Parenting

Whole house makeover, ideas welcome

So in the next few months, our house will either be short sold or foreclosed.  I don't really care which, because we will be renting from my FIL, who is getting married and moving out of his current house.

His house is kinda old, and needs some making over.  We don't have a lot of money, but I think we will be able to paint at least.   Knowing this is coming up, my brain is going crazy wondering how to update/improve the house.

I need:  a whole house paint color, a bathroom paint color, and a little girl's room color.  The master bedroom is already a pretty green, so that's fine.

Our furniture is a grey-ish green, and black and dark woods.

What would you do if you could start over like this?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Whole house makeover, ideas welcome

• You don't care about a foreclosure or short sale? Um okay
  • imageAndrewsgal:
    You don't care about a foreclosure or short sale? Um okay

No, I DO care.  Here's the deal - we've been behind on payments for a while, which is why we're attempting a short sale (we could never refinance for a lower payment with the current market value of the house and our current credit status).  So it's been for sale since July, and no takers.  My FIL wants us to rent from him, and eventually have the house put into our name, when we can.  Basically, foreclosure is so terrible because it wrecks your credit, but we don't plan on applying for any credit cards or home loans for at least 7-10 years.   I "don't care" because in our current situation, I just really want to be out of this house and on with our lives.

• Loading the player...
  • imagecjcouple:

It depends on what you like? I prefer soft greens and browns. To be safe about ti a nice almond is a good color to have all over

I like almost everything.  I like the idea of a bright, wacky color just the same as a beautiful, classic color. 
    I'm curious what other mommas would do.

• imagemrsekins:

imageAndrewsgal:

No, I DO care.  Here's the deal - we've been behind on payments for a while, which is why we're attempting a short sale (we could never refinance for a lower payment with the current market value of the house and our current credit status).  So it's been for sale since July, and no takers.  My FIL wants us to rent from him, and eventually have the house put into our name, when we can.  Basically, foreclosure is so terrible because it wrecks your credit, but we don't plan on applying for any credit cards or home loans for at least 7-10 years.   I "don't care" because in our current situation, I just really want to be out of this house and on with our lives.

You do also realize that the bank will come back on you with a foreclosure to recoup any loses after they do resell the house.
  • imageAndrewsgal:

That's the same thing that caught me up in responding...

• imageAndrewsgal:
    imagemrsekins:

imageAndrewsgal:

You do also realize that the bank will come back on you with a foreclosure to recoup any loses after they do resell the house.

I know... there are crap loads of repercussions, but really I'm just sitting here stagnant... I want something to happen, good or bad... so I can deal with it.  It's waiting for the house to sell or the hammer to drop from the bank that's really getting old.  I'm not totally disconnected with my situation, but there's nothing concrete that we can do right now.

• I know this will come out way snarky but what about getting a job, going back to work and catching up on payments? I only say this because I also see you on the SAHM board.
  • imageAndrewsgal:
    I know this will come out way snarky but what about getting a job, going back to work and catching up on payments? I only say this because I also see you on the SAHM board.

I feel this guilt daily, believe me.  But DH wants me home.  If I had a job, I could really only make enough money to pay for daycare, which we don't want anyway.  And our only option for a babysitter is my mom, who already has 2 grandkids living with her, and tends a 3rd a few times a week.  Also we only have one car.

As soon as things settle down house-wise, etc.  I will be starting an online business.  I have a BIL who is very successful and has helped his brothers start businesses, and has offered to help us.  But I haven't started yet because I don't want to have to deal with internet service interruption, change of address, etc.  Eventually, I will be working from home and ideally, DH will also work from home in the future

• Do you know how many people are looking to get rich by a magical internet business?

Is there a way for you to work nights/weekends so your husband can watch your child? 

• and wait - you are TTC?

**leaving post** 

• imageZenya:

Do you know how many people are looking to get rich by a magical internet business?

Is there a way for you to work nights/weekends so your husband can watch your child? 

I know - it sounds like a pipe dream to me, too, sometimes.  But I really do trust my BIL, he's pursued an online business (retail) and has had 10 years to make mistakes and figure it out.  Right now, they are getting ready to sell their first business ("hmmm, should we sell for 10 million to this guy, or 14 million to that guy").

