Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Have you turned the car seat around?

It's getting harder & harder to get DS into his car seat. He is huge & the space between the car & the car seat seems to be shrinking daily!! I know we are supposed to keep them rear facing till 2 years old now, but I just don't know if we are going to make it. When did/are you ladies turning the car seat around??

Re: Have you turned the car seat around?

• We turned the seat around about a month ago!

View Full Size Image 
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I haven't.  I have no idea when I'm going to turn him around.
  • Loading the player...
  • Nope. He'll be rear-facing at least until 2yrs.

• I still rear face my 2 year old, granted her legs are long but better a broken leg than a broken neck! The safety of their legs isn't nearly as important as their spine/neck and head and of all the horrors if we were in an accident that bad I would much rather deal with a broken leg!

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • We haven't turned it yet and don't plan on it until at least 2.
  • DD's car seat RF's up to 35 lbs, which will be well past age 2. We're going to keep her RF'ing as long as possible.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • No. She's been rear-facing for 17 months and doesn't know any different, so it is fine for her.  She is average size - 50th %ile.

She spent about 2 months straightening out her legs because she wanted to stand in the car seat, and I had to force her to bend to put the buckles on.  But she has finally stopped that.  I just stayed consistent.

• I turned the car seat around with DD when she turned 12 months old.  A month later, they came out with the new carseat recommendations but I didn't turn her back around.  This time around I will be waiting to turn DS around at 18 months old, unless they change the law to 2 then.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • We will turn him around 22 months when his little sister is born. We can't fit two RF in my car. He may stay RF in my husband's car at that point but we're not sure yet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have no idea when we'll turn DD around. Not any time soon! She's still in a RF infant seat.
  • When he was 18lbs...he was too long to sit backwards. It is only a recommendation to keep the seat turned around, not a law.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We turned Snuggle when he was about 13 or 14 months old.  It had nothing to do with him, but the way I had to put him in the seat RFing caused me to constantly throw my back out.  It took 6 weeks of physical therapy to get me back to normal and the safe way for me to get him in the seat meant not lifting him, but sliding him in.  Can't do that RFing, so we flipped him around.
  • No but I am considering it real soon.   We have such a busy schedule with 2 in school & extra curricular activities and at least once a week dinner is on the go and I really prefer to see him if he is eating in the car.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In my FI car (which she only rides in maybe once a month or so) she is FF. However, that is due to the fact that we just cannot fit her convertible carseat in his car RF. Trust me. We tried multiple times. However, in my car she is still RF. I don't know when I'll turn her around though. She is a hefty kiddo. So my guess is probably going to be when it becomes so much of a pain in the butt to put her in RF. So my guess is probably about 18 months. Maybe longer if she will cooperate.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageadelepickle:
    When he was 18lbs...he was too long to sit backwards. It is only a recommendation to keep the seat turned around, not a law.

Be careful saying that or someone will link you the internal decapitation video. C is over 31 inches, and outgrew his infant seat at 6 months. We got a new convertible that can RF up to 35lbs, and he just curls up his legs or straddles the seat some already so will continue doing that as he gets taller. We wont take any chances with the crazy drivers here. And at 18lbs, C was only 4 months old and could not sit up well yet.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• We did when he was 12 months. He has a swivel car seat though, it does 360 on the base. So it was one click.

He prefers to watch TV while we drive.

I also am a professional driver with over a million miles logged on the road, so I feel fine turning him around. (flame away)

• Nope. We will wait until 2.

• Weight and hight permitting, I'm hoping to hold out turning her around until she's at least 3.5-4 years old.  Longer if she hasn't reached the limits yet.

however long the night, dawn will break.

• Yes, we turned DD around at about 15 months. It has made such a difference. She's in the 95% for height and she has much more room. And she doesn't scream nearly as much because she can see so much more now. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Still RF here. She'll be 2 years old in 3 weeks but Ihave no plans to turn her around yet; although DH keeps asking when we can turn her around. She's off the charts in height but weight hasn't hit 30 lbs yet so we'll keep her RF until she maxes out or DH annoys me to death. 

My car is a 2 door coup so keeping her RF is an extreme PITA for me. But I know she's safer that way so I suck it up. But I am sooo looking forward to turning her around because getting in and out of the back seat to secure her and remove her lost its charm about a week after we switched to the convertible car seat. 

• I'm not there yet, but starting to consider it. DS is 2 pounds from the 35 pound RF weight limit, and close to height limit as well. I don't care about folding legs or not, no big deal, but RF isn't so safe if baby exceeds weight limits. I still dont know.

