Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Overheard this mom at the store..

So I overheard this mom while waiting in line.  Ok, so basically this mom told her daughters that for every one thing they get at the store they must get rid of two things of their own.  I don' t know if she was talking about selling or donating something. 

Thoughts?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Overheard this mom at the store..

• I have that policy for myself. Well not two but if I buy new clothing I have to send something to Goodwill.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageHyfagal:
    I have that policy for myself. Well not two but if I buy new clothing I have to send something to Goodwill.

Thats awesome that you donate.  I usually clean out my closet once a month at donate also.

• Loading the player...
  • My niece's mom does this. If her daughter really wants something, she will say that she will get her it, as long as she picks two things that she wants to donate to other kids. I love the idea, and think we'll be doing the same. We want Liam to understand giving to others and want him to be apart of it by choosing what he thinks other kids his age would like from his toys he doesn't use anymore.
  • I told my DH (who hoards clothes because you never know when Hammer pants might come back in style) that he needs to do this before he can buy anything else. I think it's a good idea to fight clutter.
  • I think it's brilliant and need to implement this with H
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageValentineGirl:
    I told my DH (who hoards clothes because you never know when Hammer pants might come back in style) that he needs to do this before he can buy anything else. I think it's a good idea to fight clutter.

I seriously just fell out of my chair.

• We will do this once DS can understand why it is good to help others and understand the consequence of getting rid of a toy and never seeing it again.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I say this to H sometimes. He has way to many socks. I tell him when he buys new socks he is throwing some out at home. Same with t-shirts.
  • imagejcole32444:
    I say this to H sometimes. He has way to many socks. I tell him when he buys new socks he is throwing some out at home. Same with t-shirts.

UGH this sounds like my husband.  He has been gradually throwing away socks since they've gotten holes.  He won't buy more until he needs to buy several large packs so that they all have the same wear...SERIOUSLY??    men!  I have heard the rule several times of one item in the house one item out.  I love the idea of the rule but am not so good at following it.  I definitely think it's needs to be a family rule rather than just a kids toy rule.  It would really help keep down the clutter.  Now if I could just remember to do it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hope to do this with DS when he's older.
  • Very good policy... however I could see it causing a few melt downs if the child wasn't in the mood for negotiating! haha

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • I have that rule for myself and my husband. Also whenever my daughter outgrows her clothes we either list them for free on craigslist or donate them to my neighbors church.
  • I think it's smart- a good way to weed out the bored, whiny "I want thiiiiiiissss." If they really want something it's good to make them prioritize and decide if it's worth it. Reducing clutter and donating as well- awesome.

eta: I think it's also beneficial to teach kids it's a good idea sometimes to donate/sell GOOD things too- toys/clothes/etc that are perfectly fine and fun, but not played with/worn often, instead of just getting rid of junky stuff. Simplify!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We do this at christmas with SD. For every item she puts on her wish list, she has to clear out two items from her belongings to be donated.
  • I have a friend who does this with each child around their bday and christmas each year:) I don't think it is a bad idea at all! Keeps the clutter down and another child may get some use out of a perfectly good toy sitting unused at home. I have been saving everything because I have 3 boys and don't really feel like purchasing toys that are age appropriate 3x, but it is truly time for us to weed out items.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"