Also, I recently found a gas station hiring nights and weekends, and DH said not to take it - he honestly makes enough money, we've just gotten in a mess with the bank, on top of the fact that we've outgrown our house and want to sell it anyway (it will have to be a short sell).

• Wait let me make sure I got this: your husband makes enough but you don't pay your mortgage, you found a job that would require no childcare so you could pay said mortgage but your husband and you would rather default on a debt you owe so you can get into a bigger house? Did I get that right? This kind of stuff boils my blood as your crappy morals and ethics do effect me and my housing values.
  • imageAndrewsgal:
    Wait let me make sure I got this: your husband makes enough but you don't pay your mortgage, you found a job that would require no childcare so you could pay said mortgage but your husband and you would rather default on a debt you owe so you can get into a bigger house? Did I get that right? This kind of stuff boils my blood as your crappy morals and ethics do effect me and my housing values.

Beercheers to this.

• imageAndrewsgal:
    Wait let me make sure I got this: your husband makes enough but you don't pay your mortgage, you found a job that would require no childcare so you could pay said mortgage but your husband and you would rather default on a debt you owe so you can get into a bigger house? Did I get that right? This kind of stuff boils my blood as your crappy morals and ethics do effect me and my housing values.

absofuckinglutely.

What does 'a mess with the bank' mean?  Because you umm.  stopped paying your mortgage?  Even though you now say you could afford it? 

• Want my whole story?  Really?

06: got married.

07:  bought a house, fixed it up royally with the intention of selling it in a few years for a nice down payment on a bigger house (so we can have room for kids).  

08: housing market goes to crap. Our house is now worth $40,000 less than what we owe.  Also, I spend 4 days in ICU - nearly died from Type I diabetes I didn't know I had.  Also, also, I find out I am pregnant.

09: baby girl is born.  We now have bills from my hospital stay - ICU and baby delivery.  Also, DH loses his job and insurance.  Nevermind that without insurance, diabetes prescriptions cost about $400 a month. Also, our house payment goes up as we got horrible terms on our loan, and our rate changed.

10:  DH has a job for now.  But because of the inflated mortgage payment and paying cash for prescriptions, and other house-fixing-up debt we have gotten behind on the mortgage.  One or two months go by, where we forgo paying the mortgage to keep out of collections on other debt.  Obviously, not a great choice in hindsight.

11:  After losing his job again, we have a couple more months with no income.  (Please don't assume DH is a deadbeat.  He works harder than any man I've ever known.  Economic conditions for the companies he worked for led to layoffs he could not avoid.) We are now several months behind on the mortgage and BofA starts sending us info on short sales.  They also send a statement saying they will accept no payment other than the full amount owed.  We discuss it.  We pray about it.  We decide that we've already outgrown our home, really, and since we are also TTC, we decide that we would rather sell the house and move into something else than save it.  House went up for sale on the 4th of July.  Absolutely no offers.

My family comes first.  IMO, my credit score and debt have nothing at all to do with my husband and children (both my DD and future children.)  Of course, we want the best possible outcome for our house situation.  I have made a choice to not get hung up on money I owe to this company or that company or the legal issues that come along with it.  They are important, but they are not the most important.   I love my family, I will continue to grow my family.  We have a home to move into after this one.  My husband is extremely talented at what he does, and is currently working for a stable, growing company.  I believe we will be just fine - even great.  Our priorities are in order.

Nothing else matters.Smile

• My sympathies for what you have gone through, but please hit the brakes on TTC.  That seems stupid on top of irresponsible.

ETA: You of all people should be able to appreciate that you cannot predict what the future holds.  You feel (inexplicably) like things are getting in order now (somehow...?), yet based on your past, you should see that things you are counting on right now to be true may change, quickly.  Do not bring another child into the mix.

And, rather than worry over paint colors, you should add a new word to your vocabulary: SAVINGS: defined by the dictionary as sums of money saved by economy (thrifty management; frugality in the expenditure or consumption of money, materials, etc., i.e., not putting all your money into fixing up houses the minute you move into them), and laid away.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • imager9stedt:

Yes

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • EMTEMT member

Life sucks sometimes, no doubt. It's the fact that you write a post about making over your new house (which obviously costs a lot of money and is not necessary) when your house is getting foreclosed upon!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"