Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Topless Jeep Safe?

I've been doing some research all over the internet and I can't find anything stating whether having a rear facing infant with the top off my Jeep is safe or dangerous.  Obviously I don't plan to take her on the freeway with it topless since it seems like it would be too loud and a bit freaky for her.  However, around town at 40-45 mph tops, I can't find any answers for.  Has anyone else heard anything or experienced this?  My DD is 5 months, nearly 17 lbs and has a convertible car seat.  (I'm actually kinda jealous of her seat. It's huge and comfortable looking)

Thanks for any help!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Topless Jeep Safe?

• IMO, I wouldn't put DS in one at all. I had one and got rid of it prior to getting pregnant. I used to go mudding all the time and have had plenty of friends roll theirs. Obviously you aren't going to be driving crazy but they roll so easily and you never know what other drivers are going to do.

• I have a convertible and I put the top down with DD in it and she LOVED it.  I only went like 5 blocks and hit a whopping speed of 30mph...but I felt it was safe.  I guess just make sure that your LO is dressed appropriate for the weather, strapped in safely, and that you are extra cautious about other vehicles.
    image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds like fun and that your LO would probably really enjoy it but my concern would be things flying and hitting your LO; like gravel, rocks, bugs etc. Its why I don't even drive with the windows down while I have my LO in the car.

DS1 5/15/11
    DS2 12/20/12
  • I wouldn't do it, but I'm an overly cautious person by nature. ?I would be worried about rolling, or even things from the road flying up and hitting LO. ?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't. Even my 4yr old freaks out when she sees open top jeeps with kids in them... but my 4yr is pretty anal. Huh?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks for all the responses so far!  I'm not worried about anything flying into the car since she's backwards.  I don't see how things could fly into the car while I'm moving forward and the object is moving backwards.  Jeeps are pretty bottom heavy, too, so rolling it while driving around my town doesn't seem likely unless we're in an accident.
  • I wouldn't. Flying debris picked off of other cars could pose a danger. I wouldn't risk it.
    TTC #2
    BFP 3/28/16 (EDD 12/9/16) * Chemical pregnancy
    ME: 40 yrs.old
    DH: 41 yrs.old
    DD: 5 yrs.

• my first response.. omg.. is she BSC?  seriously.    anything can happen in any type of car, but why would you take that chance.  Make having the top off a special thing for yourself when you are alone.. not with your child.

but to answer your question, I vaguely remember a friend who had a jeep and got rid of it when her twins were born b/c they knew they could never take the top off.. something along the lines of the wind pressure too much for the baby to handle.  not real specific on what the issue was, but it always stuck.  I never even put the window down near my baby..and the 2 year is just now getting used to the idea.

• imagebrunoshort:
    Thanks for all the responses so far!  I'm not worried about anything flying into the car since she's backwards.  I don't see how things could fly into the car while I'm moving forward and the object is moving backwards.  Jeeps are pretty bottom heavy, too, so rolling it while driving around my town doesn't seem likely unless we're in an accident.

Really?

• I'm gonna go with no on this one.  Take the top off when you go out and run errands on your own.  
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• imagekatie4253:
    I'm gonna go with no on this one.  Take the top off when you go out and run errands on your own.  

Yes

1st pregnancy: m/c began 1/12/09 d&c 1/13/09 8wks. Baby stopped growing at about 6wks.

Delaney: Born 10/15/09

Gavin: Born 4/8/11

Baby #3: due July 10, 2014

• imageMrs.McLovin:

imagebrunoshort:
    Thanks for all the responses so far!  I'm not worried about anything flying into the car since she's backwards.  I don't see how things could fly into the car while I'm moving forward and the object is moving backwards.  Jeeps are pretty bottom heavy, too, so rolling it while driving around my town doesn't seem likely unless we're in an accident.

Really?

I'll admit, this whole paragraph made me laugh.

I'm sure that a vehicle that comes factory equipped with a roll cage and fire extinguisher is really hard to roll over. Sure...

Jeeps are fun, they really are. Go topless on your own time. My step-mom (owns a Wrangler) puts the soft top on when she's driving the grandkids around. I'm talking about the 8+ year old grandkids. She'd put the hardtop on if any of them were still in car seats. She's 62 years old and off-roads in a Jeep, so she's pretty wreckless... even she won't do that.

ETA: My son is 6.5 months old and he still gasps a little bit if he gets a fair amount of wind to the face. Just something to think about.

• Lol @ the fire extinguisher.  Mine seems to be lacking that accessory.  Taking it off-roading, yes, it'll be more likely to roll.  Rolling at 35 mph?

I was hoping for less sarcasm and more serious input. 

• imagebrunoshort:

Lol @ the fire extinguisher.  Mine seems to be lacking that accessory.  Taking it off-roading, yes, it'll be more likely to roll.  Rolling at 35 mph?

Here is some serious imput:

You want someone to tell you it's ok to put your infant in an open top Jeep.

Not sure you will find it. Your judgement is questionable and your rationale thought is lacking. The vehicle is not the best choice for a baby. Grow up.

• imagesrs5624:
    imageMrs.McLovin:

imagebrunoshort:

Really?

I'll admit, this whole paragraph made me laugh.

I'm sure that a vehicle that comes factory equipped with a roll cage and fire extinguisher is really hard to roll over. Sure...

Jeeps are fun, they really are. Go topless on your own time. My step-mom (owns a Wrangler) puts the soft top on when she's driving the grandkids around. I'm talking about the 8+ year old grandkids. She'd put the hardtop on if any of them were still in car seats. She's 62 years old and off-roads in a Jeep, so she's pretty wreckless... even she won't do that.

ETA: My son is 6.5 months old and he still gasps a little bit if he gets a fair amount of wind to the face. Just something to think about.

They come equipped with those b/c people do go off roading and do crazy things. I would listen to your gut, if your LO doesn't mind the wind and you feel safe, go for it.

• imageMrs.McLovin:

imagebrunoshort:

Really?

I need to rephrase this.  If stuff is flying at the car, it's moving past us.  I've never experienced debris flying past the car and then turning itself around and flying into the car.  This was an honest statement.  Having the windows down in our car before LO was even thought of, I've never had anything fly into the car.  

• imageMrs.McLovin:
    imagebrunoshort:

Lol @ the fire extinguisher.  Mine seems to be lacking that accessory.  Taking it off-roading, yes, it'll be more likely to roll.  Rolling at 35 mph?

Here is some serious imput:

You want someone to tell you it's ok to put your infant in an open top Jeep.

Not sure you will find it. Your judgement is questionable and your rationale thought is lacking. The vehicle is not the best choice for a baby. Grow up.

I'm not looking for reassurance.  I'm looking for real experience.  I posted in a forum in hopes that anyone had been in a similar situation and resolved it. 

• imagebrunoshort:

Here is some serious input.

No one is worried about how safe a car is when it does not get into an accident.  If you never get hit or hit anything, it doesn't matter if you never wear your seatbelt and talk on your phone constantly drinking a beer with your baby strapped to your back. 

Jeeps are not safe cars when they get hit by other cars.  This is because they roll more easily than other cars. My dad would not let me get a jeep when I was a teenager because of this.  I'm guessing that you've never been in a car accident, but please believe that it is quite likely that you will be someday (G-d forbid), and when that happens you will not want it to happen in a jeep.  With the top down.

Yes, you can get hit and roll if you're only going 35 mph.  You don't control whether another car runs a stop sign going 45 in a 35 zone and t-bones your car.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"