March 2012 Moms

f/u to "things my dr said he won't do during labor/birth"

i just got home from work and went back to look at all of the responses.  thanks for taking the time to respond, ladies!!  i wanted to respond to some of your questions and comments, but thought the post was too far buried, so here i am.  :)

i should have mentioned in my post, but i thought some/most already knew that i'm a certified professional midwife, that is the kind that only works out of the hospital, and have been for years.  i've delivered over a hundred babies and attended 200+ births where i was the assistant, in addition to 150ish births in midwifery school during my 10+ yr journey with midwifery.  i'm not just pulling some of my requests out of my butt.  Lol. 

geez, i sound like i'm applying for a job or something...lol. 

to Fergie+1, the reason i don't want the hep b vaccine is that my newborn baby isn't at risk for developing it.  i'm not saying that we'll never get it, i just don't think baby needs that in the first 24 hrs of life.  the eye ointment treats vaginal infections in the mom, specifically gonorrhea, which i don't have.  of course i would wait to leave the hosp until we are rested and everyone is ok.  at the birth centers i have worked at, in 3 diff states, the average time was 4-6 hrs after birth.  oh and the stitches...i have repaired plenty of women's bottoms and it really depends on the tear, sometimes you do more damage to the tissues by repairing it.  the body has an amazing ability to heal. 

sorry y'all, this post is long enough already...

ETA: fixed fellow bumpie's sn. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: f/u to "things my dr said he won't do during labor/birth"

• You are a midwife and you have been holding out on us??? Texas!!

I don't understand why a lot of your requests can't be granted? 

dx MF & FF IF
    Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
    IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
    Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
    Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
    Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
    Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Sorry your going through this with your Dr.   I watched "The Business of Being Born."  Midwives rule!   I so changed my mind for a while about a hospital birth.   You all experience "old fashion" birth methods,  while most Dr.s are surgeons that rarely experience it in a lifetime.   I respect our opinion fully!  

Kind Regards 

• Loading the player...
  • imageTexas77again:

to ITPK, the reason i don't want the hep b vaccine is that my newborn baby isn't at risk for developing it.  i'm not saying that we'll never get it, i just don't think baby needs that in the first 24 hrs of life.

I think you mean to say this to someone else (no snark intended) Our child isn't getting Hep B at all, so I'm not the one that got all judgy mcjudgerson on that one Wink 

Good for you for sticking with your guns!  

• imageIteachPK:
    imageTexas77again:

to ITPK, the reason i don't want the hep b vaccine is that my newborn baby isn't at risk for developing it.  i'm not saying that we'll never get it, i just don't think baby needs that in the first 24 hrs of life.

I think you mean to say this to someone else (no snark intended) Our child isn't getting Hep B at all, so I'm not the one that got all judgy mcjudgerson on that one Wink 

Good for you for sticking with your guns!  

oops, sorry that was for Fergie +1.  i'll fix the OP.  :)  

• imageAlliebooberz:

You are a midwife and you have been holding out on us??? Texas!!

I don't understand why a lot of your requests can't be granted? 

heehee, well i've said it before.  it's not like i want to start every post/response with, "since I'M a mw...." that's totally douchey. 

the best i can guess is that this particular dr at this particular hospital (army dr, army hosp) is not used to labor/birth alternatives.  i think he is used to the one way he was taught and has never learned anything different, it's just a guess. 

he is cool with home birth for low-risk women and says that there's a tiny tiny sliver ray of hope that i can still have one, i think he's just blowing smoke, but if i do have one i invited him to come over and be a part of it.  he said he might take me up on that, IF i can get to that point.  we'll see i guess.

• Dude!  I had no idea you're a midwife!  Honestly, I think that should help your situation since as a midwife you know more than most when things are actually medically necessary and when they aren't!  Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagetash_rn:
    Dude!  I had no idea you're a midwife!  Honestly, I think that should help your situation since as a midwife you know more than most when things are actually medically necessary and when they aren't!  Good luck!

blessing and a curse at the same time, ya know?  like in regards to the delayed cord clamping, when i told the dr i wanted him to do that he said no.  i asked why and he said increase in jaundice with it.  that is absolutely NOT true.  every single normal out of hosp birth that i have attended had delayed cord cutting, this is just very common with the out of hosp crowd.  in school we did partial lotus births, that is where we wouldn't cut the cord at all until an hour or so after the placenta came out, unless the family wanted it cut sooner.  no way did we see an increase in jaundice, if we did we wouldn't do that, our goal is not to hurt babies. 

• I'm with you on the hep b vaccine and the eye ointment. Nice to know other people are on the same page as me!
  • imageMcGibbon51311:
    I'm with you on the hep b vaccine and the eye ointment. Nice to know other people are on the same page as me!

in school i actually put some of the erythromycin eye ointment in my own eyes to see what it was like.  it didn't hurt at all, it just made everything blurry for awhile.  it was good for me to see what it was like for the babies. 

• just wondering, where in tx are you?
  • i'm not in TX anymore.  :(  
  • we did the eye ointment & vit k shot with DD but held off on heb b until 9 months and she will get her 2nd shot in a month to "catch" her up. our babysitter is state certified and when inspected the state had some issues with my delayed... separating vaccines & DD's vaccine record saying it wasn't valid. I did submit the form I signed that I declined certain ones and that seemd to satisfy them for now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"