3rd Trimester

pertussis shot.....

last week when i went to my weekly ob visit the nurse asked me if i wanted to get the pertussis shot. i declined because i had no education about it and just wasnt sure to get it or not. The nurse told me that they(dont know who they is) are recommending all pregnant women 28weeks and over to get the shot and also close relatives like father grandparents and aunts and uncles to get the shot also. Has anyone else been asked to get this shot and have they gotten it?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: pertussis shot.....

• I asked my doctor if it was recommended and she said very highly.  DH & I will be getting it along with our flu shots.  We requested that the grandparents get the flu shot, although they get it every year anyway. 
  • Got mine, but it was before I was pregnant.  I'm also a teacher, and since whooping cough is so easily spread, I told them to shoot me up! I'm sure your Dr. would be able to tell you if it was safe during pregnancy though.  Definitely get it after baby is born.  I had my in-laws get it as well because they cared for my 1st for about a year. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I already have gotten the shot because of my job, but I made my husband and close relatives get it as well. You should DEFINATLY get it. The consequence of not getting it could be fatal for LO. No need to risk it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I got a pertussis shot when I was an infant and I was allergic to it. I haven't had a flu shot in like 10 years, just because I am always healthy and don't need it. Why would I want to get sick a week after getting one? Which is what usually happens...lol I opted out when the doctor asked me if I wanted one at 35 weeks.
  • Mine will be given after birth, before discharge.
  • I am getting mine right after I give birth. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• "they" is probably the APA or the AMA. I know my Parents magazine had a little blurb about pregnant women are now suppose to get the tdap, if they haven't already gotten it. apparently it was recently deemed safe for pg. pertussis is very dangerous to a newborn. everyone that is near the baby should have the vaccine. i believe walgreens offers it for $20. the shot lasts a while, and if you work in the medical field, then your occupational health probably administered it, or required a record that you had received it. i think it's 7 years. my OB asked me to get it, but i informed him that i had received it in 2007.

normally, i would include a link :( but the APA website seems to be having some issues and will not load. 

side note: sometimes it is difficult to get others to get the vaccination, but you should definitely push for them to do it imho. i know of a baby that passed away at 17 days old b/c of pertussis. it is serious. hope i didn't scare you, but i wouldn't want you to dismiss it and have something bad happen. good luck on your pregnancy. it goes by fast! Smile

• im 40w4d, the nurse asked me if i wanted to get it at my 40w appt. and thats when i declined and she said they will most likely ask me to get it at the hospital. I recieved the flu shot at 36w glad i made that decision because almost everyone i know has been sick ! Im thinking it would be best for me to get the shot
  • Pertussis is whooping cough and is making a comeback. It can be fatal for infants. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that parents and those who will be around the LOs most (such as grandparents and other caregivers) get the vaccine to help protect the baby.

DH and I were both updated in the last few years and have asked our parents to get it as well.

For more info, go to SoundsOfPertussis.org

• I wanted to get mine but all the doctors in my area said they don't give them until after the baby is born.  I don't understand why but that's the only reason why I haven't gotten mine yet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No scare here, im the type of person to be safe than sorry ! I just had no idea what the shot is about or what pertussis was, although i have been seeing the commericals about it, but that was all. Maybe i should have done my research then since i am pregnant ! lol

Oh no fast pregnany here ! 4 days overdue ! lol but thanks for the luck:)

• I was given one in February. I will be getting the flu shot as well. DH will be getting both. FIL gets a flu shot every year but MIL is allergic (allergy to eggs).
  • I am getting the shot, DH and DS got the shot and all immediate family members have been asked to get the shot (pertussis and flu) before they even hold the baby. I had a little push back but I could give a rip what someone's opinion is when it comes to me protecting my child.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A lot of hospitals give it after you give birth I thought. I know mine does. I'll be getting it, DH was supposed to get his last week but forgot. He was giving me guff about it until I started calling whooping cough "the baby killer" which is what it seems like it has been this year. I'm not going to risk it just because I don't like getting shots. I also hadn't had a flu shot in over 15 years until last night. I am terrified of needles and have never had the flu so I never bothered getting it, but it isn't for me. It's for the baby. I figure a shot will be the least of my discomforts once there's a baby in the picture.

• My husband got it and our parents will be getting it (along w/ flu shots).  I received the flut shot, but my OB doesn't recommend the pertussis shot until after I give birth (they'll give it to me at the hospital before I'm discharged).  
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imageBostonGayGal:
    Mine will be given after birth, before discharge.

Same here. I just asked my Dr. about it this past friday and she said that I will get it after giving birth!

imageFuzziBunz at Nurtured FamilyBabyFruit Ticker image
  • I got the flu shot and my hubby is getting his this weekend... he had the pertussis shot a while ago so he's fine but unfortunately I'm highly allergic to the pertussis vaccine (it almost killed me as an infant when it was given to me) so I won't be getting it.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • I will be getting it in the hospital after delivery.  I got the flu shot a couple of weeks ago.  Everyone in our family who lives nearby will have had both pertussis and flu shots.  (This is for the sake of my immunocompromised BIL as well as LO.)
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • I'm not bothering because I had a tetanus shot in the last 2 years. Everyone else is up to date. So no worries.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • DH & I both got our last fall before getting pregnant. Both sets of grandparents are getting it too.

