February 2012 Moms

Heartburn

I'm 24 weeks and my heartburn is getting worse and worse everyday. It's constantly like a lump in my throat and like I'm going to get sick. Is there any way to help it? I don't eat that many spicy foods and I am drinking plenty of water all day. Nothing is helping.

Re: Heartburn

• Water actually makes mine worse.  Tums and Maalox are safe.

Also, call your OB and see what they suggest.  Mine okayed Zantac 75.  I eventually had to move up to 150 last time and expect this time to be the same at the rate I'm going now.

the boymom is expecting a girl!
    big brothers 12.2009 and 02.2012
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I hate Tums and other stuff like that, and I am nervous about meds anyways.  I just use mints.  I don't like chewing gum so much, but the pep-o-mint and wint-o-green lifesavers are awesome.  Hope you feel better soon!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Milk seems to help! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I chew a papaya enzyme tablet or two.  Even pre pregnancy this is what worked for me. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLetsBake:
    Milk seems to help! :)

It does seem to when drinking it but, it actually makes it worse in the long run.  Sorry!

the boymom is expecting a girl!
    big brothers 12.2009 and 02.2012
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Lie down, bolt up, repeat 50 times every night..... Bla.... I ended up drinking some milk last night... it helped a little bit. I'm not a huge fan of pills so I'm steering clear of that.

Sorry, I know I'm not much help I just wanted to let you know I feel your pain! I've never had heartburn before I got pregnant and it royally sucks.... :-/

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • I almost never take medicine, but Tums have saved my life.  I keep them in my purse!

I also tend to drink a LOT of milk.  The barista in the coffee shop in my office building cracks up because I'll come in and pour milk for myself from the creamer carafe if I'm having a particularly bad day and need a milk fix.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • I have a prescription for an antacid from my OB, an I still don't think it helps that much. :( I try to stay away from things that trigger it, including tomatoes (salsa, spaghetti sauce, the like), onions, garlic, etc. Try to google a list - that is what I did. I wasn't happy w/ it b/c I love ravioli right now and I saw that tomatos make it worse. Sometimes I'll still do it b/c I NEED it. :)

But in general, everything is still the same. Nothing's helped to a great deal ..

DD1 January, 2009
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I will definitely have to try some of these. Never had heartburn before either, and I have to say I'm not a huge fan. Haha.
  • lots of good suggestions, but just a note: Tums are not a pill/ medication. They are calcium/magnesium mineral tablets. (like your prenatal has in them)  Totally safe, totally fine, better than a glass of milk and they work great unless it's super severe. this pregnancy I have also found that yogourt helps more than milk, or those yop yogourt drinks. Calcium is what is generally recommended to help with heartburn.. however you get it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"