Toddlers: 24 Months+

Whining = torture

DS has been whining about EVERYTHING lately.  It is driving me up the wall.  I try to stay patient or will tell him "you cannot have X if you don't stop whining".  Please tell me this will end soon.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Whining = torture

• I can't tell you if it will end soon....   But DD has started the whining thing, too.  I tell her that I can't understand what she's asking for when she talks like that.  Then I tell her that when she can talk nicely I will listen.
  • My DD is in this phase too.  What works best for us is "I cannot understand you when you whine."  She pulls it together and speaks like a human...but it took some time to get to this point, I can't lie.  GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • My son has a severe language delay ( Of which he is receiving EI for, once a week) and his whining can drive me nuts.  He doesn't know how to really express himself through words, so when he gets frustrated, he tends to throw himself down kicking and screaming.  I hope it gets better in time.
  • I found that trying to reason with a 2 to 2.5 year old was nearly impossible. But from 2.5 to now (she'll be 3 in December) things have gotten much easier. She "gets" now that there are consequences to her actions.

I guess just keep doing what you are doing, but hang in there. Whining is a form of communication, no matter how annoying, and I just think that until a certain age, they don't understand that there are other ways to communicate!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah, this phase lasts for YEARS.  It does get better though.  What I always did (and do for DS) is model how DD is asking for things in her whiney voice and how to ask for it in a normal voice and make her repeat her request in a normal voice.  I will say if she seems on the edge, I have modeled the good voice and then just helped her out provided there was the "please" in there.  I've heard of people giving kids a cup to go pour out their "whine" or not hearing whining voices.  I've done a bit of the latter with DD lately as she can recognize whining and how to change her tone so that works but that's only be in the last few months.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• I am there with you! Sometimes I think DH is going to lose it. And the volume is out of control...she can't ever whine quietly - it's so annoying!
  • Oh my. The wining drives me INSANE. DH is always trying to get me to relax and accept it as a stage, but seriously....it makes me cross eyed. I'm trying bard to have patience. Top top it all off I functioning on barely any sleep with my three week old newborn. The whining just splits my head!
  • ahhhhh YES my girls do this once ina while... drives me nuts!
    ~Liz~ "With your very first breath, you instantly took ours away..." Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"