Baby Names

Girl Name Dilemma

DH and I are stuck between two girl names that we like:

Maggie Grace - A name we've had picked out since before we even really thought about making babies.  It's two names of his Grandmother's two sisters.  We would just call her Maggie, and there would be no Margaret involved.

Brooke Allen - We just liked Brooke, and Allen was my Dad's name who passed in 1999.  We would call her Brooke Allen.

Thoughts?

Photobucket BabyName Ticker

Re: Girl Name Dilemma

• Maggie, I really like the name and I loathe Brooke.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love Maggie.  I'm not sure if I'd consider it a stand alone name, there are other options besides Margaret thought.  Also not sure about all the hard G sound going on with the whole name, but it's not that big of a deal because you're not going to call her Maggie Grace all the time.

Brooke is ok but I really dislike Allen on a girl, especially as a double name.  What about feminine forms such as Allyn (say A-lynn) or Alanna?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I love the name Brooke. I don't think that Maggie makes a good stand-alone name.

I don't mind Allen either as it is a family name. My middle name is a family surname that doesn't sound particularly feminine.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Maggie Grace is really cute but I'm not sure about Maggie as a stand-alone name.  It seems too cutesy.

Brooke Allen is NMS.  I like Brooke and I like using Allen after your dad but it's not a very feminine name, IMO.  I know a male Brook and Brooks is used for boys as well.  If I were you I'd pair BRooke with something more feminine.....Alanna, Elena...that sounds similar to Allen.

* DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • Out of the two I would definitely go with Maggie Grace. Very cute.

Brooke Allen sounds like a first and last name. If I heard that in the grocery store I would think you were calling your daughter by her first and LAST name. I guaranty you will get weird looks from those who do not know Allen is her middle name.

It also sounds like it should be the name of a shoe company or something of that sort. 

Please don't go with this one.

Lost Lilah (Audra's twin) at 26 weeks. Cause unknown. Forever in our hearts
  • imagejgengo0:
    If I heard that in the grocery store I would think you were calling your daughter by her first and LAST name. I guaranty you will get weird looks from those who do not know Allen is her middle name.

I have never in my life been called by my first and middle name in a grocery store or anywhere else.

• I really like both options, actually.

I think Maggie is cute, and can totally grow up on its own (lots of people are going to insist you name her Margaret, Magnolia, Magdalene, etc.).

Brooke Allen is nice. I have a strange soft spot for Allen as a girls' name; I like it as a double name with Brooke because there's no confusing it for a boy. I also really like the connection to your late father.

VOTE on my Name List

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagesalt78:

imagejgengo0:
    If I heard that in the grocery store I would think you were calling your daughter by her first and LAST name. I guaranty you will get weird looks from those who do not know Allen is her middle name.

I have never in my life been called by my first and middle name in a grocery store or anywhere else.

On this note, that is why I hate my middle name - because my mom used to call me by my first and middle name when I got in trouble.  I dropped it completely when I got married.

And I'm not a fan of using a "feminine" version of Allen.  It's my Dad's name, so I would like to keep it the original.

• imagealliejo725:

I really like both options, actually.

I think Maggie is cute, and can totally grow up on its own (lots of people are going to insist you name her Margaret, Magnolia, Magdalene, etc.).

Brooke Allen is nice. I have a strange soft spot for Allen as a girls' name; I like it as a double name with Brooke because there's no confusing it for a boy. I also really like the connection to your late father.

I am NOT naming my child Magnolia.  DH's family is from Mississippi.  That's the state flower.  No thanks.

• Definitely Maggie. I don't like Brooke and Brooke Allen doesn't sound good together, IMO

• imagejgengo0:

Brooke Allen sounds like a first and last name. If I heard that in the grocery store I would think you were calling your daughter by her first and LAST name. I guaranty you will get weird looks from those who do not know Allen is her middle name.

Ummm....so what?

I'm sure (in fact, I know) when I'm called by my first name out in public, people probably assume it's a nickname for Allison or Alice. Oh, the horror of random strangers not knowing the exact name on my birth certificate!

VOTE on my Name List

Pregnancy Ticker

• I strongly dislike Brooke, so I vote Maggie Grace.  I prefer a formal name for Maggie though - maybe Magdalene or Magdalena?

Also, Maggie Grace is an actress, not that that really matters much:

• imagekmt1986:
    imagesalt78:

imagejgengo0:

On this note, that is why I hate my middle name - because my mom used to call me by my first and middle name when I got in trouble.  I dropped it completely when I got married.

And I'm not a fan of using a "feminine" version of Allen.  It's my Dad's name, so I would like to keep it the original.

You said you are planing on calling her Brooke Allen. I am guessing you are going to use her name in stores...i.e a grocery store. 

I am saying customers in the grocery store ( it's just an example) with think Brooke Allen is her first and last name. I'm just saying people will constantly think you are referring to her by her first and last name.  

You wanted opinions and I am giving mine. As for the who cares if strangers know comment, if you don't care then by all means go for it. IMO I wouldn't want people to think I am weird for constantly using my daughters first and last name ( what it sounds like) Guess I am overly concerned with what others think! Surprise

Lost Lilah (Audra's twin) at 26 weeks. Cause unknown. Forever in our hearts
  • imagefitzpemberley:

I strongly dislike Brooke, so I vote Maggie Grace.  I prefer a formal name for Maggie though - maybe Magdalene or Magdalena?

Also, Maggie Grace is an actress, not that that really matters much:

At least she's really pretty!!!!!

But I don't like Magdalena.  I would feel like we need to have Spanish origin to have that name.  We're very much Irish American and this child will most likely have red hair.

• imagesalt78:

imagejgengo0:

did you never get in trouble?

that was always the worst thing to hear when i was a kid, my dad shouting "(first name-middle name)!" for me or my brothers. he didn't even have to say anything else, you just went a-runnin'. 

as for the name, Maggie seems a very informal and little-girl to me. maybe name her Magdalene, or Margot and just call her Maggie. then when she's older she has an option.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I like them both..  I prefer Brooke but think if you are planning on calling her both names I'd be afraid people will just hear Brooklyn- not Brooke Allen.  
  • What's the dilemma? 

I like Brooke Allen 

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • imagehey_little_bird:
    imagesalt78:

imagejgengo0:

did you never get in trouble?

that was always the worst thing to hear when i was a kid, my dad shouting "(first name-middle name)!" for me or my brothers. he didn't even have to say anything else, you just went a-runnin'. 

as for the name, Maggie seems a very informal and little-girl to me. maybe name her Magdalene, or Margot and just call her Maggie. then when she's older she has an option.

Haha no I definitely got in trouble. My mom just never combined my first and middle names when she yelled at me. :)

• My vote is for Maggie Grace. Every Maggie I have known has been a great person, Brooke on the other hand, not so much. That's just my personal association with the names though :-)
  • Brooke Allen is so classic and lovely.

Maggie Grace is cute, but Maggie is just seems way too cutsey for a woman.

• Brooklyn Grace 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know a Margeaux who goes by Maggie, as another alternative...
  • I like Brooke Allen :) A great tribute to your father & a good strong name!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image   and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I prefer Maggie Grace, but it definitely makes me think of the actress.

And FTR, the comment about not being able to use Magdalena because of not being Spanish strikes me as a very odd comment.  The name isn't necessarily of Spanish origin, but finds roots in most European countries.  Including Magdalene in England.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"