Pregnant after a Loss
Options

5 weeks - sac but no baby

Hello everyone,

I am feeling pretty good today -- had my first appointment and ultrasound and they saw the sac in the uterus (so no ectopic! yay!) however the ultrasound tech made me a little uneasy. She kept telling me that it might be too early to see baby, but then when she only saw the sac she was very hesistant to tell me that things looked ok. I am suppose to be 5 weeks and 6 days, but I don't think I ovulated for a few days after day 14 -- so really I could be 5 weeks 3 days. Has anyone else only been able to see the sac and not the baby? My next ultrasound is in 2 weeks...crossing my fingers for everything to be ok!! And, no bad phone calls from the doctor regarding my blood work! Thanks in advance for your comments.

Re: 5 weeks - sac but no baby

• Options
    YES.  This happened to me not that long ago.  I had my u/s at 6 weeks based on LMP and no baby, just a sac.  4 days later, there was a baby, with a heartbeat!  So, yes, things can turn out just fine in this situation, and it could be your dates are just a couple days off, which can make a big difference at this stage, according to my doc.  Best of luck for a happy outcome!!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yep.  I had an u/s at 5w1d (LMP was 5w6d) and there was only a sac.  Two weeks later at 7w1d there was a baby and a heartbeat.  I am sure it is just too early.  Congrats!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At 5w3d I had a gest sac and faint/tiny yolk sac (no fetal pole or hb)... the next week we saw the flicker.

BFP#1 11.2.10 | EDD 7.9.11 | HB 7w2d & 8w4d | missed M/C 11w2d | D&E 12.21.10
    FSH at 14.5 - 4.21.11 | CCCT - (CD3 8.8,CD10 12.2)| dx w/ DOR @ 28 yrs old
    IUI#1 + clomid 8.29.11 (our anniversary)
    BFP#2 9.10.11 | EDD 5.21.12 | beta 1 @ 14dpi:232 | beta 2 @17dpi:703 | beta 3 @24dpi:7,174
    Baby A HB of 142(7w), 161(8w), 164(9w) | Baby B no HB, Vanishing Twin
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    At 5w2d we saw gestational and yolk sacs but we were 100% sure on the dates because we did IVF. If your dates could be a little off because of late O, things could be just fine. Good luck!
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • Options
    Yes, in my 5th week we saw only a gestational sac, no yolk sac, no fetal pole.  One week later, we had a hb!  Now I'm 25 weeks with a little girl doing dances inside.  Sounds like a good appt to me!
  • Options
    When I went in for my first u/s at just after 5 weeks we were only able to see a gest. sac.  A little over a week later, we went back and had a healthy LO with a nice strong heartbeat.  I really think it's just too early, especially if your O date is a little off.  At this stage a matter of hours can make a huge difference on a u/s.
    TTC #1 since 8/09
    BFP#1 - 9/2/10, EDD 5/14/11, Twins Hannah and Liam lost 11/7/10 @ 13w1d.
    BFP #2 - 2/9/11, EDD 10/13/11, LO lost 2/13/11 @ 5w4d
    BFP #3 - 5/9/11, DS born 1/13/12

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ~*~My BFP Chart~*~Our Story~*~
    ~*~Labor Buddies with Sweet Turnip - Welcome Baby Girl 2/23/12 & Aluenna - Welcome Ivy 1/6/12~*~
  • Options
    my cousin just went through the same experience at 5 wks, when she went back at 7 everything looked perfect! Be positive!
  • Options

Yes, this happened to me with this pregnancy.  Went in at 5w4d (to rule out ectopic) and there was only the ges. sac.  When I went back at 7 weeks there was a little "blob" with a hb.

Sounds like you are where you should be at this point.  GL and congrats!

Photobucket
    DD#1 9-4-04 *** DD#2 10-15-07
    BFP#3 10-25-10 *EDD 7/1/11 * missed m/c @ 13w3d
    BFP#4 7-30-11 *EDD 4/8/12 ~ DD#3 born 4/4/12
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My first u/s we only saw a sac and fetal pole and that was around 5.5 weeks.  Don't stress...especially if bloodwork came back ok.  I hope the next 2 weeks go by fast for you!
    imageimage BabyFruit Ticker For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. ~Jeremiah 29:11
  • Options

Yup!  I went in at exactly 6w b/c I was spotting.  We saw just the gestational sac and nothing else.  I was convinced it was bad news even though my OB was very positive.  Lo and behold, 2 weeks later there was my baby girl!

BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
    BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    missing my baby everyday
    BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
    BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d
  • Options
    YES!  Happened this time.  It took three U/S before they found baby- I was almost TEN WEEKS before they found her!  I am STILL kind of like- is this really happening??  So, try not to let it get to you.  The time they FINALLY saw her, they were STILL having trouble.  I asked if there was anything I could do(my uterus is really high), and the tech asked me to life my hips.  I did and BOOM, she popped into view.  Exactly on track;0) 
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Cloth Diapers at Nurtured Family
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"