2nd Trimester

non-maternity wear challenge

I have had such a rough time with maternity clothes that I have decided not to wear them.  I know so many ladies who LOVED their maternity clothes-not me. So, I have decided to start blogging about all of the non-maternity outfits I can put together that are stylish and make me feel good.  We'll see how long I can wear my everyday clothes throughout this pregnancy. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: non-maternity wear challenge

• Best of luck to you.  
  • Besides a pair of jeans, I could and can still wear almost all of my clothes from before. I was a fan of baby doll or the shirts that tied around the waist so most everything still fits.  I've bought i think 3-5 mat shirts but only because I could and most were cheap lol. As we were trying for a baby I only bought clothes that i could " grow" into lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel the same way! My issue with them is I find a pair of pants that fit in the thighs and are way to big in the tummy! Same issue with regular clothes. I am sticking with the sweats I have, except for work. I will just go up a size if needed! As for tops I will go with the flow! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Good Luck!
  • I ruined many of my non-maternity items last time around because they became stretched out.  So if you don't mind that, should be fine.  Also, good luck with pants.
  • With my twins, I outgrew almost every maternity shirt I'd bought. The only things that fit were junior sized tunics and leggings. So that's what I'm wearing most of this pregnancy, too. 

imageimage

TheseFourButton-1.png

• I bought maternity clothes last time I was pregnant and it was a waste.  I lost a significant amount of weight in between pregnancies and my clothes from last time are all too big now.  I gave them to a friend and this time around I am trying my hardest to do with regular clothes.  I delivered 9 weeks early last time and although I am praying not to deliver that early this time, I figure why waste any money until I know for sure.  I am almost half way and still haven't gained any weight this time, just shifted, so I am not too worried.  I think you can do it!  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have zero desire to wear maternity clothes...the look and thought of them makes me gag. I'm heading to American Apparel for my face leggings and rocking oversized tops and sweaters that work with my belly.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Good luck.

By the end of my pregnancy, even the maternity shirts were too small. I also carried her so low that regular pants, even unbuttoned, were cutting into my stomach.

I didn't gain weight anywhere but my belly, so just going to a larger size would have been impossible. They would have been around my ankles after 2 steps. Also for shirts I would have had to go to like size 5X, and I don't particularly like looking like a tent, with shoulder seams being down at my elbows. lol

• I was in non-maternity clothes until 28 weeks with my first. Good luck!
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Get a Bella Band to help extend the "life" of your non-maternity pants! 
  • So jealous! I couldn't fit into my regular jeans anymore at 8 weeks because I had turned into Bloatzilla and gained almost ten pounds. Many of my shirts still fit, plus a few dresses and skirts because I had a bunch of high-waisted ones, but I am wearing exclusively prego pants now.
  • the problem comes in your third tri when all your shirts are too short and your belly hangs out.
  • Hey everybody!!

Thanks for the support and well wishes.  I am going to try to continue wearing my non-maternity clothes as long as possible.  I am up for the challenge.  Today I took a trip to my local thrift store, and it was a total SUCCESS!  I found 3 long tunics (much like the one in my blog) that were super stretchy.  I also found three dresses that are empire waist and stretchy.  The total came out to 40.55.  I am not proud to admit it, but I've paid about that for one item out of the traditional maternity stores.  That, to me, is an atrocity. I'll keep you all posted with my success as the weeks progress Smile.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I don't wear any maternity clothes and I don't really plan to.  If I end up finding a cute maternity top I like, I won't run from it though. 

They don't make maternity jeans in the size jeans I wear, so I can't find any maternity jeans that fit me anyways. I did pick up an extra pair of jeans that is a stretchy material, I don't usually wear stretchy jeans. Most of my tops are still fine. When I buy new tops, I just make sure they have good length to them. 

