Trying to Get Pregnant

Canker Sores as a early pregnancy sign?

Hi everyone!  I usually just stay on my local board but have been lurking for a bit here and am learning so much.  Wanted to see if anyone had any experience with canker sores, maybe as a sign of pregnancy?  For years I have always gotten canker sores when I get AF. They always pop up a few days before like clock work and then I get AF.  My OB said it's just because of my hormones going crazy at that time of the month and that it can be common in some if you're already someone who gets them (plus runs in my family).  I am not due to get AF for a couple weeks and had a bunch of them pop up in my mouth last weekend, when I was having CEWCM.  It is hard to remember but I could swear the same thing happened when I was pregnant with DS.  I know stress could also cause this but I never get them at this time so am hoping it could be a good sign.  I have been googling and saw a few stories similar to mine but not much.  Anyone else have this happen?
imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Canker Sores as a early pregnancy sign?

• I've never heard of it... but you may have better luck on 1st Tri.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If af isn't due for a couple weeks, you shouldn't be having pregnancy symptoms. Pregnancy symptoms are due to the same hormone that will give you a positive pregnancy test.
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebookworm982:
    If af isn't due for a couple weeks, you shouldn't be having pregnancy symptoms. Pregnancy symptoms are due to the same hormone that will give you a positive pregnancy test.
    This. And I've never heard of canker sores being a PG sign.
    Sweet Baby Samson born 11.16.10
    Darling Little Sydney born 12.22.12
    Two Babies in Heaven
    My Babe, More Precious is to Me
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~A ridiculous amount of love to all my Golden Girls!~
  • If AF is not due for a couple weeks you probably just ovulated. So they are likely unrelated to pregnancy right now. I have never heard of it as a general pregnancy symptom.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagebookworm982:
    If af isn't due for a couple weeks, you shouldn't be having pregnancy symptoms. Pregnancy symptoms are due to the same hormone that will give you a positive pregnancy test.

I guess it's less than 2 weeks but still, I see what you're saying.  Good point.  I am thinking I should be due around the 22nd but not really sure as this is only my 3rd cycle since having my IUD removed.  Thanks

• imagerrcraz7:
    If AF is not due for a couple weeks you probably just ovulated. So they are likely unrelated to pregnancy right now. I have never heard of it as a general pregnancy symptom.

They can be a symptom of pregnancy.  Usually it is the opposite of what you are normally, from what I have read and been told.  I get them monthly but when I was pregnant never got one.  My OB said that would probably happen.  People that never get them can get them as a symptom of pregnancy and then never have them again.

• imageseansgirl2006:

imagerrcraz7:
    If AF is not due for a couple weeks you probably just ovulated. So they are likely unrelated to pregnancy right now. I have never heard of it as a general pregnancy symptom.

They can be a symptom of pregnancy.  Usually it is the opposite of what you are normally, from what I have read and been told.  I get them monthly but when I was pregnant never got one.  My OB said that would probably happen.  People that never get them can get them as a symptom of pregnancy and then never have them again.

Just curious, why did you ask?

• imageseansgirl2006:

imagerrcraz7:

Ok. You asked if we had ever experienced it maybe as a pregnancy symptom. I answered you. Opinion still stands, If you noticed it last weekend around when you would be ovulating it wouldn't be related to pregnancy.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I appreciate your responses.  I was asking because when I was pregnant with my first child, I got a bunch right away (I believe before I tested and got a positive) and then never had any again while I was pregnant.  I googled and saw some other similar stories on other boards and just wondered if anyone on here had anything like that as well.  That's all.

• I have never heard of this before.  Canker sores are usually a sign of stress as well. Maybe you are stressing out about becoming pregnant, therefore getting the canker sores.  Just a thought!  I wouldn't look too much into any signs until you POAS and it's positive! :)

• imageseansgirl2006:

I appreciate your responses.  I was asking because when I was pregnant with my first child, I got a bunch right away (I believe before I tested and got a positive) and then never had any again while I was pregnant.  I googled and saw some other similar stories on other boards and just wondered if anyone on here had anything like that as well.  That's all.

Considering how a) common canker sores (stress and nutritional deficiencies are some of the top cause for them) and b) how every little twinge in jumped on as a possible pregnancy sign, I wouldn't trust any anecdotal evidence. Even the more 'common' signs of pregnancy like frequent urination and morning sickness aren't detected until several weeks and not by everyone I would look towards possible stress and diet first and am with PP: if you are getting ?signs?, then you should be able to POAS to get ?answers?.  

• imageseansgirl2006:

I appreciate your responses.  I was asking because when I was pregnant with my first child, I got a bunch right away (I believe before I tested and got a positive) and then never had any again while I was pregnant.  I googled and saw some other similar stories on other boards and just wondered if anyone on here had anything like that as well.  That's all.

You can say anything is related to pregnancy. Based on that logic if I sneezed on 6DPO and end up being pregnant and other people sneezed on 6DPO and end up pregnant, well then I guess that must be a sign of pregnancy. I'm glad you're not involved in research studies.

•  https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/canker-sore/DS00354/DSECTION=causes

The precise cause of canker sores remains unclear, though researchers suspect that a combination of several factors contributes to outbreaks, even in a single individual. These factors include:

• A minor injury to your mouth from dental work, overzealous brushing, sports mishaps, spicy or acidic foods, or an accidental cheek bite
    • Food sensitivities, particularly to chocolate, coffee, strawberries, eggs, nuts, cheese and highly acidic foods, such as pineapple
    • Food allergies
    • A diet lacking in vitamin B-12, zinc, folate (folic acid) or iron
    • An allergic response to certain bacteria in your mouth
    • Helicobacter pylori, the same bacteria that cause peptic ulcers
    • Celiac disease, a serious intestinal disorder caused by a sensitivity to gluten, a protein found in most grains
    • Inflammatory bowel diseases, such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
    • Behcet's disease, a rare disorder that causes inflammation throughout the body, including the mouth
    • A faulty immune system that attacks healthy cells in your mouth instead of pathogens, such as viruses and bacteria
    • HIV/AIDS, which suppresses the immune system
    • Hormonal shifts during menstruation
    • Emotional stress
    • Toothpastes and mouth rinses containing sodium lauryl sulfate

Unlike cold sores, canker sores are not associated with herpes virus infections.

I think your sores are coincidence.

My Little
  • imagemrsz2008:
    imagebookworm982:
    This. And I've never heard of canker sores being a PG sign.

Yuck! What a crappy PG symptom! I'd rather have the achy boobs and mood swings! Tongue Tied

My Ovulation Chart

TTC #1 since March 2010

DH - SA = Low Morphology. Great overall count.

August 2012: HSG - All Clear

September 2012: Timed Intercourse 100 mg Clomid CD 4-8 w/ Repronex & HCG Injections = BFN

October 2012: Timed Intercourse 100 mg Clomid CD 4-8 = BFN

September 2013: New Doctor: 50 mg Clomid CD 5-9 & IUI #1 = BFN

October 2013: 50 mg Clomid CD 3-7 & IUI #2 = BFN 

November 2013 to ??? = On a mental break for now.

• Never heard that...sounds like an old wives tale
  • imageseansgirl2006:

imagebookworm982:

I guess it's less than 2 weeks but still, I see what you're saying.  Good point.  I am thinking I should be due around the 22nd but not really sure as this is only my 3rd cycle since having my IUD removed.  Thanks

Have you thought about charting? 

party-fails-crunk-critters-catnips-a-hell-of-a-drug GBCB- Leaving the bump in protest of the new changes. No privacy= no bump for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"