I sure as heck wasn't having babies then and who knew if that was ever going to happen.  I taught for many years before having childen and who knows if I will need to do so again. A degree or trade is extremely important to have whether you plan on staying at home or not.  So, yes it was worth every penny!
  • My degree is in Visual Arts, which is sort of a waste anyway...

but honestly my intention was to continue working at least part-time after having kids.  The cost of daycare where we were living (Boston) made it impractical for me to work full time outside of the house so I worked part-time from home when I had one kid, then we had another and relocated so now I'm full time SAH.  It all came down to finances.

I hope to either rejoin the workforce when both kids are in school or go back to school for my Master's in something more practical.

• Still thinking about this...I can't imagine anyone thinking their degree wasn't worth it just because they stay home with their children.  Our husbands could leave us tomorrow and we would all need a job.
  • No I don't plan on being a SAHM for ever. Honestly, its not my cup o tea. I am staying at home because it would be a wash for me to work w/ the cost of daycare. I plan to move to my home state where I can have family help, daycare is cheaper, housing is cheaper and possibly get my masters degree. We'll be moving this early summer. Part of the reason I am having #2 so close is the timing of going back to work and being a sahm. 
  • ALL YOU SMART TALK MOFOS SHOULD COME WORK IN MY CABINET

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have my degree and I SAH. I DO have my insurance license to "work" but I don't really like doing that so I am trying to look for a job (part time of course).

I, to a point, think that getting my degree was a huge mistake, especially right now in my life. I want to SAH at least until my kids are in grade school and only work while they're at school. If I had really thought things through before I enrolled I wouldn't have enrolled. 

Now $50K later, we're not doing so well financially since we're paying on my school loans and I'm not working yet

I mean it was a huge accomplishment for me to go back to school when my DD was 7 after being out of school for 10 years but if I could change my decision to go back I totally would. 

IMO, if I were you, I would DEFINITELY think things through long and hard before making such a drastic move.

• I am 3 classes away from my master's.  I was working in a crappy job, where literally half my pay check went to daycare each month.  It just wasn't worth it, so I just quit my job last week to stay at home with my daughter.  I plan on going back to work once she starts pre-school.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I plan on going to work once DD is in school. In the mean time, I love being a SAHM!
  • I always hoped to SAH with my children, but wasn't going to forego college on a hope. 

I worked for 5 years (3 with my MA) before having DD. My degrees are in early childhood development and education so I feel I use them on a daily basis. I hope to go back to work once DD (and any future children) are in school.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I could never imagine a degree not being worth it.

I intended to SAH when we started our family. I also have my master's degree. If there arises a situation in which I need to go back to work, I have my degree to fall back on.

• I would not feel comfortable staying at home without a college degree. I love my husband and we have a wonderful relationship, but anything can happen. He could leave me tomorrow, or he could die in a car accident on the way home tonight. Sure we have life insurance and savings, but that only goes so far. It's hard to get back into the job market after not having a job for a while. I can't imagine trying to get a job supporting me and my family without having a degree to fall back on.
  • I always knew that I would want the option to SAH but I didn't have any intentions either way.  I plan to go back to work once our kids are in school, but even if I didn't I wouldn't think it was a waste of time and money at all.  It was an important experience and I'll be able to better support myself and my kids if something ever happens to DH like job loss, divorce, death, etc.  I don't see how I could ever regret going to college.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• i absolutely think it was worth it. i have a bachelor's in fine art and i pursued it because it was my passion, not because it guaranteed me any kind of job. it did help though, having a degree can show employers that you have the dedication to complete a four (or other) year college plan, even if you're not trying to get a job in your field. i think my experiences there made me more resourceful and it helped a great deal when dh was out of work. even if you only plan to stay home, things can come up and a college degree is definitely a good thing to have in your arsenal.
  •  But beyond an education, my college degree was worth it for so much more to me. Life experience, friendships, skills beyond my major, etc. 

This exactly. However, my Masters that is not in use is a little bit more of a sting.

ETA: Meant to quote marieloves

2012 Races: 3/18 Shamrock Shuffle 5k; 4/14 E.R. Race for Autism 5k (PR! 25:58); 6/9 Riudoso Sprint Triathlon; 6/24 Chunky Monkey 10K; 7/29 Cochiti Lake Olympic Triathlon; 9/16 Chips & Salsa 1/2 Marathon; 10/21 Duke City 1/2 Marathon; 12/2 Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon in Vegas!
  • imageKaley28:

But beyond an education, my college degree was worth it for so much more to me. Life experience, friendships, skills beyond my major, etc. 

This exactly. However, my Masters that is not in use is a little bit more of a sting.

ETA: Meant to quote marieloves

I didn't finish mine and paying the loans on the start of it stings too! 

• I dont think it's possible to "waste" an education. The time and money spent on college wasn't just for getting a job and I'll always have a degree. Think of how many people end up getting jobs that have nothing to do with their degree and/or dont require a college degree. Education is an experience, not just a means to an end. 

I hoped there would be a possibility for me to stay home with my (future) kids, but I didnt plan on it. My kids are almost 4 and 6 and I work (very) part time now but can't wait to work more once they're both in school full time.  

• imagewife1014:
    I have a degree in education.  I always knew if I had children I wanted to be home with them as I grew up with a sahm.  That being said, I went to college out of high school. I sure as heck wasn't having babies then and who knew if that was ever going to happen.  I taught for many years before having childen and who knows if I will need to do so again. A degree or trade is extremely important to have whether you plan on staying at home or not.  So, yes it was worth every penny!

Same story here. I was 17 when I started college. It was a great experience. I taught for 8 years before having a baby. I plan to work again but even if I don't - my degree has made me a better mom. 

My friend married at 18 and had 3 kids right away. No college. Her husband cheated on her twice and they're divorced as of last month. Guess who is super screwed?  

• I taught for 6 years. During my 6th year(I had DS during this year), my position was cut to half time.  It was a blessing in disguise, even though we struggled financially.  This would have been my 7th year teaching, but my position was cut completely.  I am a SAHM not by choice. I have gone on a few interviews, but nothing has come of it.  I love being home with M, but I miss teaching. I also miss the paycheck(I was the breadwinner). I can't trade this time with M, and I am praying someone retires at my former district in the next two years, so I can go back! I miss teaching.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have two bachelors degrees: the first in exercise physiology (which is worthless) and the second is my BSN (nursing). I've been a SAHM since DS1 was born.

I have every intention on going back to work. I never planned on being a SAHM, it just kinda happened that way (long story). I love this opportunity that I've been given, but I'm getting pretty anxious to get back and use the degrees that I worked SO hard for, particularly my BSN.

• I hoped to be one, but we live in a HCOL area and I wasn't sure we could swing it. The current plan is for me to go back when I want to- or not at all. If I go back though I'd likely need to go back to school though.

It's funny because my mom just mentioned the other day that my parents spent an awful lot of money putting my sister and I through college for us to SAH. I thought it was weird coming from her because she SAH from the time I was born until I was 14.

ETA: I do, however, feel as though it was worth it. I didn't have DS and SAH until 7 years after I graduated though. If I immediately became a SAHM upon graduation I might think differently. But, I also learned a lot more than just book smarts in college.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"