January 2012 Moms

Are you cheap?

I am. And I know it.

I just spent $70 on myself at Target and honestly feel sick. 
What did I buy? Maternity jeans, a new bra, and 5 pairs of underwear. All things I really did need.

I have been living in 1 pair of maternity jeans from my last PG that are about 20 lbs too big. The last time I bought new bras was when I got nursing bras for DD. And I probably haven't bought underwear in 2 years. 

Justify my purchases for me before I totally redo our November budget over $70 :)
evelyn 4.2010 | will 1.2012 | baby BOY due 12.2014
pregnant and/or breastfeeding since 2009.

Re: Are you cheap?

• I'm totally cheap.  I desperately need a new bra, but I'm getting away with not buying a new one by keeping it off when I'm home.  The maternity pants are probably too small by now too, but I don't want to spend money on that either.  It doesn't help that because I'm not working right now I'm more conscious of even spending money on fast food.
    July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • We are one and the same. I hate spending money, even if it's on things we need. Food is killer-- it's SO expensive! LOL. I feel like going out is a waste of money, because, let's be honest, it is. I think every article of clothing I own (excluding t-shirts) was either bought at Goodwill or deeply discounted. $30 for a blouse, no thanks! We need a new Internet cable for our WiFi box, DH keeps reminding me, but "it works fine," even though it falls out of the back of the box 5 times a day. lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • Crap. I'm so cheap that I have never even bought Maternity underwear! I just push through with the old undies and destroy them in the process. I "treat" myself to new undies after baby is here. Other than lacy crap right now, I'm down to 3 pairs and I still refuse to go to the store. i will make it the next 2-ish months! lol. And mat pants, I have 1 pair. I'm not working, so I don't need a wardrobe through this pregnancy, but I will have to go buy another pair. Seeing as it's my last pregnancy I don't want to go crazy.
  • I am super cheap, when it comes to certain things. When it comes to groceries, I do everything I can to save money. I religiously read through all of our weekly adds for best prices on things, and stock up the freezer.  We rarely ever eat out, and Friday night dinner out usually means McDonalds or Taco Bell. I'll add that having a 2yo who love to scream the ABC's pretty much limits us to restaurants that will tolerate such behavior :)

But I also know that certain expensive things are unavoidable.  Having good clothes is one of those things. I make sure to have the basics, things I can mix and match together, and spend a little more on better brands so that they last longer. But I always make sure to get it on sale!!!

Me: 29  DH: 33
    Married April 1st 2017 <3
    DS #1: May 2009 
    DS #2: Jan 2012 

• yes i am. i hate buying things without coupons. but i am also an impulse buyer which makes me more mad.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  •  I'm cheap too.  You are justified though.

• imagemjay79:
    Crap. I'm so cheap that I have never even bought Maternity underwear! I just push through with the old undies and destroy them in the process. I "treat" myself to new undies after baby is here. Other than lacy crap right now, I'm down to 3 pairs and I still refuse to go to the store. i will make it the next 2-ish months! lol. And mat pants, I have 1 pair. I'm not working, so I don't need a wardrobe through this pregnancy, but I will have to go buy another pair. Seeing as it's my last pregnancy I don't want to go crazy.

what the h is MATERNITY UNDERWEAR???
    haha wow not in a million years. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was living on like 5 pairs of undies :) hahah

• imageAliW220:

I'll add that having a 2yo who love to scream the ABC's pretty much limits us to restaurants that will tolerate such behavior :)

That is so adorable :)

• You bet I am! I used to spend every penny of every pay check I got on clothes, getting my hair done..whatever. and then..I met my husband ;) haha He is the king of frugal and I guess he just wore off on me because now I only get something if I absolutely NEED it and I will never pay full price for anything. Groceries are bought at aldi's..except meat because I'm weird about my meat. I haven't gotten into being a hardcore coupon clipper, but if I see one for something we regularly buy then I will cut it out and use it. 

• I am totally cheap. I know that sick feeling well.

BUT!  one thing I've learned is that it's WORTH the money sometimes to just feel a little better about the way I look. I'm by no means a fashion plate or anything. but just being able to feel like I look decent from time to time is valuable in and of itself.

you're worth it! And because you're cheap, you know you're not going to go out and repeat the performance time and again and waste money. wear the clothes well and feel good about yourself and rework that budget and next month you probably won't even miss the cash, but you'll still feel like a million bucks in your new duds.