• I like skirts. The stretchy kind that don't have a structured waistband. I mainly wear non maternity shirts, I just use the Bella band to cover the length. Sweaters and sweatshirts that have the two zippers so you can unzip the bottom over your belly. Jeans open with a Bella band and long shirts. The bottoms get difficult, but I think it's doable. By the end I was just wearing yoga pants anyway.
  • So basically you are just whoring out your blog. I see not much has changed since your brief stint on TTGP.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've been wearing maternity clothes since about 11w, if not sooner. Then again, this is my third pregnancy. TBH, I really don't understand the "I refuse to wear maternity clothes" stand. You're not going to win any awards for squeezing your pregnant arse into your regular clothes for 40w. It's so much easier to not have to worry about what's hanging out here and there and how you're going to cover it. Those Bella Bands can only stretch so far. Not to mention, after you give birth and your body is all flabby and out of whack, the maternity clothes gives you something to hide all of that andpluslaso it's much more comfortable.

And to be very honest, you couldn't pay me to read a blog about only wearing regular clothes through your entire pregnancy. Who cares what you're wearing.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Good luck! I have found that some of my non-maternity empire waist items still fit and look nice . . . but I gave up and went to maternity clothes when I heard from many friends and people on the boards that it's pretty easy to stretch out your clothes. Cute maternity clothes are hard to find, so I definitely applaud your efforts!!
    Baby #2 - BFP 6/13/2014 - EDD 2/17/2015 BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemoccamom2be:

Hey everybody!!

Thanks for the support and well wishes.  I am going to try to continue wearing my non-maternity clothes as long as possible.  I am up for the challenge.  Today I took a trip to my local thrift store, and it was a total SUCCESS!  I found 3 long tunics (much like the one in my blog) that were super stretchy.  I also found three dresses that are empire waist and stretchy.  The total came out to 40.55.  I am not proud to admit it, but I've paid about that for one item out of the traditional maternity stores.  That, to me, is an atrocity. I'll keep you all posted with my success as the weeks progress Smile.

Oh lord, please don't.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagedanlexi04:

I've been wearing maternity clothes since about 11w, if not sooner. Then again, this is my third pregnancy. TBH, I really don't understand the "I refuse to wear maternity clothes" stand. You're not going to win any awards for squeezing your pregnant arse into your regular clothes for 40w. It's so much easier to not have to worry about what's hanging out here and there and how you're going to cover it. Those Bella Bands can only stretch so far. Not to mention, after you give birth and your body is all flabby and out of whack, the maternity clothes gives you something to hide all of that andpluslaso it's much more comfortable.

And to be very honest, you couldn't pay me to read a blog about only wearing regular clothes through your entire pregnancy. Who cares what you're wearing.

Yes  Why can't people just be happy about being KU and quit complaining about petty sh!t like maternity clothes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemrsfowler1016:
    imagedanlexi04:

I've been wearing maternity clothes since about 11w, if not sooner. Then again, this is my third pregnancy. TBH, I really don't understand the "I refuse to wear maternity clothes" stand. You're not going to win any awards for squeezing your pregnant arse into your regular clothes for 40w. It's so much easier to not have to worry about what's hanging out here and there and how you're going to cover it. Those Bella Bands can only stretch so far. Not to mention, after you give birth and your body is all flabby and out of whack, the maternity clothes gives you something to hide all of that andpluslaso it's much more comfortable.

Yes  Why can't people just be happy about being KU and quit complaining about petty sh!t like maternity clothes.

YesYes

you can pry my maternity jeans from my cold, dead hands!

• Most of my shirts are non maternity, I just don't like what is available in my size for shirts. While pg with my DS I wore long tank tops under my shirts when they started to get to short. But I love my maternity jeans!

****formerly talentedgirl**** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSheenaNash1:
    So basically you are just whoring out your blog. I see not much has changed since your brief stint on TTGP.
    I knew this screen name looked familiar.

I'm sure we will all be waiting on the edge of our seats for her wardrobe updates.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Because some of us can't afford these clothes, don't like the way they fit, or are not comfy in them.  We also don't feel that you HAVE to buy maternity and be stuck in this monopoly of maternity stores (such as Pea-in-the-Pod which is the ONLY store I have in my area) you can find non-maternity wear and have the same effect and still be fashionable and cute. Why start an argument? If you don't have anything nice to say.... you know the rest. What's the point of in-fighting?

Pregnancy Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagestacylash:

Because some of us can't afford these clothes, don't like the way they fit, or are not comfy in them.  We also don't feel that you HAVE to buy maternity and be stuck in this monopoly of maternity stores (such as Pea-in-the-Pod which is the ONLY store I have in my area) you can find non-maternity wear and have the same effect and still be fashionable and cute. Why start an argument? If you don't have anything nice to say.... you know the rest. What's the point of in-fighting?

