Baby Showers

What if no one offers to throw you a shower?

I don't mean to sound greedy or presumptuous because I?m not, I?m just the type of person who likes to plan ahead and be well organized so my question is?At what point do you assume no one is going to offer to throw you a shower and just start getting things yourself?  I?m in the military so I?m not near any family that would throw me a shower so it would only be a friend/co-worker who would offer.  People have casually talked about it but no one has come out and said they were going to throw me a shower, its like everyone talks about it assuming someone else will do it.  I would hope someone would but I don?t want to assume that and then no one does and at the last minute run around to get things I need because I didn?t get a shower either.

Re: What if no one offers to throw you a shower?

• imagerheannesmomma:

I don't mean to sound greedy or presumptuous because I?m not, I?m just the type of person who likes to plan ahead and be well organized so my question is?At what point do you assume no one is going to offer to throw you a shower and just start getting things yourself?  I?m in the military so I?m not near any family that would throw me a shower so it would only be a friend/co-worker who would offer.  People have casually talked about it but no one has come out and said they were going to throw me a shower, its like everyone talks about it assuming someone else will do it.  I would hope someone would but I don?t want to assume that and then no one does and at the last minute run around to get things I need because I didn?t get a shower either.

I would say if you're almost 7 months pregnant and no one's seriously mentioned it, you aren't having one. 

• Start buying the big things now. Save your receipts. If you get a shower and have doubles, you can take things back.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagepanicked228:

Start buying the big things now. Save your receipts. If you get a shower and have doubles, you can take things back.

I agree with this.  People may also give you a few gifts here and there without a shower and if you have a Meet the Baby after it is born, you will most likely receive items, and having receipts will making returning any extras should they happen much easier.  Also, if you haven't made a registry because of no shower planned, do it now--the completion coupon is also a great way to save money  :)

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If no one offers to throw you a shower, you don't get one. Don't throw your own.  End of story.
    Big A 06-07-08 Little A 11-11-11
  • imageJMack1117:
    If no one offers to throw you a shower, you don't get one. Don't throw your own.  End of story.

God people jump at every chance to get up on their pedestal and declare this....! 

How about we get down off our high horse and try a little reading comprehension!?!

She is not asking whether or not she should throw her own. She never even mentions it. She wants to know when to start buying her own items.

"If every word I said, could make you laugh - I'd talk forever".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Anytime you're ready, you can start getting your big items.  I would hang on to all receipts (of your own and any gifts you might get outside of a shower) just in case.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • I think it's pretty safe to assume that no one is going to throw you a shower at 7 months.  I would just create a registry or two, and when people ask if you are having a shower say something like, "No...I don't think so, but I've registered online at _______________ for some of my out town family and friends."  I think people would get the hint.  Then if they want to buy you a gift, they know where you're registered.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I would start getting the things you need.  If someone does throw you a shower, you can use the gifts as extras and probably end up with lots of clothes, blankets, and hooded towels.

You can keep receipts and keep things unopened so anything can be returned if you are concerned.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageEvenAngelsFall:

imageJMack1117:
    If no one offers to throw you a shower, you don't get one. Don't throw your own.  End of story.

God people jump at every chance to get up on their pedestal and declare this....! 

How about we get down off our high horse and try a little reading comprehension!?!

She is not asking whether or not she should throw her own. She never even mentions it. She wants to know when to start buying her own items.

Hello Pot, I would like to introduce you to Kettle. Also, in JMack's defense, I first read the OP to mean that she was going to plan her own shower. I had to reread it to understand what she meant.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • We are starting to buy the big things needed now, we have 6 weeks left. I think a meet the baby party does sounds great.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage

• I only had to read the OP once and never did I think she was even considering throwing her own shower...she was only asking when she should start buying things since no one has offerer to throw one yet. 

OP...if you only have 6 weeks left I would start buying the large things (crib, carseat, stroller - or combo, etc).  Like the others said just keep your receipts so you can take anything back that is a double (if some people get you gifts).  You will need clothes but most things can wait until you have a "meet the baby party" if you plan to do one.  At those events a lot of people buy clothes or diapers even though gifts are not required like they are at a shower.  You might be surprised by a work shower...who knows.  I had my showers late in my pregnancy so you never know.  You said you were in the military and away from family...has anyone sent you anything yet?  It's possible everyone is waiting until the baby is born.

