Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Milk on the back of tounge

I have a 1 month old girl and she has milk on the back or her tounge...Its stuck and try to clean with a cloth but I cant go all the way ...does anybody know any solution to this???

Re: Milk on the back of tounge

• Sounds like thrush.  Don't try to scrub it off.  She will need antibiotics.  Nothing serious but if you nurse she can transfer it to your nipples and I've heard it's not so pleasant.  Thrush can make eating painful for babies.  Definitely give your pedi a call.
    ~Married my best friend 06/27/2010~ ~Miscarriage July 2010~ ~Hannah Leigh born 07/26/2011 (5 weeks early) @ 8:38am 4lbs 15oz~
    imageimage
  • DD has had that for a month.  The pedi's office told me it was thrush if it couldn't be wiped away.  She was on meds for 2 weeks, with no change.  My neighbor is a Dr, and said it does not look like thrush.  When we went on Tuesday, her pedi agreed that there are usually white spots all over the mouth, not just the tongue, and said it is likely a buildup of milk.  Also, both Dr's said it usually is not painful for them, but can upset their tummies.

Good luck.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageITeachK:

DD has had that for a month.  The pedi's office told me it was thrush if it couldn't be wiped away.  She was on meds for 2 weeks, with no change.  My neighbor is a Dr, and said it does not look like thrush.  When we went on Tuesday, her pedi agreed that there are usually white spots all over the mouth, not just the tongue, and said it is likely a buildup of milk.  Also, both Dr's said it usually is not painful for them, but can upset their tummies.

Good luck.

This is what I was told also. In our case it was because DS liked eating and at the time he needed to eat every 2 hours! hehehe It's going away now that he is putting more time between feedings.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecandicem3:
    imageITeachK:

DD has had that for a month.  The pedi's office told me it was thrush if it couldn't be wiped away.  She was on meds for 2 weeks, with no change.  My neighbor is a Dr, and said it does not look like thrush.  When we went on Tuesday, her pedi agreed that there are usually white spots all over the mouth, not just the tongue, and said it is likely a buildup of milk.  Also, both Dr's said it usually is not painful for them, but can upset their tummies.

Good luck.

This is what I was told also. In our case it was because DS liked eating and at the time he needed to eat every 2 hours! hehehe It's going away now that he is putting more time between feedings.

My DD eats every two hours as well.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My son has this too and his pedi said it is not thrush, it's a build up of milk that is easily mistaken for thrush.  Like your LO mine doesn't have the white spots in his mouth.  Pedi said even if it was thrush he wouldn't treat it unless he wasn't eating, he says there is no need to introduce antibiotics into his system if it doesn't bother him.  From what I've read many pedis don't treat thrush unless it is impeding their eating/weight gain.

ETA: Pedi said to leave it alone and it would go away on it's own.

TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"