• imageniccimax:

No.  And its awful.  I spend money like there is no tomorrow.  I am so lazy I contract out stuff around my house instead of forcing DH to do it.  Its awful.

I have a crib up in the attic (from DS) which its lovely, but when we moved I have no clue what the heck I did with all the screws.  So last week I went out and bot a new crib.  What most normal people would do - is just go buy new screws or figure out another way to put it together.   Not me. 

Its awful.  I seriously need someone to make me spend my money better.

I will send my friend Dave Ramsey over to visit you in the UK. But you have been warned...

• Yes I am totally cheap. I love hand me downs and I love sales. I am down to about 5 pairs of underwear but am dreading spending the money on more. When I do spend money I feel guilty! OY!!!!
    GreenHood Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hmm, I don't consider myself or DH cheap necessarily, but there is one money thing that DH does.  He cannot pass up on a perceived "deal".  For example, if tomatoes cost so much for a single tomato, but are significantly cheaper for buying in bulk, he will insist on buying the bulk bag, even as I insist that there is no way we will eat them all.  We went to Krispy Kreme on a craving last week, and before we walked in I warned him: "they are going to try to convince you to buy a dozen.  We only need half a dozen, its so bad for us!"  But because half a dozen comes up to like, 6.50 and a dozen is like 7 dollars, he could. not. say. no.  "It's such a good deal!" he says.  "It's like free donuts!"  Yes, and free type two diabetes.  He is like this with any single vs. bulk item.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I thought I was cheap (I drive a 20 yo volvo that is literally falling apart under me just because I can't bear the thought of spending $25 - $50K on a new vehicle) . . . until I read some of these responses.  You ladies are champs at saving money. 

There are just some things that I feel are worth spending money on - good bras and underwear at the top of that list. 

And there are some things that I don't  - furniture for our temporary housing situation (hence the Ikea dresser, bar stools and media stand that are rubbing shoulders with our Thos. Moser dining room furniture and antique orientals) and children's clothing (hence all the consignment shopping I've been doing).

image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not cheap and I don't have a need to be, but I certainly like to save money when I can. I don't generally worry about the grocery bill since I buy certain things that it just doesn't matter how much they are (within reason) but I will look for coupons for the things that I do buy and if it's on sale I will stock up. For example: we don't use regular jelly, we use spreadable fruit (looks exactly the same just no added sugar and stuff). At Albertson's the spreadable fruit is over $4 for a tiny jar! At Target it's less than $2 and when it goes on sale for about $1.50 I buy several jars. "Buy what you use not what you need" is how I try to look at the grocery shopping.  

I spent $100 online at Target last week on clothes, but they were 30% off or 20% I don't remember, plus free shipping plus 3% back with my ebates account so I got a good deal. I don't feel bad about it at all especially since I saved about $30. Before I make any purchase online (or in store if I can plan ahead) I try to find coupons for it and I almost never buy online if I have to pay more than a couple dollars shipping.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a love/hate relationship with money.  I love coupons, try to buy things only on sale and shop at bargain stores (not brand name.) But then I'm like "Oh that's cheap" and buy stuff I don't need. And when I'm sad, I like to shop to cheer myself up. It's bad. I literally spend $80 every time I go to Target. Every.single.time. I always hit the magic number. The good part is that I shop for groceries there too, so it's not just other stuff, but it makes me ill to see how much money goes there. I really want to create a budget and stick to it, but I've had such a hard time having time to do it. Sad
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD, the love of my life, born January 26, 2012

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  •  I would feel so guilty no matter how justified the purchase is! I spent $60 at target last month on baby clothes and a maternity dress for a wedding I was going to and felt so bad! I blame it in that whole catholic guilt thing, which is really applicable to most things in my life. Lol 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • imageniccimax:

No.  And its awful.  I spend money like there is no tomorrow.  I am so lazy I contract out stuff around my house instead of forcing DH to do it.  Its awful.

I have a crib up in the attic (from DS) which its lovely, but when we moved I have no clue what the heck I did with all the screws.  So last week I went out and bot a new crib.  What most normal people would do - is just go buy new screws or figure out another way to put it together.   Not me. 

Its awful.  I seriously need someone to make me spend my money better.

Wow...we're like the same person! I went and bought a new diaper bag (the old one was perfect condition and cute) but I just felt like "new baby? new bag!" yes, completely not needed. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"