August 2011 Moms

Back or Tummy?

Even though research shows that it is safer for your LO on their backs which do you do? If your LO sleeps better on their stomachs do you leave them in that position? I am a firm believer or thought I was of having LO on her back.  Lately she hasn't been sleeping well because of gas issues which keep her up and fussy.  I was so tired from her not sleeping well the other night.  My boyfriend told me to go into the other room to rest.  When I woke up I found her sleeping on her stomach.  I yelled at him for doing that, but he said she wouldn't shut up and once in that position she was quiet.  He told me too that he did this with his other children and they are fine. I was nervous but she looked peaceful.  He did it again today and at first I kept moving her to see if she was okay. When I saw that she was then I relaxed.  Am I correct in worrying about her on her tummy? I told my boyfriend once she is moved to her crib she will only be on her back.  Any advice or opinions are welcomed. TIA
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Back or Tummy?

• I put LO on her back to sleep. We bedshare & I don't want her on her tummy on my soft mattress. Sometimes if she's extra gassy I'll let her sleep on her tummy on my chest. Or I'll let her nap in the bassinet on her chest (it's harder & easier for me to monitor her than in the bed). I know a lot of ladies on here swear by the angel care monitor though. So that may be something to consider.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My DS sleeps on his tummy, he sleeps through the night most nights beacue he is comfy that way.  When I try to get him to sleep on his back he wakes up often.  I sometimes can get him to sleep on his side, but most nights he's on his tummy.  I tend not to worry about SIDS, I believe if there is something that is going to happen that it will happen no matter how the baby is sleeping.  Now suffocating is a different story, I make sure there is nothing by his head, and he's on a firm mattress in his crib.  DS has really good head control, and I watch him when he naps, and he always has his head turned to the side, sometimes he switches sides, but is good about picking it up and turning. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DS sleeps in his RNP currently but sometimes he naps on his stomach.  We'll put him on his stomach for tummy time and he often falls asleep.  We watch him cause I Do worry but if he's content and safe I don't want to wake him. 

I personally wouldn't be comforable having him sleep on his stomach all night (I would worry too much and not sleep) but you could get a sensor monitor if you're concerned

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks ladies.  I plan on getting the Angle Care monitor for the crib.  Are there certain types of do they just make one? How does it work exactly? TIA
  • My baby sleeps on her back at all times. The only time she sleeps on her tummy is if I'm awake sitting on the couch and she is on my chest. I can feel and see her breathing. 

I didn't know the carbon dioxide risk of SIDS until I read this article today: 

https://www.parents.com/baby/health/sids/how-to-prevent-sids/?sssdmh=dm17.540459&esrc=nwdk_d251&email=3147621873

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • thanks for the article MandyHall2882 it was informative.  I will not let LO on stomach.  Hope SO respects my wishes when I go back to work. 
  • image35baby:
    Thanks ladies.  I plan on getting the Angle Care monitor for the crib.  Are there certain types of do they just make one? How does it work exactly? TIA
    They have a few different ones. I just have the one that has the motion pad. It works great. Test it first because you can change the sensitivity of the pad. LO rolled off it last night and it went off, and considering it went off for real about 2 weeks ago I kinda freaked out. But all is well. If you LO sleeps better on her belly let her sleep. Think about how many of us were belly babies and we all turned out kinda ok hehe.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCrash Into Me:
    Same boyfriend who didn't want you to go through with the pregnancy?
    This.
    Married 7.5.08
    BFP 12/10/10 - DD1 8/16/11
    BFP 10/29/13 - c/p 11/2/13
    BFP 11/29/13 - DD2 7/18/14
    BFP 3/20/18 - DS1 due 12/2/18
  • My lil man has slept all the night for the past three nights and I am pretty sure that is why.  He sleeps SOOOO much better on his stomach.  My feeling is we all did it and are still kickin...I know that it is better for them to be on there back but at this point to get him to sleep I will take it! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • imageMandiNewMommy:
    My lil man has slept all the night for the past three nights and I am pretty sure that is why.  He sleeps SOOOO much better on his stomach.  My feeling is we all did it and are still kickin...I know that it is better for them to be on there back but at this point to get him to sleep I will take it! 

I'm so with you on this one!  Being sleep deprived really sucks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My LO sleeps on his side.  I put him down in the RNP sort of on his side but facing more up-ish...(so more on his back/side than on his stomach/side), and then he ends up in bed with me and he stays in the position he nurses in...on his side.  He has loved side sleeping since he was 2 days old.  He will not stay asleep on his back.

As for whether you're wrong to worry?  I'm a big believer in "trust your instincts."  I'm okay with side-sleeping, but I know many others aren't.  But I trust myself and my instincts.  You're her mommy...trust your instincts.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Our LO sleeps on his back but can roll over so I asked our pedi and he said it was fine because he said the odds of are 1 in mil on back as opposed to 2 in mil on tummy (he said that they may not be the exact odds but it is very close) for SIDS.  LO is a cuddle bug and curls up with me every morning about 4am on his tummy so we can both get the extra sleep we need.

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • DD is always on her back to sleep.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LO sleeps on his back. Our pedi advised severely against tummy sleeping so that was enough for me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"