3rd Trimester

OB vs. Midwife

I have been in L&D 3 times now.  The last two I had the same nurse (guess that was just good timing) and I had a nurse practicioner checking on me and I had the on call OB come in and talk to me and make the decisions.  Yesterday I was back and instead of what i was used to i had a nurse to check me in and then I only saw a midwife, she came in hoked me up to the monitors, asked some questions, checked my cervix.  But she seemed SO unsure of herself.  She kept asking me why I was making "faces"... um, well I'm in pain! I'm having contractions and they aren't pleasant.  Then she comes back a while later and gives me some medicine and checks my contraction monitor and says "wow, you havent had one in 25 min!"... uh i can see it and know how to read it and it registered 3 in that time span and I felt EACH ONE!  

I'm anxious to see my OB on monday and get her take on everything.  But I'm wondering why I would see a midwife and not an OB?  or if anyone else had an experience like this.  Maybe it was just her, or I'm just not used to not seeing one of my Dr.s  

image  image  image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: OB vs. Midwife

• It was probably just her... I've found most nurse midwives to be just as competent as OBs, but you might have just got a weird one.
  • That's really weird! Maybe she's new? I can't imagine why she would have done that.

My midwife is amazing! I've never had to wait for an appointment. She's always upfront and honest with me and listens to everything I have to say. I've never been rushed in an appointment. Most of them have been at her home. She works part time at a birth center in a bigger city and part time in my much smaller town. My whole pregnancy has been all about me and what I need. It's been amazing. I can't even imagine going to an OB. The only appointment I had with one I waited in the waiting room for about 40 minutes and then once they brought me to the room I waited another 20 minutes for the doctor. I don't know if that's normal but it definitely was not something I wanted. I am so pro midwife. This is only my first baby and I know I'll have a midwife every time.

Also I am having the baby at home and my midwife owns the birth center. So maybe that makes a difference. I'm not sure. 

tiana
  • Loading the player...
  • def just that person...midwifes are amazing
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I also say that it was just the person.  My Dr. office has a bunch of both.  I have had OB's that I thought were a bit off and only one midwife.  However my past 5 or so appt. have been with a midwife and I can't say enough good things.  My experience has been that they are much more able to listen and I don't feel so rushed to get through the appointment. 

• imageturner215:

I have been in L&D 3 times now.  The last two I had the same nurse (guess that was just good timing) and I had a nurse practicioner checking on me and I had the on call OB come in and talk to me and make the decisions.  Yesterday I was back and instead of what i was used to i had a nurse to check me in and then I only saw a midwife, she came in hoked me up to the monitors, asked some questions, checked my cervix.  But she seemed SO unsure of herself.  She kept asking me why I was making "faces"... um, well I'm in pain! I'm having contractions and they aren't pleasant.  Then she comes back a while later and gives me some medicine and checks my contraction monitor and says "wow, you havent had one in 25 min!"... uh i can see it and know how to read it and it registered 3 in that time span and I felt EACH ONE!  

I'm anxious to see my OB on monday and get her take on everything.  But I'm wondering why I would see a midwife and not an OB?  or if anyone else had an experience like this.  Maybe it was just her, or I'm just not used to not seeing one of my Dr.s  

When you say you could see it...do you mean the monitor? I am a labor and delivery nurse and sometimes the contractions are not contractions but irritability. Also how often are you feeling contractions? Midwives have almost the same training as a doctor they just can't perform invasive births (think vacuum assisted births, forceps deliveries and c-sections). As pp posters posted midwives are generally as good as obs with more patien care focus. If this midwife seemed off either she waas be or just odd.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"