1st Trimester

No Job = No $$

so, at the start of september i lost my job... due to full day kindergarten the numbers in my pre-school room dropped dramatically (thank you mr.premier!).. i have been on this hunt for a job for over a month now and it seems like there are no jobs out there... and i need to make at least 600 hours before i can get mat leave in june.... has anyone been in this spot before and how the heck did you cope?? 

Re: No Job = No $$

• 600 hours isn't that much, about 4 months of full time employment. 

A friend of mine changed jobs to work at Starbucks before her mat leave even though it was a slight pay decrease.  She got the hours she needed and apparently they have an awesome benefits package.

Take a couple part time jobs if you can, and if you go into serving, make sure you claim your tips as income as that will affect your mat pay.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageJulzCalabro:

so, at the start of september i lost my job... due to full day kindergarten the numbers in my pre-school room dropped dramatically (thank you mr.premier!).. i have been on this hunt for a job for over a month now and it seems like there are no jobs out there... and i need to make at least 600 hours before i can get mat leave in june.... has anyone been in this spot before and how the heck did you cope?? 

Ugh. As a parent, I love the idea of all day kindergarten because there are no daycares near my house, so now I won't have to worry what to do with my DD on the off days.....but I didn't realize this is what would happen to the teachers. I thought there would be an increase (because now instead of every other day, you have both classes running all day every day). I just assumed this would double the class sizes, which would result in more classes and more teachers.

I second what the PP said about any job. Food jobs sucks, and retail won't be easy for being on your feet,  but it's coming up on Christmas time and I bet you can find a good job. And a few months of crappy work in order to have the year off would be worth it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh, and if you're not collecting EI now, you may still be eligible for mat leave benefits. Maybe try supply teaching as much as possible? And supplement with a retail job (lots of places hiring for Christmas rush).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm a part time teacher and with the baby on the way I try to sub on the off times I have. Is substitute teaching an option?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"