1st Trimester

11 Weeks and not gaining

I went to my first Dr's appointment at 8 weeks (3 weeks + 2 days ago) and weighed in at 132.  I'm 34 and have always been a beanpole until the past year or so.  I started packing on pounds, particularly in the belly area.  The first time I was pregnant I was in my late 20's and I gained about 45 pounds so I've been preparing myself to be even more heavy this time.  BUT, in 3 weeks I haven't gained a single pound?  My weight has flucuated between 130 and 132 but never gone above.  My husband says I'm showing but I can't really tell much of a difference between now and what belly I already had (except when I'm bloated, then I look like I'm about 5 months along).  I was nauseous for about 5 weeks straight but didn't do much actual throwing up so I don't think it's that.  I've been exercising more since I found out but not enough to be losing weight I don't think.  Has anyone else had this?  Is it ok?  I don't go back to the doctor for almost 2 weeks. 

Re: 11 Weeks and not gaining

• thats normal. first 12 weeks its only normal to gain about 3 pounds!! I only gained 16 pounds with my first pregnancy and I got pregnant at 100 pounds and delivered at 116 and had a 19 in 6 pound 3oz healthy baby girl!!! everyone is different!!!
  • Ideally most women will only gain a pound or two during 1st Tri (other than from bloat, which can account for higer ##s in many women but will often go away in 2nd tri). 

I have only gained one pound so far (at 11w) and my OB is pleased with that (I also have not had any m/s to affect the weight gain).  Because I was overweight to start with, my OB said ideally I should only gain 20-25 pounds during the whole pregnancy because my body has enough energy stores to take care of me, so the only weight I should really gain will be the baby, fluid, placenta, etc. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • It is perfectly fine to gain little or no weight in the first tri. I have not gained but actually lost weight. I know eventually the pounds will start packing on. With both my boys I gained 55 pounds.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Be totally, totally happy about not gaining weight.  For my first pregnancy, I didn't gain weight until my 22nd week appt., only gained 20 lbs overall, had a health 7lb4oz baby and was back to my pp weight in no time.  I can only hope this happens again so I'm really hoping to maintain during the 1st trimester. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I haven't gained any weight either.  I wouldn't worry.
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I lost 2 pounds between my 8 week and 12 week appointments. I never threw up either, just felt gross and no food ever sounded good. My doctor was not concerned at all...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Allergic to soy, oat, egg, peanuts, and tree nuts
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have lost a couple pounds and also did in the first tri with my DD.  I expect to slowly start gaining now that I don't feel sick as much.  I think it's completely normal.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Don't underestimate the affects of the nausea. I was sick for about 3 weeks and subsisted on saltines and pasta. Even though they are calorie- and carb-heavy foods, I still lost 5lbs. I was back to about normal last week and then got a stomach bug so I'm down too. Beats the alternative!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm 12 weeks and I haven't gained an ounce, I was actually down a pound between my first and second appointments.  I haven't been really nauseous either.  It's a good thing!  My doctor was very pleased.  Don't worry about it for a second.  Every pound you don't gain now is a pound you don't have to stress out about when you gain it later. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I lost 8 lbs and have only gained 2 back even though I've been feeling better, eating more, and throwing up less or not at all in the past 3 weeks.  I did the same with both my other pregnancies.  The doc never showed any concern (even told me that I lost but that was expected since I was sick).  I gained 40 with my DD and 30 with my DS.  You'll start gaining soon, don't worry!
    imageimageimage
  • At my eight week appt I only gained 1 lb.  Doctors dont want me gaining any in first trimester due to diabetes.  We saw see when I go back on monday if I gained.  I am seeing a small bump but it feels like bloat or fat we shall see.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"