January 2012 Moms

Mattel - Tattoo Barbie

I'm actually pretty surprised about this, but I can't say anything because I have 2 tattoos myself (hello pot, this is kettle).  They are not in a place were my children will see them, but in the end I do have them. 

I'm not really sure how I feel about this, though.  They say it is for the adult collector. 

What do you think? 

https://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/25/8482103-barbies-got-a-tattoo-mom-do-you

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Mattel - Tattoo Barbie

• I think it's awesome!

I am not as inked as Barbie, but when my nieces see my tats, they just think they are pretty (they occasionally see the flowers I have on each ankle, the rest they don't see). It took my dad a while to see I'm not different, just decorated.

But the dog's name... not a fan.

• I don't think it's a big deal. I probably wouldn't buy one for my DD but both my kids have fake tattoos on all the time. They think they are fun and they enjoy picking them out. I don't have any tats and neither does DH. Many people do though and the kids see them.
    Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • Loading the player...
  • it's a part of society to tattoo yourself now a days.... many people in professional and non-professional settings have them.  

i HATE the stereotype that because someone has tattoos they're a punk or whatnot... some of the most successful people i know have tattoos and they're SUPER intellegent with great jobs.

i myself have 2, and am planning out my third and fourth (after LO comes).  

i think this barbie looks awesome... would i buy it for my daughter (if i had one)... maybe when she was older to have as a collectible (it's not a regular toy barbie, it's a collectible one).  

i don't think it should be sheltered from kids... i'm pretty sure all kids have seen someone with a tattoo in a visible spot at some point in their lives (the beach, at the park, etc)...

like i said it's part of society these days so you can't really hide them. 

BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • haha! I actually like it! Like PP said, I probably wouldn't buy one for my daughter (if I had one) but hey it's not half as bad as the thousands of dolls, clothes, magazines ect...that promote sluttiness in little girls!

I might give the side eye if they come out with Barbie holding a beer and cigarette in her hands though! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We took DS(4) to the water park this summer. Half the fun of waiting in line is looking at all the neat tattoos. I'd much rather have this doll than a Bratz or something of the like.
    Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • imagejason&robin:
    We took DS(4) to the water park this summer. Half the fun of waiting in line is looking at all the neat tattoos. I'd much rather have this doll than a Bratz or something of the like.

I totally agree...  I hate the bratz dolls... they look trashy to me... but again... just my opinion... some people may like that.   

• imageMrsKujawski:

imagejason&robin:
    We took DS(4) to the water park this summer. Half the fun of waiting in line is looking at all the neat tattoos. I'd much rather have this doll than a Bratz or something of the like.

I totally agree...  I hate the bratz dolls... they look trashy to me... but again... just my opinion... some people may like that.   

Oh - I hate those stupid bratz dolls! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Doesn't really bother me too much. My DH got tattoos last year and I think they're hot :) Done tastefully (i.e.: not all over their face), I have no problem with them.

Not to say I'd run out buy one of these proactively, but I would have no issue if our daughter got one or wanted one. 

DD 1.18.2012
  • I don?t get people issue with this doll.  If you don?t like it for your kid don?t get it.  There a far worse things out there (agreeing to the bratz thing).

Plus if kids emulated everything Barbie did we would have a lot more beauty queen, veterinarian, pop stars, brides out there.

• i have more of a problem with the fact that barbie is so dis-proportionally made that little girls are striving to have bodies like hers... 

• I think it was on Attack of the Show I first saw this doll and I'm actually much more creeped out that this Barbie was designed to sell to creepy adult men collectors than kids!
    After TTC with IR PCOS:
    April 2011: Metformin 1500mg + Clomid 100mg + Ovidrel + Prometrium = BFP!
    Beta #1 at 14DPO: 197 Beta #2 at 18DPO: 1296
    At 40w6d, our Team Green surprise came by unplanned C-section and changed our lives forever!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsKujawski:

i have more of a problem with the fact that barbie is so dis-proportionally made that little girls are striving to have bodies like hers... 

If only they knew the real life proportions they would not want to look like her!

https://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42595605/ns/today-today_people/t/life-size-barbie-gets-real-women-talking/

• imagefiregirle1:
    imageMrsKujawski:

i have more of a problem with the fact that barbie is so dis-proportionally made that little girls are striving to have bodies like hers... 

If only they knew the real life proportions they would not want to look like her!

https://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42595605/ns/today-today_people/t/life-size-barbie-gets-real-women-talking/

EWW!  Wow... ok that was scary.... roflmao... thank you for sharing that! 

