Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Similac better/gentler than Enfamil?

I think my LO is having difficulty digesting Enfamil Newborn. The Dr suggested changing to Enfamil Gentlease. But it seems like people on here like Similac more. Is it more gentle? He's 8 weeks old and going from BM to FF and screaming in pain every time he eats right now. Please help!

Re: Similac better/gentler than Enfamil?

• My LO has a sensitive tummy and we use Enfamil Gentlease when we supplement. This is what was suggested to us by the NICU when he was there.
    Photobucket
  • I don't think it matters. Different babies have different preferences and what works for one won't work for another. I'd try what you're interested in first and then go from there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Similac made DDs reflux worse. Pedi had us switch to Gerber Gentle. But as others have said, your LO will have their preference. It takes time and a few tries to get it right.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS had reflux when he was tiny, and I stopped giving BM at around 4 weeks. We tried Similac Advance, which he had a really hard time with, then Isomil Soy, which caused him to have hard, green poops, and finally Similac Sensitive, which he's still on now. He also had to be on Prilosec to help with his reflux for about a month when it was at its worst. GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• When we left the hospital, the nurse mentioned that most babies she's dealt with have had an easier time digesting Similac. That's what we planned on and do use anyway, but she did specifically mention it.

I don't have experience with it personally, but could there be some dairy intolerance? I don't know enough about Enfamil formula to know if there are dairy ingredients.

• I had the same problem when I switched my baby from breast to bottle. Now we use similac sensitive and it works just great for us.  You may want to ask your doc about gas drops. We used them with each formula feeding for the first month or so. Now baby is 4 months old and does just fine with out the drops. 
  • I don't know if it's any gentler on their stomachs or not, but honestly the only reason we are using Similac is because that is what our hospital provides. We've switched formulas several times, but all of them have been variations of Similac...right now we are on Isomil...but she still seems to be gassy and upset...I'm wondering if one of the other brands would be better for her...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks! Do you put the gas drops in the bottle or just after you feed LO?
  • We started DS on Similac Advanced because that's what they recommended in the hospital. I was pumping in the beginning and just supplementing with the formula on occasion and the Similac seemed fine. When we went to just FF, he started getting really gassy and seemed to have lots of tummy aches. We switched to the Sensitive and then to the Soy and they were all more or less the same. I then switched him to Enfamil Gentlease and he is doing really well on that. He has reflux and is on meds. We put gas drops in every bottle. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"