• I read a recent study (released last week or so) that stated that it was better to get the pertussis shot during pregnancy than to wait.  The vaccine takes 2 weeks until it is fully effective in adults.  Also, babies were found to have better protection from whooping cough if their mother received the vaccine while pregnant.  This is important since newborns can't get the shot.  So I'm trying to get my pertussis updated while I'm pregnant, though I think I'm actually good for it.  (Being in the Navy they tend to keep us up to date on everything...)
  • imagecaradull:
    I got a pertussis shot when I was an infant and I was allergic to it. I haven't had a flu shot in like 10 years, just because I am always healthy and don't need it. Why would I want to get sick a week after getting one? Which is what usually happens...lol I opted out when the doctor asked me if I wanted one at 35 weeks.

You can't  get the flu from a flu shot. It isn't a live virus.  

• I'm getting it in the hospital right after I deliver, and I'm asking my husband and parents to get it as well. Not optional.

I had whooping cough a few years back and it was one of the most awful experiences of my life; I can't even fathom how horrible and dangerous it would be for an infant.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• I asked my OB if I could get it and she said I would have to go to me PCP to get it. The OB had given me the flu shot, so IDK why they couldn't give me the pertussis shot as well. I haven't gotten it, and probably won't now, because I don't want to go to my PCP.
  • It was never brought up when I was pg with DS but when I delivered & was in the hospital it was & I got vaccinated then.  I also had DH get vaccinated as there had been an outbreak in our city.  DS was vaccinated against it on the regular schedule as this LO will be.
  • I strongly recommend getting the Tdap vaccine (the vaccine that helps protect against pertussis--it is a combo vaccine that includes protection against tetanus and diptheria as well).  There have been numerous outrbreaks of pertussis in recent years. 

I am a pediatric RN and have seen the horrible effects of pertussis in infants--most often in infants younger than 3-4 months (because starting at 2 months of age, babies can begin their pertussis vaccine series).  It is typically mild in adults, but can be quite deadly in infants.  I encourage you and any other caregivers to get this vaccine.  Here is a link that you may find helpful, in case you are looking for more information regarding pertussis.

https://www.soundsofpertussis.com/#/homepage

TTC #1 since 02/09 Dx: Unexplained infertility After a hysteroscopy and D&C in 4/10, 3 rounds of Clomid (and one round of Femara for good measure), and acupuncture for 5 months, I got my first BFP after my first round of IUI with Femara and injectables. I am blessed. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I will not be getting it, especially not while pregnant.  In years past it was a NO NO to get that vaccine while pregnant but now because there have been outbreaks of WC it is all of a sudden deemed safe for pregnant women.   No thank you on that!

Also, I know in our area the outbreaks of WC that have been found are strains of the virus that are NOT covered by the vaccine.  Majority of the children that got it in our area were all fully vaccinated.  The virus has been mutating so everyone is still at risk of getting WC.   

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • I was told I will get the shot in the hospital after delivery.  I plan to ask for the flu shot at my appt this week.  I've also asked close family members to get both shots.
  • DH got his and our parents are either getting it soon or have gotten it already, my OB said they will do mine when Im at the hospital, Im not sure if its before or after I deliver I forgot to ask but thats their standard to do it at the hospital for preg women. Im more than ok with it and we asked our parents since they will be th only people around LOs the first couple of weeks or so and they had no problem getting it. i have heard it does make your arm quite sore for a few days which Im not looking forward too since I'll have babies to hold then lol
  • imagejenbarker99:

I'm getting it in the hospital right after I deliver, and I'm asking my husband and parents to get it as well. Not optional.

I had whooping cough a few years back and it was one of the most awful experiences of my life; I can't even fathom how horrible and dangerous it would be for an infant.

Same here - I was vaccinated years ago as a teen, and it wore off, even though doctors said it wouldn't.  It is such a frightening illness, but so many people believe that Whooping Cough is "a thing of the past" (due to most of us being vaccinated as children) that the ER docs (because my mom had to call an ambulance, twice, when I could not breathe)  just kept telling me I "probably just had a respiratory thing" (yes, he actually said "thing", not virus, infection, etc.) and gave me asthma inhalers to help me breathe.  Useless.  It was my mom who began to recognize the symptoms as pertussis because she had it as a child, and basically bullied the last doc into having me tested for it.  He refused and she just kept pushing.  Sure enough, that's what it was.

The kicker?  My mom had it as a child, AND caught it from me.  A week after my diagnosis she began to have symptoms, got tested, and it was confirmed.

After I recovered my doctor told me I don't need the vaccine as having the illness makes you immune (like with chicken pox) but hello, my mom got it twice.  I am definitely getting the vaccine, but after birth, as I know someone who developed a high fever after a flu shot at 5 month pg and she went into preterm labor and had a stillbirth.  It may be totally unrelated, but I am paranoid now, no vaccines for me until after baby.

IAmPregnant Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"