1st Trimester

First appointment 11/10!

According to the paperwork, I should be prepared to be in the appointment for 2 hours. It includes a complete physical exam, review of medical history, pelvic exam, pap smear, blood work and cultures.  I am also having a transvaginal pelvic ultrasound. 

My question about the transvaginal pelvic ultrasound...is that the same thing as a tummy ultrasound only they are doing it on the inside?  Are they looking for a heartbeat, or checking other things out, and I will be scheduled for a regular ultrasound at a later date?  I guess I had never heard of a transvaginal pelvic ultrasound until now. 

My apologies if that is a stupid question.  It's my first pregnancy.  I don't know these things!

I'm very anxious and want to go now! haha

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Re: First appointment 11/10!

• The wand goes inside of you...tons of fun! From what I remember they can see "more" with it...

They probably are checking to make sure everything is in place and they see a heartbeat...

• Nope.. not on the tummy.. they go inside your vag for a transvaginal!  Get prepared lol.  It's not painful, though so don't worry!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • You should have seen my husband's face when I said the words "transvaginal pelvic ultrasound". haha

• My first appt was about 2 hours, but a lot of it was spent sitting in the waiting room between each of the different "stations" (blood work, urine sample, U/S, etc) I had to go to. Luckily, I was able to forego the pap smear since I just had one done in May. They took A LOT of blood (about 8 large vials) and a lot of pee. The pelvic ultrasound isn't too bad, but I have PCOS and I'm pretty used to them looking at my cysts. Since the baby is still sitting low in your hips and so small, they are able to see a lot more with the pelvic ultrasound. They will be looking for the heartbeat, yolk sack, etc. They will also measure how far along you are by the size of the embryo/sack. It's the same concept as the tummy one except they go inside you. 

Good luck! It's pretty exciting to see the heartbeat. We were also able to hear our LOs heartbeat and that was even cooler...hopefully you get the same opportunity.

Photobucket
  • I just had mine!  It's weird...it's a big phallic thing (they even put a condom on it) that goes up inside you.  It just felt like a normal pelvic exam to me.  They located the fetus, made sure the heart was beating, that it was in the uterus and not the fallopian tubes, checked out my ovaries and made sure the yolk sack was growing too.  I got to hear the heartbeat!!!  So cool.

Good luck, and don't worry.  I've been having really bad cramping for a few weeks, and it sounds like everything is ok.  I was panicking so much that it was an ectopic pregnancy, but Dr. said all is well.

Hang in there!! :o)

• Hmm, I just had a pap done at my yearly in September.

It's kind of funny, because I told my Dr. we were starting to think about having a baby, and not even 3 weeks after my appt., I called her to say...hiiiiiiiiii, I'm pregnant and need to make an appointment. lol  Guess we started thinking about it before we started thinking about it. haha

Ooh I'm so excited!!!! :)

Thanks everyone!

• GL, that sounds like a very inclusive first appointment!

The transvaginal u/s is the same concept as a tummy one, except its, ya know, trans vaginal. They'll check your ovaries and uterus and measure how far along the baby is, and see/hear the heartbeat.

The only difference you need to be aware of is that a transvaginal u/s requires an empty bladder, not a full one.

GL.

and i thought i loved you then <3<a href="http://daisypath.com/">Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Missed Miscarriage discovered at 9w6d
    D&E 10.27.2011
    I'll love you forever Baby Speck Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A tube with a condom on it?  Oh brother...I'm going to laugh like a 12 year old, I just know it. hahaha  Embarrassed
  •  I remember when I went to get my first sonogram with DD, I had never heard of internal ones and when I walked into the sonogram room I saw the GYN table set up and the big wand and the technician told me to undress from the waist down...I think my eyes got the size of silver dollars thinking OMG are you serious.

It is really no big deal. I don't know about the rest of you ladies, but when I had it done the technician let me put the wand in...so it wasn't "as" bad. Just a little awkward at first...but really no big deal. You will be too busy watching the screen to notice what is going on down below.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I just hope my husband doesn't get all weirded out. haha

Yes, obviously he's seen everything.  I guess it's a lot to take in while lying in a chair with my legs spread open in sock covered stirrups. Indifferent

• For mine, they ran out of the condoms and used a rubber glove. So it had all of these extra fingers just flapping around. It was pretty amusing.
    Photobucket
  • HAHAHAHA!  I just laughed out loud at my desk.  Big Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"