Infertility

IVF and tax breaks next year?

I thought I read somewhere that you can get big tax breaks for doing IVF, especially if it's OOP. That is us, so I hope that it's true. We usually just use the online easy form for our taxes, but if we really get some tax breaks from doing IVF then we'll probably take them to a professional come the new year. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this? Is it at a federal level or is it something that varies from state to state? TIA!

Re: IVF and tax breaks next year?

• Its actually only if you exceed a certain percentage of your annual income. I cant remember what the percentage is... (my husband and I didnt qualify last year) But its on the Federal level and its not just IVF its all medical expenses. :) hope that helps! GL
    Nothing Lasts forever, so live it up, drink it down, laugh it off, avoid the bullshit, take chances, and never have regrets, because at one point everything you did was exactly what you wanted!
    Married June 21st, 2008
    TTC since June 2008
    Me:24 DH:25

Tried Naturally until January 2010
    First RE Jan 2010 Tests

DX: misdiagnosed w/PCOS now just unexplained DH: Perfect!

Feb 2010 Naturally
    March 2010-June 2010 Clomid Cycles BFFN!
    July 2010 Naturally BFFN!
    August 2010 Naturally BFFN!
    September 2010 Clomid & Menopure cyclew/timed intercourse BFFN!
    October 2010 Menopure Cycle w/timed intercourse BFFN!
    November 2010 Menopure Cycle w/timed intercourse BFFN!
    December Menopure Cycle w/timed intercourse BFFN!
    January 2011 Break
    February 2011 Alternative Medicine
    March 2011 Break
    April 2011 AF for the first time with NO MEDICINE!
    May 2011-October 2011 Naturally with our new found AF! BFFN!
    November 11th, 2011 Appt to set up a new plan!!!! :)
    November 2011 monitored Clomid BFFN!
    December 2011 DH wanted to try another round of monitored Clomid... Ended up with a cyst. which made it to where its now a natural cycle...
    December 2011 cont. Natural.. (maybe luck will be on our side) BFFN!
    January 2012 monitored Clomid BFFN!
    February 2012 monitored Clomid (lost 32lbs in 10 days) no ovulation
    March 2012 Monitored Clomid w/IUI BFFN!
    April 2012 Monitored Clomid w/IUI (& Sobar La Matriz) BFFN!
    May 2012 clomid & Menopure w/IUI BFFN!
    June 2012 Natural (went camping couldnt go to appointment)BFFN!
    July 2012 Natural (no money) BFFN!
    August 2012 Natural and Holistic methods.. BFFN!
    September 2012-November 2012 natural BFFN!
    December 2012 natural BFFN!
    Januray 2013 not sure what we are doing anymore! :(
  • I'm not sure about current tax laws and IVF, but there has been a lot of talk about The Family Act of 2011. Kristen Gillibrand of NY introduced the bill in May and I think it has been sitting around in the Senate for awhile. I don't know much about it, but I believe it gives a tax credit to those going through ART procedures. I think the credit is around $13K??
    TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• Loading the player...
  • It's not just IVF, any medical expenses can be deducted on your income tax return. You have to file an itemized deduction and medical expenses are anything over 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. So, if you make $100k you can deduct anything over $7,500.

Medical expenses include: health insurance premiums, deductibles, copays, any non-covered medical expenses, milage to and from the facility, parking fees and I'm sure there are others.

If you have never itemized I suggest you go to irs.gov and research what can be deducted to get the best benefit from itemizing. DH and I have always done our own income tax returns. With the programs they have today it's so easy.

After 3 years of infertility we were blessed with twin girls through private infant adoption.
    Forever our's October 17th 2012
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMandy_Lou83:

It's not just IVF, any medical expenses can be deducted on your income tax return. You have to file an itemized deduction and medical expenses are anything over 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. So, if you make $100k you can deduct anything over $7,500.

Medical expenses include: health insurance premiums, deductibles, copays, any non-covered medical expenses, milage to and from the facility, parking fees and I'm sure there are others.

