1st Trimester

Zoloft users?

Doctor prescribed Zoloft for an anxiety disorder.  I was given the prescription at 8 weeks but wanted to wait and see if I could control the anxiety.  I  started the medication 11w3days because I just couldn't funciton normally anymore.  I was given 25 mg and was told I could up it to 50mg if needed.  Just curious how many mg most people take because I didn't want to take it in the first place , but the 25mg is just not doing much and I was advised to move to 50mg?

Also, how long did it take for this medicine to kick in and to feel the effects?  Thanks.

Re: Zoloft users?

• Hi!  I'm not Zoloft user, but do know about it as a student pharmacist :)  You should start to feel a difference after 1-2 weeks of use.  It typically takes 4-6 weeks to reach the maximum benefit.  As far as the dose, if your doctor feels this is safe I would feel comfortable taking it.  You can always ask your OB or pharmacist to be sure.  Good luck!  
  • Yup, full effect 4-6 weeks, you should start to feel some effects sooner than that, but often those close to you notice the changes first.  Typical doses are 100-200mg per day.  Hope you feel better soon.  I'm both a pharmacist, and have had anxiety disorders in the past, so I've been there.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have anxiety issues as well. I was taking meds, until I found out I was pregnant. I stopped taking it, but found out a week later, June 2011, I miscarried. I never went back on it because we wanted to try again. I am now 6 weeks along and would rather not take the chance. There is so much out there about the harmful effects of taking Zoloft while pregnant.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Tickerimage
  • As soon as I get a new psychiatrist on board, I'm hoping to go back to 50 mg.  I took anti-depressants for a year after losing my son, first Pristiq (which was wonderful, but not yet proven safe during pregnancy) and then Zoloft when we decided to ttc again.  My OB really wanted me to avoid it during the first trimester, but the anxiety is getting worse and worse and interfering more and more.  I think if I didn't have work issues piled on top of the pregnancy I could cope (and vice versa), but I'm really struggling and have started having paralyzing moments (not quite panic attacks) and vivid and upsetting nightmares.

So time for me to find a new psych.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

• Just a heads up on the zoloft, I used to take it and then when I decided to wean off of it it was horrible! I would feel like I had a horrible flu for like three days each time I reduced the dose. body pain, head ache, fatigue, diarrhea. It was so bad I planned it around 3 day weekends and holidays so I would have time to get over it! Maybe your doc can recommend something that doesn't have such a bad withdrawal?
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just make sure you are informed about the effects it can have on a baby.  I have heard about so many birth defects caused by zoloft.  Be careful.
  • Zoloft is approved for use in pregnancy.  Talk to your doctor and/or pharmacist about potential side-effects.  Often the effects of not taking the meds are more severe than taking them.

Your doctor is not going to knowingly prescribe something harmful.

For accurate information on risks, here are a few trustworthy sources:

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antidepressants/DN00007

https://www.marchofdimes.com/complications_depression.html

https://www.adaa.org/living-with-anxiety/women/pregnancy-and-medication

Ultimately though, your doctor and psychiatrist should be your primary resources as they know the most about you and your care.  

My Blog

• imagebeckstyle:
    Just a heads up on the zoloft, I used to take it and then when I decided to wean off of it it was horrible! I would feel like I had a horrible flu for like three days each time I reduced the dose. body pain, head ache, fatigue, diarrhea. It was so bad I planned it around 3 day weekends and holidays so I would have time to get over it! Maybe your doc can recommend something that doesn't have such a bad withdrawal?

I had no problems weaning off Zoloft.  A bit of headache for a day, that was it.  I had a horrid, horrid time weaning off Pristiq, though.  It's strange how we individually react to these.

My Blog

• Well I am going to trust my doctor who told me that the benefits for me out weigh the risks of suffering from terrible anxiety.
  • I was on Zoloft (25mg) before becoming pregnant for very mild depression.  My doctor would like me to come off of it completely during this pregnancy but she let me stay on it the entire duration of my previously pregnancy.  Although DS is a perfectly healthy and thriving 3 year old, I still worry about the risk of birth defects with this current pregnancy.  I have tried weaning myself off of it before but had horrible withdrawal side effects (extreme moodiness, dizzy spells, headache, etc.) and started taking it again.  My advice to you would be not to take it if you feel you don't need it; but if you need it, take it!
  • Doctors recommend Zoloft for pregnancy because is has given the LEAST amount of birth defects. That is what a doctor told me friend after he told her she could take that instead of prozac. It is still taking a chance, regardless. You cant always trust your doctor to know if its safe... when our parents and granparents had us, the doctors thought smoking and drinking were safe during pregnancy!
  • It may depend on how long you take it, I had HORRIBLE withdrawals that lasted 3 months. After taking 100 mg for 2 years. Awful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"