October 2011 Moms
Options

Headaches - why call the doctor?

I know that they say if you have a persistent headache to call the doctor or labor and delivery, but why? Is there risk to the baby if you have headache that goes too long? I am just a little confused on this one right now.

I have had a headache since Sunday night, it is all in my sinuses and isn't unusual for me to get these this time of year. I see the doctor today so I will talk to him about it, but I was just curious why they say to call the doctor for persistent headaches????

Thanks

Re: Headaches - why call the doctor?

• Options
    My doctor just always asks me if I've had headaches, because it could mean high blood pressure.
  • Options

It could mean there is the onset of Pre-E.  I have been having them as well and since DH is an EMT he checks my Blood Pressure every day.  But it has been perfect so I am thinking its allergies.  Call you DR.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Second Birthday tickers  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine never asks about headaches but sometimes it is an indicator of pre-e so that's why you should call about persistent ones. I occasionally get a sinus one that lasts for days then goes away. I've never bothered calling. You should still mention it to your doctor since you are going today. If it were a migraine type headache, I would call right away!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the info - that makes me feel better. My BP has been perfect so I am not so worried about pre-e, but I will definitely bring up the headache to the doc today.
  • Options

imageChrissyDipi:
    Thanks for the info - that makes me feel better. My BP has been perfect so I am not so worried about pre-e, but I will definitely bring up the headache to the doc today.
    My BP had been perfect all pregnancy too, til my 36 week checkup last week when it was 146/96. This week I might have to do the urine capture. I've had a wicked headache but thought it was sinuses/allergies (common for me in Sept/Oct every year) so I didn't think anything of it. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It could be a sign of pre-e which is dangerous to you and the baby.
    After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• Options

I also had perfect BP until mt 37 week appointment so my doctor did bloodwork and has me monitor my BP from home. It turns out I am fine but I still check my BP if I have a headache.

Basically, even if you have had perfect BP this whole pregnancy the onset of pre-e could be sudden so do not just go by your doctor checking your BP once a week.

I heart Ben!!
    October 11, 2008
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Trusty Gal blog|Trusty Tales
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"