If you have never itemized I suggest you go to irs.gov and research what can be deducted to get the best benefit from itemizing. DH and I have always done our own income tax returns. With the programs they have today it's so easy.

ditto this

i've been deducting for the last 2 years

:(

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, It empties today of its strength. ~Corrie ten Boom
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow. ~Mary Anne Radmacher (thank you beadinglady)

It's been a long journey. TTC since 9/06. multiple IUI's and IVF's and 4 m/c's. IVF#3 = BFP, twins, induced at 34w6d due to baby b passing away (no explanation). Delivered on 35w1d, Baby A - baby girl, and Baby B - baby boy, our little angel.
    MTHFR A1298C & C677T, Immune Issues and Factor II
  • imageMandy_Lou83:

It's not just IVF, any medical expenses can be deducted on your income tax return. You have to file an itemized deduction and medical expenses are anything over 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. So, if you make $100k you can deduct anything over $7,500.

I was just coming in here to say this, but I see Mandy Lou's got it covered.  The silver lining in all of this is I'm almost excited to be able to write off so much on my taxes.  (Of course, I'm also depressed I had to spend that much in the first place... and that I still don't have a baby I can get a child tax credit for.)

TTC since September 2009.

IVF #2: +HPT 2/6/12! ~ Boy/Girl Twins!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can report any medical expenses (not covered by insurance).  This includes co-pays, OOP treatments, meds, acupuncture, chiropractor, etc. Keep a running tab (and save receipts in case you get audited).  I am guessing it varies state to state but in Colorado, in order to get the tax deduction the total amount has to be 7% or higher of your total income (ie: 7k in expenses on 100k total income).    

Your RE office as well as chiro, acupunture, etc should have this history and should be able to give you a "super bill" showing all activity for the year.  Pharmacies may be willing to do this for you too.

I would definitely make the effort if you meet your state's percentages.  Hope this helps!  Lauren

• If the Family Building Act passes, it would allow you to get a credit (dollar for dollar) of your IVF expenses. So, if you spent $15K, you would get a $15K credit on your taxes. No worries about hitting a certain percentage of your adjusted gross income and not being able to deduct the whole thing. It's currently held up on some committee, as they want to hear more testimony from doctors.

Here's a link to a petition site where you can create a petition online and send it to your rep. If you want to be heard, you need to act.

https://www.petitiononline.com/FI200507/petition.html

Just a guess, but I would imagine if the Act passed in 2012, it would be retroactive to Jan 1, 2012.

If we all signed the petition, we can make a difference. There are so many of us struggling with this issue.

Over 40--"advanced maternal age" DH: male factor Getting ready for 2nd IVF.
  • Signed :-)
    Me: 31, DH: 37, TTC #1 since 06/09, dx: Endometriosis diagnosed by Dr during ER
    02/10-low progesterone on 21 day bloodwork (5.2); on hold due to cyst
    04/2010-9/2010 6 failed Clomid cycles with TI (unmonitored)=BFN 4/10 SA= perfect
    8/10-HSG all clear
    9/10-started seeing RE
    10/10-Femara + TI= BFN
    11/2010 through 2/2011 IUI #1-3 Femara + Ovidrel=BFN
    03/2011 through 8/2011 BREAK CYCLES (had 8 babyshower to go to, house remodel, 30th b-day and College Graduation)
    9/2011-Started back to RE, waiting on cycle due to it being late, and work travel had to hold off IUI #4 till 10/2011
    10/2011- IUI #4 on hold due to cyst, 2 weeks BCP
    11/2011- IUI #4 (11-21-2011?) Femara + Follistim + Ovidrel=Converted over to T.I. (NO Trigger) due to too many follicles=BFN
    3 cysts due to follistim cycle
    January 2012=IVF #1 cancelled and converted to IUI #4 due to dominant follicles=BFNN
    IVF 1.2=??? on hold due to cysts, on hold w/o B.C. till they resolve
    br> Aug 2012 IVF 1.2, cyst aspiration 8/7, ER8/16, Dr found Endometriosis in Left tube during ER ER:7, Fert 5, 5DT scheduled 8/21/2012, transfered 2 Blasts, hpt + 8/28/2012, beta 8/31/2012-BFP -21(chemical pregnancy
    IVF #2 October 2012
    ER 10/13/2012, 6R,5M,3F
    10/15/12 ET:3dt 2 embies
    +HPT 6dp 3dt.
    1st beta 10/29/12 Positive 13dp 3dt=654
    2nd Beta: 10/31/2012: 1,836
    3rd beta 11/5/2012 (20dp 3dt:13,655
    1st u/s 11/12/12 TWINS!!! 2nd u/s 11/26/12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board