Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Encourage Speech: Suggestions? ETA

So, just went to the pedi today, who told me that she still would like to see improvements in speech at his 30m appointment (2 months from now).  If not, they would like to send him to a speech therapist.

He says 2-3 word sentences as of right now:

Baba Peese (please)

Juice Peese

Bankie Peese

Whats dat?

Hi Mama

Hi Dada

Bye Bye

Lion King Peese

Bolt Peese

I love you!

Cookie Peese

A Clock Clock (Clock)

A Rock

(sorry maybe I wasn't clear in my writing in the post, its not 2-3 words period - its actually 2-3 word sentences, and the above are ones I've seen) 

DH and I will understand him 80% of the time (although the doc insists on putting down 70%).  

How would you encourage speech better? 

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Encourage Speech: Suggestions? ETA

• Options

He only says 2-3 words at over 2 years old?  Has the doc suggested early intervention at all?  Please don't get me wrong--this is one mom to another..... and every child is different but I know mine wasn't saying more than about 4-5 words at 2 yrs and they suggested EI.  He was evaluated and they said he was at a 12 month level.  He was in speech therapy since about 27 months old until he reached 3 yrs old when they drop you and turn you over to the school district.

He's been in a special program through the school since august and we're seeing drastic improvements but still a long road as now they think he has speech apraxia (which I had a gut feeling a long time ago--but no one every said anything).

So if I were you, I'd get your LO evaluated--it doesn't hurt and may not cost you much at all. 

Basically to encourage speech, we label everything....... and try to make him say it as much as possible.  Sounding things out.  For him, he does better when I get very excited about a word and almost yell it out for fun--like "wow, look at that BIG bus.....BIG"  and then he may try it.

Biggest thing--and it was hard for me--is to NOT talk for him if you don't have to.  Try to let him tell YOU something--even if it's not a real word, but just a sound.  Then you repeat the proper word.

• Options

Talk to him.  Narrate your day:  "I'm cooking dinner.  See?  I'm using this big, wooden spoon to stir, stir, stir!  Can you smell the soup?".......etc etc etc.

Also, sing.  I am almost constantly singing to my little girl.

Read like crazy.  Even if you sit and read out loud while he plays.  Hearing words in more or less proper grammar and arrangement in books will help him pick up on it.

Good Luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagesmiling76:

He only says 2-3 words at over 2 years old?  Has the doc suggested early intervention at all?  Please don't get me wrong--this is one mom to another..... and every child is different but I know mine wasn't saying more than about 4-5 words at 2 yrs and they suggested EI.  He was evaluated and they said he was at a 12 month level.  He was in speech therapy since about 27 months old until he reached 3 yrs old when they drop you and turn you over to the school district.

He's been in a special program through the school since august and we're seeing drastic improvements but still a long road as now they think he has speech apraxia (which I had a gut feeling a long time ago--but no one every said anything).

So if I were you, I'd get your LO evaluated--it doesn't hurt and may not cost you much at all. 

Basically to encourage speech, we label everything....... and try to make him say it as much as possible.  Sounding things out.  For him, he does better when I get very excited about a word and almost yell it out for fun--like "wow, look at that BIG bus.....BIG"  and then he may try it.

Biggest thing--and it was hard for me--is to NOT talk for him if you don't have to.  Try to let him tell YOU something--even if it's not a real word, but just a sound.  Then you repeat the proper word.

They are pretty casual about this decision of no intervention until the "review" at 30m.  I wasn't concerned, until I started reading that many say sentences at this age.

Maybe I should be looking into EI right now.  He isn't in preschool yet, and will not be until 10m from now where he will enter PreK3.

I've encouraged his speech at home by labeling everything, and making him repeat what I say prior to giving him the item.  I ask him to repeat things I say, and I even ask him what X is (pointing to X). 

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Talk about everything. Be a running commentary. Ask lots of questions. The grocery store is fun because there are lots of things to look at...pictures on the walls etc.

Sing songs

Play games and have them label things. Do puzzles and give them 2 pieces to choose from and have them name which one they want...cow or horse etc

read books and just point out all the objects on the page

Good luck to you. Even if he needs help, it's a great thing and you won't regret it. Both of my kids have been in speech therapy and it's been wonderful for them. DS is 4 now and you wouldn't know he ever had issues.

Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • Options

If you are thinking about getting him services I would call and  set up an EI evalution now or wait til he is  3 (I'm not sure from what you described he would quilify becuase they need to be significantly behind). Here is I would do now or wait.  Most places have about a 2 month wait to get evaluated, he will also need a hearing test (this is standard for all children requiring ST), then it takes about a month or so to get all the paper work done and actually start seeing a ST.  So if you start the process at 30 months he will be most like 33 -34 months before he starts seeing a ST.  At 3 years old they age out of the EI program and move over to the school system they have to be re-evaluated and if he qualifies he would get a new teacher and services, we are just starting that process now at 35 months. 

I'm not sure how it works with the school system and not being in EI before turning 3 but I'm assuming you would do all their testing not sure if you need a doctor referal or can self refer.  Where I live you can self refer for EI and I think for childfind (the school system program). 

If you don't know who to call you can call the school system (childfind here) and they will give you the number for the EI place.  It was 1 of the options on push button when I called so they must get those calls alll the time.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

• Options

I'm also in NJ and my son (26 months) has been in speech therapy through EI for 2 months now (he is only just combining words into 2 word phrases).  Just keep in mind that Early Intervention is only from birth to age 3 -- the ease of receiving services after 3 is not as easily attained. Not saying you can't get it but at that time they are transitioned into the public school system.

I think that if you and your pediatrician are truly concerned, I'd consider getting an evaluation.

That being said, my son's therapists (he gets DI too) feel that you should give opportunity to use words and not ask blanket what questions. If my son is reaching for something, I'll say "Oh! You want ___ (pause)" and wait for my son to fill in the word. He mostly does that. And when he does, ie. a car, I'll say "OK, here's the red car" and add a 2nd word. 

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options

The 2-3 word phrases you list are not what they mean by 2 and 3 word phrases.  The phrases you list all are 'single idea' phrases that take 2 words.  Something like "food hot" would be a good 2 word phrase.  It contains 2 separate ideas: the food and the condition of the food.

I'd get signed up for speech therapy right away.  There is no benefit to waiting.  YOU will learn a lot a speech therapy as well, ways to encourage words and word sounds, games to play, stuff like that.

• Options

Ditto everyone.  Self refer to EI.  Even if he's 28 mos now.  DS fell into an perfect series of events and I called on a Thursday, he was evaluated Monday, began services 2 weeks after his initial.  It doesn't always happen that way- but it can.  And to me it sounds like he's coming along and will be fine, but a little jump-start may catch him up quickly. In 4 months my son was silent except giggles or wails and he's doing very well.  At least trying to communicate. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"