December 2011 Moms

WTF --Denied life insurance?!

I am so pissed!  We applied for life insurance and I just got a letter saying I was DENIED!  I'm 33, active, and my only issue I've had is high blood pressure (hereditary, and completely controled)

It doesn't give me a reason why (though I plan to write a letter asking).  I"m just so pissed and going to be really frustrated if it's b/c of the gestational diabetes and weight gain.  I asked my agent about this (if I should wait until after I am pregnant and back to "normal"), and he said they would take my pregnancy into consideration.  I've already emailed him about this.

WTF?!  I am so pissed I want to screeeeeeeaaaaaam!

pregnancy Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: WTF --Denied life insurance?!

• That sucks! We just found out dh's rate would be higher because of the family history of his father. The kicker is we're not even sure if the man listed on his birth certificate is his real father. According to his mother, there are possibilities. So we're paying extra for a family history that may not even be his.
  • That sucks.  They didn't even offer me a higher rate... that's the weird part!  I was just flat out denied!
  • Loading the player...
  • That is odd.  Your agent should have told you that weight would have a major part in the underwriting and that you should wait until after delivery for the best rate.

The underwriting department legally has to send you a copy of your detailed medical results if there was a required exam, along with a more detailed explanation of the denial but you do have to request it.

What company was it with?

• That's frustrating hearing that he should have said that. It was for national life insurance.... Life insurance group of the southwest. I think it's a pretty big one. Il wait to apply again post pregnancy.. Maybe wait a year. I have requested my report as well. Do you know if I will be able to apply to other places later? Will this affect my coverage? I know that there's no way I'm uninsurable.
  • imagealkinney:
    That's frustrating hearing that he should have said that. It was for national life insurance.... Life insurance group of the southwest. I think it's a pretty big one. Il wait to apply again post pregnancy.. Maybe wait a year. I have requested my report as well. Do you know if I will be able to apply to other places later? Will this affect my coverage? I know that there's no way I'm uninsurable.

***Stopping in from January 2012....***

Does your agent only represent one life insurance company?  If so, find an independent agent. When we applied for life insurance our agent got us quotes from multiple companies. I'm probably just paranoid, but I would want life insurance right away. You never know what can happen in life.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ok, just found out that it's bc if the gestational diabetes. I have to wait 90 days until after birth and then retest. Should be good to go from there.... To answer PP, he does rep many lines, so if this doesn't work we can tryother companies.
  • Hey chica, we just switched to Farm Bureau Insurance (for auto and home) and are getting amazing rates. DH just applied for life insurance through them. Let me know if you want our agents name, the process was fairly easy they came to our house to do the life insurance exam this weekend. Of course, we haven't heard back yet, but he is also healthy so hopefully he passes....
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yeah the GD makes sense.  I'm sorry he didn't warn you not to apply.  When you go to apply 90 days after delivery, one of the underwriting questions will be "have you ever been declined for coverage"  this may affect your status, but if your agent is good they will call the underwriting department and get an exception before you apply for any of the other companies.  Make sure you tell them that up front so they can do that for you, otherwise it will come out in there underwriting history reports and it will not look good.

Sounds like someone has a good referral for you.  I would get a new agent.

• image2gr8pits:
    Hey chica, we just switched to Farm Bureau Insurance (for auto and home) and are getting amazing rates. DH just applied for life insurance through them. Let me know if you want our agents name, the process was fairly easy they came to our house to do the life insurance exam this weekend. Of course, we haven't heard back yet, but he is also healthy so hopefully he passes....

Hey, I"ll let you know if I need it.  I'm sure my husband got approved (no denial letter for him, and he's super healthy), so he should be good.  My agent said that I just get retested in 90 days post birth and then it should be good from there.  HOWEVER, if I have any complications, I'll email you and get that info!  Gracias!!

• imageMexiMama55:

Yeah the GD makes sense.  I'm sorry he didn't warn you not to apply.  When you go to apply 90 days after delivery, one of the underwriting questions will be "have you ever been declined for coverage"  this may affect your status, but if your agent is good they will call the underwriting department and get an exception before you apply for any of the other companies.  Make sure you tell them that up front so they can do that for you, otherwise it will come out in there underwriting history reports and it will not look good.

Sounds like someone has a good referral for you.  I would get a new agent.

Thanks for this tip!  The agent made it sound like I almost wouldn't be re-applying completely for this policy... I would just get tested at 90 days and they would resubmit.  However, I will be telling him what you said about calling ahead of time.  We really liked our agent, and he works for our accountant's firm (who we LOVE), so hopefully he won't blow it!  You've been super helpful. Thanks so much!  And, it's good to know that we have another local referral if we need it.  :)

• That makes sense. My agent warned me the pregnancy would not affect the rate but if that I turned high risk before the application was processed it would be denied as no one seems to insure high risk pregnant women. They let me use my prepregnancy weight and everything which allowed me to get a preferred rate whereas my pregnant weight would have made me overweight for my size.
  • I am not a frequent poster over here but I do work for an agent.  Diabetes is almost always an automatic decline.  You also get penalized for being pregnant.  Both of these things should have been discussed with you prior to you applying.  Your best bet is to wait until you have delivered and have retested for diabetes before you apply.
    DS Born 12/21/11 #2 EDD 4/7/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"