Utah Babies

Possibly relocating to Salt Lake City

Hi,

We are possibly relocating to Salt Lake in December and really know nothing about the area.  We have moved quite a bit but never landed in Utah.  I am familiar with the cooler temps after living in Colorado but wondering about areas or neighborhoods.  Are there some we would be smart to stay out of?  We will most likely lease a house to make sure the area is a good fit for us.  I have a 3 year old DD and another on her way.

Thanks!

lollipopspigtails.blogspot.com

Re: Possibly relocating to Salt Lake City

• Hi there!  Sorry you haven't had a reply yet.  It's amazing that this post has been viewed 12 times but no one responded.

I live about 30 miles north of SLC near Ogden.  In SLC, there are definitely parts to avoid (IMHO).  West Valley City/Magna are the biggest ones to avoid.  High crime/gang activity there (just check the news!).  It also depends on the amount of money you want to spend.  You will pay more for a house in say, the east part of SLC, but you will most likely pay less in the northern or western part.  Are you going with a realtor?  They might be able to give you some good ideas...  Are you for sure going with SLC, or can you live outside that area?  Bountiful is a good place, but also a little spendy, depending on where you go.  South or West Jordan are more south of SLC, but are also nice places.  Sandy isn't bad. 

Congrats on the 2nd LO.  I have an 11 month old.

If you want, you can email me at pixiefairy1981 [at] gmail [dot] com.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like PP said I would stay clear of those areas as well! 

Anywhere east of the I-15 is typically more exspensive/nicer than places to the west! HTH!  

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you so much! It took me a while to reply, I've been out of town. We could live where ever in the area as long as the drive isn't too bad. The locations the company are looking at buying (for business not us to live in) are Draper, West Jordan, Logan and West Valley City. We are hoping to know in the next month or so if it will be there or Colorado. I will check the locations right now.Thank you again.Whitney
    lollipopspigtails.blogspot.com
  • FYI, Logan is about 2 hours from Salt Lake, so it would be a totally different part of the state.

Good luck!

• I live in Bountiful and LOVE it here!  A lot of people commute from my area to the Draper/West Jordan area.  It's a beautiful, safe community with lots of families.  It's about a 15 minute commute to downtown SLC.  Lots of good restaurants and shopping with little traffic around town.  It is pricier than certain areas and that is a good thing.  Draper and Sandy are great places to land also.  I personally would stay away from West Valley City & some areas of Ogden.  It kind of sounds like Ogden is too far north anyway. Like the PP have said, you basically want to stay east of I-15.  You should definitely check out South Davis County.  I am bias, but it really is a great place to raise a family.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you're looking in the Salt Lake area I'd consider Sugarhouse, I'm not sure on house prices there but it's a really cute town and close to downtown Salt Lake and everything.  I'm going to echo the other comments- I would never live in West Valley. . . way too creepy.
  • definitely avoid anything west of I-15. although people seem to enjoy living in south jordan. i live a few miles east of downtown SLC and love it. it's close to everything and is relatively inexpensive for living so close to the city. sugarhouse is a good area, or the avenues. i think anything too deep in the suburbs aka draper or sandy or bountiful is a bit too quiet for my taste. but those areas will be cheaper. good luck in your search, it's a great city! something for everyone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I live in Centerville which is just north of Bountiful. (From South to North it goes, Salt Lake City, North Salt Lake, Bountiful, Centerville, Farmington, Kaysville...and so on.) I LOVE Davis County. It's a really nice area to raise a family just like the pp who lives in Bountiful said. My husband works in South Salt Lake but we live right by the freeway so it's easy access and isn't a very long commute (we don't hear the freeway traffic either.) Good luck!
  • There are good and bad parts in EVERY area in SLC. I live in West Valley and it's a very nice neighborhood and doesn't have a lot of crime or gangs. You will find crime and gangs in every area, we moved from a very nice neighborhood on the east side of SLC (Holladay/Sugar house area) because we had a home invasion, so any area can be a "bad" area.   

Your best bet would be to check out the neighborhood, the houses and families. I love our area in WVC, lots of families, when we moved in to our new home everyone was really friendly and helpful, even had a few neighbors come over and welcome us to the neighborhood.  There's new developments all over the valley and really you're moving to SLC, UT not Compton, CA or Detroit, MI...  

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I live in West Jordan (West of the freeway! GASP!) and we love it.  Very family friendly and great neighbors.  Haven't noticed any criminal activity either.  Sandy/Draper are both very nice and much more expensive housing wise.  I agree with the other person about West Valley City, parts of it are scary/gang infested, and parts are nice.  Depends on the neighborhood.  Rose Park area of SLC has a bad reputation but I have heard some good things about it as well. 
  • I live on 3900 S / 4100 S, and we are on the cusp of the "ghetto"  if you live in north Salt Lake you want to stay east of the 15, if you land in south salt lake, make sure you research the area.  When are you looking to re-locate?  I've lived all over salt lake, and personally my favorites were Cottonwood Heights, and Sandy.  VERY family oriented, friendly neighbors that watched out for you and your family, wards (if you're mormon) were more friendly and diverse, people seemed to drive better around there... Anyhow, I've lived LOADS of places in SLC, message me and I can help no problems!  BTW congrats on the new little one!!  I'm 5wks w/ my first and I'm so excited!  Good luck!!
    BFP - March 31st 2013 - MC on April 6th 2013<br>
    BFP - May 11th 2013 - MC on May 15th 2013<br>
    BFP - June 22nd 2013 - MC on June 30th 2013<br>
    BFP - September 2013 - MC September 2013<br>
    BFP - October 31, 2013 - December 17th - found out baby stopped growing at 7wks - natural MC December 20th 2013

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think it really depends on your family and interests and what would suit you.

Sugarhouse and Avenues are awesome but they can be more pricey. It has more of a city/ artsy feel. There are super cute little houses from the art and crafts period! DH's grandparents live here and I LOVE their tree lined street with old lamposts.

Cottonwood Heights/Holladay: My SIL lives here and loves it. You are about 10 minutes from both the Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons, but yet 10 minutes from downtown on the I-215. A lot of her neighbors and friends are into skiing, hiking, cycling, etc  

Sandy/Draper are super nice especially the closer that you get to the mountains. There are some questionable neighborhoods in Sandy (but I think if you look East or South it shouldn't be a problem). More of surburbia. 

South Valley/ West side (Riverton and South Jordan) are the very South of the Valley but yet still close to the freeway. You can buy a bigger house here for your money. SIL lives in Herriman ( a little further west) and it is really family friendly. I think there are about 20 kids just on her cul de sac.

Personally, I would stay away from West Valley, Magna and anything too far west!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We live in West Jordan too, and LOVE it, I haven't seen anything "ghetto" or white trash here!!! I grew up in Holladay and Loved that too, but there was a LOT more crime there than here in WJ! You really just need to look at each area and see what you think. There are areas in magna that are decent, areas in west valley that are decent, areas in south salt lake that are decent. I've also lived in Sandy, and Draper, and loved those as well. Riverton, cottonwood heights, south jordan, those are all great too.  (sorry to reply just to your post MamaLindy haha but just wanted you to know someone agrees with you about WJ!!!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"