• imageadelepickle:
    When he was 18lbs...he was too long to sit backwards. It is only a recommendation to keep the seat turned around, not a law.

Are you sure you had the carseat installed properly? My son is 3 feet tall and fits RF.

• Nope. DD is tall but tiny and barely 20#. Just not something I feel I need to do right now. She just crosses her legs.

Lilypie - (fjc0)

• 22 months, and DS is still happily rear facing. He just bends his legs. We have no intention of turning him around anytime soon.
  • We haven't yet but plan on doing it soon. She is very big/tall and we may change her at 18 months.
  • I plan to keep DS RF until he outgrows the RF limits of his seat.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• imageadelepickle:

Actually, in several states, the law is that your child must be older than 1 AND weigh more than 20 lbs to forward face. 

• imageJake's Mom:

We did when he was 12 months. He has a swivel car seat though, it does 360 on the base. So it was one click.

He prefers to watch TV while we drive.

I also am a professional driver with over a million miles logged on the road, so I feel fine turning him around. (flame away)

Just curious, and I really do not mean for this to sound biitchy, but what does being a "professional driver" have to do with anything? Yes, your driving may be spot on but that doesn't mean the millions of people around you are. You could still be struck by another vehicle just as easily as anyone else. Accidents happen no matter how perfect of a driver you are.

To answer OP's question. We will rear face until at least 2 years of age. I see no reason to FF any time sooner. I think too many people make the decision to switch early due to their personal convenience. Which is ridic. 

• DD1 is 33 in (90-something%) but only 23 lbs at 19 months. She is still RFing and I have zero intention of switching her anytime soon - probably not until well after her 2nd birthday, maybe not until she's 3, as long she's still in the limits of the seat. 
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm not even considering it until at least 2 1/2. DD is very tiny for her age, only around 22 lbs now. If there is no new baby we'll probably even keep her there until 3.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We just turned DS around. His 2nd birthday was a week ago & he's hit the 34# mark also.

I'd been itching to turn him around but with new recs I didn't do it until age 2 & 34#.

Honestly, he fights me less getting into the seat, but he cries in his seat more if we're driving long distances because his feet aren't touching anything and his legs fall asleep.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
    1/1 Spotting, 1/3 beta 36,000, 1/5 u/s empty sac measuring 7w (9w5d), 1/6 d&c
    You will always be loved & missed our sweet angel.
  • We are going to have to next month when we add in the infant seat. We were playing around last weekend trying to make it work.  Her seat butts up against the seat backs and I can't move my seat up anymore and safely drive and DH doesn't fit in the passanger seat if it is up far enough.

She is also pushing off the back seat and after a couple of days of doing that she pushes her seat way back.  We've had it inspected twice and they have done the installation and she can still push hard enough to push the seat back so the base isn't level.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Yes, we turned DD1's carseat around. When I was hugely pregnant, I had a heck of a time trying to get her into her seat RF. We have an SUV and I'm rather short so it was a real struggle. I'm hoping to keep DD2 RFing for much longer than DD1 if we can, however.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • No, and I won't be turning her around for awhile. She only weighs 17 lbs and is only 28 inches tall.
  • I turned my son around 13 months.  I didn't want to, I wanted to rear face until at least 2.  HOWEVER, he was constantly throwing up in the car and he'd be car sick up to an hour after getting out.  I was spending so much time looking at him in the rear view mirror that I wasn't paying as much attention to the road as I should of been.  I got to the point where I didn't want to drive without my husband.  My doctor suggested we try FF him.  He hasn't puked one day since.  And I pay much better attention to the road now that he isn't constantly throwing up in the car and screaming due to severe nausea. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • We turned DS around around 1 yr. old, he's large for his age, above the 95%.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Hell no. And doing so because "you're a professional driver" or because its just a "rec not the law" makes you sound so incredibly stupid.
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • imageJ+MS:
    Hell no. And doing so because "you're a professional driver" or because its just a "rec not the law" makes you sound so incredibly stupid.

I am praying the comment about being a prodriver was sarcasm...We are thinking about turning around DS soon. He has an appt with the pedi Monday and I want to see what his height and weight is. I keep hitting my head getting him in and out of the car. Not to mention I bruise easily...so I look like I got into a fight or something most of the time. :) Yes I am clumsy! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • DD is still rear facing, but it is getting very cramped for her that way.  I have a feeling once a winter coat and bulky boots come into play, which will probably be sometime between the middle of next month and the first few weeks of December, I will have to turn her around.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"