• imagecouliegirl:

Hello Pot, I would like to introduce you to Kettle. Also, in JMack's defense, I first read the OP to mean that she was going to plan her own shower. I had to reread it to understand what she meant. 

1. Your pot / kettle reference does not make sense nor apply to the context in which it was used.

2. Seriously? You had to reread it? What, too many big words? She had a pretty simple question. It would only be confusing to hose who came into the post with pre-conceived notions... judging before they even read it.  

"If every word I said, could make you laugh - I'd talk forever".
  • imageEvenAngelsFall:
    imagecouliegirl:

1. Your pot / kettle reference does not make sense nor apply to the context in which it was used.

2. Seriously? You had to reread it? What, too many big words? She had a pretty simple question. It would only be confusing to hose who came into the post with pre-conceived notions... judging before they even read it.  

1) the pot/kettle reference only doesn't make sense if you are oblivious to the fact that you were on a total high horse when you called JMack out on her post.

2)Yes. Seriously. I originally read it to say something to the effect of when do you stop waiting for someone to throw you a shower and start planning it yourself. I re-read it and understood what it meant. Do not assume that I am stupid or ignorant. Also, I find it odd that you would accuse others of judging, when in both posts on this thread you have been extremly judgemental towards others. Although, I wouldn't expect that you could see that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagecouliegirl:
    imageEvenAngelsFall:
    imagecouliegirl:

1) the pot/kettle reference only doesn't make sense if you are oblivious to the fact that you were on a total high horse when you called JMack out on her post.

2)Yes. Seriously. I originally read it to say something to the effect of when do you stop waiting for someone to throw you a shower and start planning it yourself. I re-read it and understood what it meant. Do not assume that I am stupid or ignorant. Also, I find it odd that you would accuse others of judging, when in both posts on this thread you have been extremly judgemental towards others. Although, I wouldn't expect that you could see that.

I wish I could shake the hand of whoever first had the idea to make message boards for pregnant women.

Seriously...take women who were probably total bishes before they got pregnant and add in tons of hormones and it always adds up to quality entertainment for everyone.

• imagerhubarb123:

I only had to read the OP once and never did I think she was even considering throwing her own shower...she was only asking when she should start buying things since no one has offerer to throw one yet. 

OP...if you only have 6 weeks left I would start buying the large things (crib, carseat, stroller - or combo, etc).  Like the others said just keep your receipts so you can take anything back that is a double (if some people get you gifts).  You will need clothes but most things can wait until you have a "meet the baby party" if you plan to do one.  At those events a lot of people buy clothes or diapers even though gifts are not required like they are at a shower.  You might be surprised by a work shower...who knows.  I had my showers late in my pregnancy so you never know.  You said you were in the military and away from family...has anyone sent you anything yet?  It's possible everyone is waiting until the baby is born.

All of this.

If you want to respond to a post, you should read more than just the title.  The OP never hinted at throwing her own shower at all. 

There is a great list on the alphamom website that tells you what you need to buy now and what can wait until later.

Here's the link

https://alphamom.com/pregnancy/our-ultimate-baby-registry-checklist/

• Yeah, I didn't see anywhere that said that she was going to throw herself a shower.

Good God, why do people have to pull the the b!itch out all the time? The woman was just asking a question. 

• imageJMack1117:

Agreed.

• imageEvenAngelsFall:

imageJMack1117:

Agreed!  She isn't even considering throwing her own shower!  Sheesh!

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • yeah, you don't want to be out last minute trying to buy everything.  Just try not to buy much clothes until later as you'll probably receive a lot of that as gifts. People love to give cute outfits!

I sure hope someone does offer to give you a shower or at least a lot of gift cards to help set you up!  

• imageBabyTime01032012:
    I think it's pretty safe to assume that no one is going to throw you a shower at 7 months.  I would just create a registry or two, and when people ask if you are having a shower say something like, "No...I don't think so, but I've registered online at _______________ for some of my out town family and friends."  I think people would get the hint.  Then if they want to buy you a gift, they know where you're registered.

Please don't do this. It's seriously tacky. 

• Throw your own shower...etiquette schmetiquette. Everyone deserves to celebrate their childs birth. Don't put registry info on the invite letting them know a gift is not required.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"