• I think it's kind of cute and interesting and don't have a problem with it.  Real people - moms and dads - have tattoos.  Often less pretty ones than Ms. Barbie Wink  I probably wouldn't get one for my hypothetical daughter not out of moral outrage but because 50 bucks is a bit steep for a Barbie, IMO.  If she saved up her allowance to get one though, I'd let her get it if she really wanted it.

That said, I think the "adult collectible" argument is silly.  Try telling a little girl who already has Barbies "oh, you can't have that one because its for grown ups".  She'll look at you like you're crazy.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If I had girls, I would not buy this doll.  

I can't really explain in words how I feel about it.  In general, I don't have a problem with people that get tattoos.   Grrr...I can't explain my feelings.   lol

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Sure, as a kid I would have preferred to draw my own tattoos on barbie instead of buy a tattooed one, but I don't see a problem with it (I have a couple)
  • imageJessiree:
    I think it was on Attack of the Show I first saw this doll and I'm actually much more creeped out that this Barbie was designed to sell to creepy adult men collectors than kids!

THIS!

I dont have a problem with it. I personally don't have any tats.

I actually got my oldest DD (she is 11) a Harley-Davidson Barbie that has a tattoo. She collects all things Harley and I think it would be difficult to collect such things and avoid tats Stick out tongue

• imagekle0113:
    imageMrsKujawski:

imagejason&robin:

Oh - I hate those stupid bratz dolls! 

Bratz are SO TRASHY! I refuse to buy them as a gift for anyone, and my daughter (if I have one) will never get one.

I think this Barbie is great! I don't understand why the dog was named like it was, I think it makes them look like they are trying to hard to be bad@$$. 

• I have no problem with Barbie having tattoos. I think most people put those temporary tattoos on their kids at one point or another and kids see adults with tattoos all the time. It's not like they are being exposed to something they don't see anyway. If you don't want your kid to have a Barbie with tattoos, don't buy them the stupid doll. 

I can't even believe (according to the article) someone commented that Barbie is for kids and therefore shouldn't even be dressed like an adult or teenager. Barbie is clearly an adult and there is even a teenager Barbie (hellooooo, Skipper) she has breasts and a boyfriend and a car and a house with a sweet hot tub. Are these things that children have? No. So should Barbie not have them as well? Clearly, this doll is meant to be a collectors item, anyway. It's a stupid thing to even care about.

• I don't get the controversy either.  Lots of adults have tattoos these days and kids will see them. No biggie.

I agree with Barbie being way better than the Bratz dolls. I think they're hideous.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD, the love of my life, born January 26, 2012

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • It's not a big deal to me.  I have a couple of tattoos with one of them being on my wrist like a bracelet.  My DD loves my tattoos but knows that they are a choice that grown ups make.
  • when i first clicked on that, I  was all ready to say how appalling it was but then I actually saw the doll.  It is very very clearly one of those very expensive barbie dolls meant to be kept in a box.  It has a custom face design, custom make up, custom hair, etc.  It is not a standard doll with interchangeable clothes or whatever like the cheaper kid friendly dolls are.  Many people do collect Barbies and spend up to fifty dollars on one doll. It's fine for them to cater to the adult collector and I don't see an issue with it.  If they come out with a toy that has different tattoos that you can stick on various body parts though.... I'd have an issue with that.  
  • Doesn't bother me in the least and if my child wanted it I would happily let them have it.

I don't particulary like the name "Bastardo" for her dog though... Really, we couldn't just call him "Butch" or better yet, call him "Sprinkles" so that we aren't sterotyping that everyone who has tatoos is all tough... 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageTracilaroo:

I can't even believe (according to the article) someone commented that Barbie is for kids and therefore shouldn't even be dressed like an adult or teenager. Barbie is clearly an adult and there is even a teenager Barbie (hellooooo, Skipper) she has breasts and a boyfriend and a car and a house with a sweet hot tub. Are these things that children have? No. So should Barbie not have them as well? Clearly, this doll is meant to be a collectors item, anyway. It's a stupid thing to even care about.

Yes This exactly. If they made Kelly dolls with tattoos I could understand being upset, but Barbie is an adult.

• I love this barbie. I wouldn't buy it for a kid being that its around $50 lol. I played with the old barbies(huge boobs, tiny feet) for yrs as a child and never once looked at them and wished my body looked like, that so I've never understood the body image argument.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"