Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Male co-worker just walked in on me pumping

It's 5:20pm, I'm sitting in my office with the door closed, pumping before I go to the gym. The rest of the office is usually gone by this time so I assume I don't need to post a note on my door, right?

Wrong. One of my young male co-workers, a new jr. salesperson who doesn't work with me so he's not aware of this activity I do, just opened my door without knocking to ask if he should lock the front door. I said, "I'm pumping in here!" but he just stood there, staring, trying to comprehend what the hell I was talking about. I guess that means absolutely nothing to a 22 y.o. male without kids. Ha. Fortunately, I was wearing my nursing cover. And that was awkward enough.

Bet he won't be doing that again!

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Male co-worker just walked in on me pumping

• Options

Aw, man, that stinks! I did LOL while reading his reaction. I can just picture it perfectly! The good news is, he won't walk in your office again when your door is shut.

I never pump with a cover on, in fact, I just take my shirt off now to make it easier.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

OMG.....how horrible!!!!   I used to do that too and was always nervous about someone coming in--even though I checked the lock like a million times.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm an auditor so I got from client to client (aka...no normalcy to where I pump).  A few months ago I was pumping in an empty room which had two doors, one I assumed was locked and the other I personally locked.  Well the one I assumed was locked leads out to the stairs (there is another door that is used by the rest of the staff).  Well I could hear someone walking up the stairs and assumed that that person would use the main door (the one that EVERYONE uses).  Boy was I wrong and of course the door wasn't locked! This older gentleman walked in and I was facing him (no nursing cover) and was like "I'm in here" (who says that?? like he's going to know I'm doing something in an office that shouldn't be walked in on).  He stood there looking dumbfounded and it took him about 3 seconds to realize what I was doing and he turned around and slammed the door shut!  I stayed in the room for an additional 5 minutes because I didn't want to have to face this guy.  I didn't see him again!  I now make sure all doors are locked and that even if someone walked in on me, they won't see anything Embarrassed

Oh what we do to nurture our babies :)

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

LOL!!

I walked in on my aunt who was visiting from out of town, when I was a teenager, and it was SO WEIRD looking to me then!  So I can imagine what he was thinking, even without seeing anything!  Really left an impression I guess, because now I'm paranoid about where I pump LOL!!

• Options
    I guess I don't see the big deal since you had a cover on.  I would see how it might be awkward if you didn't have a cover on and your tatas were hanging out, but you were covered up. 
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Oh, no! I'm sooo sorry! I have construction paper over my one office window (the one in the door), and I have blinds I can pull down over the big window, but one of the slats in the blinds is missing. Someone would totally be having to TRY to look in my window, but the picnic table for students to study at and enjoy the outdoors is RIGHT outside my window. Yikes!

I don't have a "normal" nursing bra yet that I can wear under businessy clothes, so I'm topless in my office at least twice a day. Tongue Tied

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

• Options
    If I were wearing my nursing cover, I would not have cared one bit.  Should he have knocked?  Sure, but it's not like he even got a glimpse of nip.
  • Options

Well that's what he gets for not knocking. Seriously, who does that??

I'm glad for you that you were wearing a cover, but I would be livid.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture114b Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

My grandfather walked in on me and just went ahead and had a conversation with me like it was nothing unusual.  It was weird.  I told my grandmother later and she was like "oh, don't worry, he'll act like it never happened".

lol

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    If someone walked in on me they would be traumatized. I would laugh at the person but I get practically naked so there would be NO mistaking what was going on. Thank heavens for an office that locks automatically behind me and a code to get in. Oh and only like four people in the office know the code.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options
    I have had two male coworkers "walk in" on me. Thankfully both times I have been covered. I pump in my classroom behind a dividing wall with a sign that says "do not enter: pumping in progress." One of the therapists came in and stuck his head right over the wall and was asking me about a meeting. I was like "uh hello, pumping here." He apparently thought the aides in my classroom were playing a joke on me. The other guy was younger and clearly had no idea what "pumping" was. He looked right over the wall and was trying to hand me something. I wasn't hands free at the time. LOL. He didn't seem too embarrassed though.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageSarahP15:
    I guess I don't see the big deal since you had a cover on.  I would see how it might be awkward if you didn't have a cover on and your tatas were hanging out, but you were covered up. 

ITA.  Even if I were totally hanging out, I think I'd just get over it and realize that the guy probably felt way more embarrassed than I did. 

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options

I don't really have a "private room" to pump in.  It's an office with a locked door, and usually 1-2 female coworkers in there.  I face away from them and pump away.  They know what I'm doing.  Occasionally someone will knock and they'll open the door a hair to tell them to either go away or figure out what they need.  I work at a busy hospital, and this has worked for me.

It is fun to have the male nurses watch my group of patients for me though.  I love to see their reactions when I tell them I'm pumping.  Although, I'm not even sure they know what that is.  They probably just figure I'm takign some kind of break.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks for the stories, everyone. I enjoyed reading them. :)

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I used to have to pump in the electrical room at my office - it actually wasn't bad, it was pretty warm in there, which I appreciated :)  I would always put a note up on the door.  Something like "Do not enter" but I can't remember exactly.  Once I'm in there pumping- note is on the door & someone starts opening it up.  I'm like "excuse me, i'm in here" and when it kept opening I yell "GET OUT".  So the door slams & I'm trying to figure out what idiot didn't read my sign.

I found out upon exiting that our office had a Hispanic gentleman there doing some work & he couldn't read English.  We all got a good laugh out of it- I mean, I never expected I'd need to post my sign in multiple languages lol!

• Options
    I travel for work so I pump while driving and I always feel weird driving by a truck.  But it is what it is...I bet the look on his face was priceless! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagerobyn183718:

LOL!!

I walked in on my aunt who was visiting from out of town, when I was a teenager, and it was SO WEIRD looking to me then!  So I can imagine what he was thinking, even without seeing anything!  Really left an impression I guess, because now I'm paranoid about where I pump LOL!!

your baby is adorable

• Options
    I only pumped for a short time at work, and thankfully I have all female co-workers (except one gay male).  Plus the office door locks automatically and only the managers have keys.  Once though, I was sitting in there pumping and watching the surveillance monitors (I work retail) and saw someone stealing something.  My reaction time was a little slow, but I pulled up my shirt (still dripping milk, lol), tore open the door and yelled at my manager that someone was shoplifting! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"