Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

5 week old with a stuffy nose...

LO has had a stuffy nose for a few days and the pedi told me to use saline drops and a bulb syringe to clear his nose.  This does very little aside from infuriating LO - after I use the saline and syringe, he's not only stopped up, but screaming at the top of his lungs.  Anyone have any advice on how I could make LO more comfortable and help him get unstuffy at the same time?

So there's this boy. He kinda stole my heart. He calls me "Mom"

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Voted "Mom of the Year" 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: 5 week old with a stuffy nose...

• Options
    The bulb aspirators are useless. You need to get the type that has a straw-like thing that you suck on with your mouth. I think there's one called Nosefrida on Amazon. I got a hydraSense one at my local drug store.
    image image
    D: Born 7.14.11
    Baby #2: BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
    O: Born 3.2.14 (med-free!)
  • Options
    If the saline drops aren't helping, I'd try rubbing some baby Vicks on your LO's chest and using a cool mist humidifer in the nursery.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

nosefreda for sure!

saline drops - give them 20-30 seconds to do their thing before sucking

cool mist humidifier

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Everything that PPs posted...

Sitting in the bathroom for 5-10 mins with a hot shower running helps our LO. The steam really helps to break up the congestion

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    do not, and i repeat do not put vicks on your baby's chest...this can lead to phenomonia...instead rub it on the babys feet and cover with socks or a footed sleeper it will have the same effect
  • Options
    also remember to use the babys vicks not the reg version
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"