A difference of opinion isn't starting an argument. ::eyeroll::
  • OK so here's my plan:

got a pair of jeans, a T and a dress from Target when I was there in Aug, along with a BeBand. Has been working so far. I need to look respectable for work, and so far so good. 

Got 3 pairs of pants I can wear to work on Kijiji for $5 each last week. Total score. 

Went to Thyme Maternity with a friend last week. Total bust. NOTHING looked good. Bought 2 shirts and a coat but returned them. 

Went to Old Navy and had a total score. Most things were on sale and somewhat fashionable, but most of all, they fit my body type properly. 

Last night I went through all my clothes and divided into 2 piles: stuff I dont mind stretching out and getting rid of post-pregnancy, and then the stuff I want to keep nice so will not be wearing until after. 

I think this should work, and I might need to top up my mat shirts later on, but I didnt drop a ton of cash and am working wtih what I have!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Ladies, I am convinced that we can wear non-maternity clothes longer that the traditional maternity stores would have us believe (No, I don't mean squeezing in something that is obviously too tight or uncomfortable). I think that we can absolutely get by with long tunics, dresses, and bella bands.  At the very least, it's worth a try. JMHO.

Anyway, I am very excited to read that there are so many of you who think the same as I do.  It is encouraging. If any of you have any tips, let me know or feel free to post them.  Judging by the responses to the OP, I sure any tips will be appreciated by many.

• imagemoccamom2be:

Ladies, I am convinced that we can wear non-maternity clothes longer that the traditional maternity stores would have us believe (No, I don't mean squeezing in something that is obviously too tight or uncomfortable). I think that we can absolutely get by with long tunics, dresses, and bella bands.  At the very least, it's worth a try. JMHO.

Anyway, I am very excited to read that there are so many of you who think the same as I do.  It is encouraging. If any of you have any tips, let me know or feel free to post them.  Judging by the responses to the OP, I sure any tips will be appreciated by many.

Can you please use "I" instead of "we." If you feel like you are capable of doing this, then more power to you but I'm not in that category and believe me, I didnt need a traditional maternity clothing store to tell me so.
  •   I bought a Belly Band so I don't have to wear maternity pants yet. Also I lost a lot of weight before I got pregnant so as I grow I just go back to my old clothes. I hate the stretchy bands on maternity pants b/c they don't fit right and slide down every time I move.

• imagedanlexi04:
    imagemoccamom2be:

Ladies, I am convinced that we can wear non-maternity clothes longer that the traditional maternity stores would have us believe (No, I don't mean squeezing in something that is obviously too tight or uncomfortable). I think that we can absolutely get by with long tunics, dresses, and bella bands.  At the very least, it's worth a try. JMHO.

Can you please use "I" instead of "we." If you feel like you are capable of doing this, then more power to you but I'm not in that category and believe me, I didnt need a traditional maternity clothing store to tell me so.

No kidding. So I guess those of us who "succumbed" to maternity clothes early on did so because "the man" tricked us into thinking we couldn't wear our normal clothes? Funny, cause I just thought I was buying them to be more comfortable. Silly me.

• imageSheenaNash1:
    imagedanlexi04:
    imagemoccamom2be:

No kidding. So I guess those of us who "succumbed" to maternity clothes early on did so because "the man" tricked us into thinking we couldn't wear our normal clothes? Funny, cause I just thought I was buying them to be more comfortable. Silly me.

I think my maternity jeans are about 1000x more comfortable than wearing my regular pants with a Bella band, but that could just be the maternity store brainwash talking.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagehey_little_bird:
    imagemrsfowler1016:
    imagedanlexi04:

YesYes

you can pry my maternity jeans from my cold, dead hands!

funniest response I've read all day.  lmao.

• Your 17 WEEKS pregnant-good luck in third tri.  I went from a size 2 pre-pregnancy to a size large in maternity with my last one.  I was so big in the belly even maternity jeans didn't fit at the end and I had to wear maxi dresses and gaucho pants.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"